Relationship - break up and get back together, how many times can you try?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Its been 3 times now and each time it ends up in disaster with a huge fall out. How many times does one keep going back and trying to make it work?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not meant to be - it shouldn't be that hard - quit now!
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really i thought so. A 4th attempt is just too much i think as history has a habit of repeating itself
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my ex split up twice last year and 3 times this year! I know deep down it will never ever work out but each time he asks me for another chance I can't help but agree. We don't even split due to an argument its just that he decides he can't be bothered anymore. I know that I'm a mug by letting him do this all the time and wish that I could find some strength to let go and move on. It's probably only a matter of time before he's at my door asking again but I hope not as I know I'll probably give him another "last" chance when it will just keep happening. If it was someone else in my position I would want to give them a slap and tell them to get a grip but until your in that situation yourself you never really understand.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc822 wrote:
    Its been 3 times now and each time it ends up in disaster with a huge fall out. How many times does one keep going back and trying to make it work?

Have you talked about what may be causing the problems, had a really good honest talk to clear the air? maybe there is stuff that isn't being said and it won't go away until you both understand the reasons.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I don't understand people who keep going back to the same person over and over. If it didn't work the first time, those issues won't just go away. Maybe a second shot is worth it...but not four times.
  • NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should never get back together with someone until you have resolved the issues that led to you splitting up in the first place.

After 3 times, you have not learnt, so I guess you both never will - call it a day.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    Sounds like he just wants a f*ck buddy to me.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    Me and my ex split up twice last year and 3 times this year! I know deep down it will never ever work out but each time he asks me for another chance I can't help but agree. We don't even split due to an argument its just that he decides he can't be bothered anymore. I know that I'm a mug by letting him do this all the time and wish that I could find some strength to let go and move on. It's probably only a matter of time before he's at my door asking again but I hope not as I know I'll probably give him another "last" chance when it will just keep happening. If it was someone else in my position I would want to give them a slap and tell them to get a grip but until your in that situation yourself you never really understand.

No advice, but my sympathies. I used to like a man like this who blew hot and cold, disappearing for weeks and then reappearing. Now I look back and wonder why I put up with it. You will get to this point too.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    No advice, but my sympathies. I used to like a man like this who blew hot and cold, disappearing for weeks and then reappearing. Now I look back and wonder why I put up with it. You will get to this point too.

Thanks I hope so. We have a daughter together and that's part of the reason why I keep forgiving as I want her to be brought up with her parents together. Now though I realise its unfair and confusing for her. So hopefully I'll get to the point where I can let go, not just for myself but for my daughter.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can I just say, I 100% agree. Your whole situation was the exact same as me and my ex's. She broke it off twice, and came running back. It wasn't even a big argument, but her telling me "she couldn't do it anymore" but each time she would come running back and like an idiot i'd be waiting. The third time she broke it off was the final nail in the coffin. Things got cold and then all of a sudden it felt like we were coming back together for a fourth time, but I knew it wasn't gonna work, so i put my foot down. It was damn hard, but I knew in the long run i'd be better off.

OP, I would say if it doesn't work the second time - it won't work at all. It's easy for me to say "Do the right thing, even if it's not what you want to do" but then again that's easier said than done. The only thing I can say is to look at the long run. If it looks like the same on and off routine will continue, then it's best to stop it now. The longer you drag it out, the harder it is in the end when it definitely is over

Good luck :)
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    women play at sex for love men play at love for sex
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these the only arguments you have?

IE have you just had 3 rows and broken up 3 times?
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd tolerate 1 break-up and 1 reconciliation. After that, then unresolved issues are unlikely to be addressed.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My and my husband split up a few times when we were younger, but then we got together at 13, so between 13-17 I think we split up 3 times. We then got back together in 2002 at 17 and decided to give it one last go, and we are still together and got married in 2010.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Me and my ex ended about 4months ago. complete shock and never expected it, he ended it for numerous "excuses" I say. I felt there was no proper reason for the spilt.
    for me....if there ever was a chance for us to reconcile then I'd probably consider it as I miss him so much and doted on him. I don't think he even realised. but right now....I'm wanting answers and just not getting them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so who is to blame if a relationship breaks down, is it one or the other or are equal to blame?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and my ex ended about 4months ago. complete shock and never expected it, he ended it for numerous "excuses" I say. I felt there was no proper reason for the spilt.
    for me....if there ever was a chance for us to reconcile then I'd probably consider it as I miss him so much and doted on him. I don't think he even realised. but right now....I'm wanting answers and just not getting them.
    Are you able to ask your ex the questions you need answers for?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I tried, but he wanted to be left alone and given time. Apparently my txts were blackmailing....even at the time i was going with all the motions and he said he wouldn't talk if I was going to blackmail him. Even now I wasn't even using blackmail. A lot of my txts and words were anger and confusion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want a roller coaster, something on & off, hot & cold, drama, by all menas give it another go.

If you are sick if this & want stability, walk away, cut off & move on while you still can. My ex was on/off and after 10 stupid months of that crap I pulled the plug. I adored him & it nearly killede but I'm so glad I did.

For the last 15 months he's beem at the same on & off carryon with another girl onlu they've split up 20+ times & there are kids on both sides involved. It's now at the point where they're both posting weepy self loathing statuses on FB when pissed every weekend and you ask them.... "how do you think this will improve & why are you good for each other?"

The answer is it won't, we're not and we can't bear to be alone. Nothing is worth that shit. Being alone is way more preferable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried, but he wanted to be left alone and given time. Apparently my txts were blackmailing....even at the time i was going with all the motions and he said he wouldn't talk if I was going to blackmail him. Even now I wasn't even using blackmail. A lot of my txts and words were anger and confusion
    Anger and confusion causes more upset, it is better to say words that wonder why and to be honest and then you may be given answers that may give a sense of what is important and what you can learn from. Blame can be many things but to some it can take time to understand and to some there is no blame only misunderstanding.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks I hope so. We have a daughter together and that's part of the reason why I keep forgiving as I want her to be brought up with her parents together. Now though I realise its unfair and confusing for her. So hopefully I'll get to the point where I can let go, not just for myself but for my daughter.

You're actually at that point now.

All you have to do is think - what exactly am I teaching my
    daughter?
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,987
    Forum Member

I am one who understands. It happened to me for far too long a period of time, but I just couldn't walk away completely until one day, I did. I decided that if he couldn't be bothered then why should I? And got on with my life.

Fast forward a year or so and we are now living together. I changed my whole attitude towards him and set him straight. I wasn't a doormat and he couldn't keep me "on hold" while he sorted his head and life out.

So, whilst I agree that you shouldn't stay with someone just for the sake of trying to make it work time after time, sometimes it's a case of timing and other stresses and strains getting in the way that have to be worked out. In my case we were both going through divorces.
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member

This. I'm sure all 3 of you will be happier if you let him go for good. He'll always be her father :)
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are right, 3 times is enough as never going to change and wouldnt want to look the fool that keeps going back, would end up looking a sad case to everyone. Its not love, its what was said earlier, being used and i know which one that is. so good riddance, onwards and upwards :)