Options

Has 1D surpassed Leona yet?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    1D will eventually achieve whatever Leona has achieved, except great vocal acknowledgement from peers and critics
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    None of her albums have been "launched with a cover".

Bleeding Love was an original song written by Ryan Tedder and Jesse McCartney. It was originally for Jesse, but Ryan offered it to Leona after reworking the song. 1D have done something similar before by recording Kelly Clarkson's leftovers.

Leona re-released Spirit with Run, which was a cover and a #1 single, however, the album had already been released, she just put out a deluxe version of the same album with some extra songs. It was not a launch.

Happy, which launched her 2nd album Echo, was also an original song written by Leona herself with Ryan and Evan Bogart. It charted at #2 in the UK and within the top 40 in the US.

Trouble was written by Leona and Emeli Sandé and was a top 10 hit. So none of her albums have "been launched by covers". Leona often writes her on her own material and has written for other artists as well, unlike others.

Fair enough about the relaunch of her second album then. I didn't know that and thought it was launched by the cover.

So I was right about Bleeding love after all, it's an original (whether it was written for you or not doesn't matter, if you are the first to put it out, it's an original as far as I am concerned).

I think all the acts try to write & co-write for their albums. The cynic in me thinks that's where the money is, and it sounds better when you talk about your work... So it makes sense. It's also the only way to try to cross over into the "real artist" thing & unstick that X factor stigma.

The 1D boys are also trying to get into this more seriously in their 3rd album, but isn't it better this way? They needed more maturity & experience IMO, they were 16-18 with not real writing experience when they were discovered. They have co-written a couple of tracks in their previous albums, but only the 3rd one is a serious attempt with many more songs, so we'll see what the result is like soon.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Who cares - they're both crap.

Have you ever posted anything positive? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Fair enough about the relaunch of her second album then. I didn't know that and thought it was launched by the cover.

So I was right about Bleeding love after all, it's an original (whether it was written for you or not doesn't matter, if you are the first to put it out, it's an original as far as I am concerned).

I think all the acts try to write & co-write for their albums. The cynic in me thinks that's where the money is, and it sounds better when you talk about your work... So it makes sense. It's also the only way to try to cross over into the "real artist" thing & unstick that X factor stigma.

The 1D boys are also trying to get into this more seriously in their 3rd album, but isn't it better this way? They needed more maturity & experience IMO, they were 16-18 with not real writing experience when they were discovered. They have co-written a couple of tracks in their previous albums, but only the 3rd one is a serious attempt with many more songs, so we'll see what the result is like soon.

Leona Lewis will be remembered for 2 records - Bleeding Love and Run.

1D will be remembered for making several teenage girls wet their pants.

In 5-10 years time both will be forgotten.
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    Have you ever posted anything positive? :o

I've yet to see it :D (At least she's honest though)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis will be remembered for 2 records - Bleeding Love and Run.

1D will be remembered for making several teenage girls wet their pants.

In 5-10 years time both will be forgotten.

LOL. I'm looking forward to having you back on the LM Discussion Thread Michelle :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB92 wrote: »
    LOL. I'm looking forward to having you back on the LM Discussion Thread Michelle :D

Must be my witty repartee and succinct prognosis.:D

Sadly one or two of our friends who lack a sense of humour may not be.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be my witty repartee and succinct prognosis.:D

Sadly one or two of our friends who lack a sense of humour may not be.:D

Definitely, Your posts always make me laugh even if I disagree with them :D

Anyway, here's a link to The X Factor sales thread, where I've posted sales figures for Leona and One Direction if you guys are interested:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=69795424#post69795424
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, here's a link to The X Factor sales thread, where I've posted sales figures for Leona and One Direction if you guys are interested:

I did notice. Be interesting to see if there is a dip in the next round of sales for 1D as I feel they are declining a little.

My daughter, who is 16, was an avid 1D fan has moved on and the posters have come down from the wall. I wonder, given that is the market they were cleared aimed full pelt at, whether some of these fans that were interested have moved on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did notice. Be interesting to see if there is a dip in the next round of sales for 1D as I feel they are declining a little.

My daughter, who is 16, was an avid 1D fan has moved on and the posters have come down from the wall. I wonder, given that is the market they were cleared aimed full pelt at, whether some of these fans that were interested have moved on.

I think that will definitely happen, but I think they've got at least another 2/3 albums in them after this one. The thing is, I think they're more popular in the US than in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well that is part of a discussion thread.

Some people take themselves and their fandom far to seriously and won't entertain the slightest criticism of the group on the LM Thread - if they stopped making this sub-R&B styled music they do make and came up with some catchy, original dance music even I would be a fan.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that is part of a discussion thread.

Some people take themselves and their fandom far to seriously and won't entertain the slightest criticism of the group on the LM Thread - if they stopped making this sub-R&B styled music they do make and came up with some catchy, original dance music even I would be a fan.:D

I'm not sure I'll ever see the day! :D:p
    I think LM have done well to avoid going down the dance route though, which everyone seems to be doing. This helps LM to stand out a bit from everyone else. I appreciate that everyone has different tastes though.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's great that it doesn't matter one jot to you. I'm guessing we can agree they haven't surpassed Leona yet? Good!

Keep clutching at those straws :):)
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    To be fair, Leona made it internationally on her talent.

One Direction made it on screaming teenage girls.

This is so true, you speak sense. :)
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    They will never surpass leona in my eyes.
  • Options
    GetridofcoleGetridofcole Posts: 1,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miles prefer Leona to 1D but I'm sure 1D are the biggest money making act the X factor has ever had. The merchandise 1D got is unreal, when I take my kids to toy stores there's dolls , games clothes , pyjamas , school bags and lunch boxes. There's no end to stuff that they sell with their brand on without the tours and film. Yes Leona is miles more credible and a better singer but it's just a job for both acts and jobs are about making money so I'm pretty sure 1D have made more. Given the choice I reckon cowell would let go of Leona before 1D and that answers the question for me .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I think that will definitely happen, but I think they've got at least another 2/3 albums in them after this one. The thing is, I think they're more popular in the US than in the UK.

The US market is where artists want to be in anyway :D
  • Options
    paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona Lewis has not only one of the best voices in the world, but has also sold 20 million albums, has two grammy nominations and is still one of the nicest, unaffected people in the industry. 1D may be making teenage girls wet themselves but they will never be on the level of Leona, its an insult to her to even compare them to be honest.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    Leona Lewis has not only one of the best voices in the world, but has also sold 20 million albums, has two grammy nominations and is still one of the nicest, unaffected people in the industry. 1D may be making teenage girls wet themselves but they will never be on the level of Leona, its an insult to her to even compare them to be honest.

sadly, she also made it off the back of XF so she had to endure the indignity of being compared to other XF alumni :o:o too much to ask of her? :(
  • Options
    joaniponijoaniponi Posts: 4,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My equation:

1D more famous Leona more successful.

Success is not reducible to commercial success though it includes that.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member

20 million albums? Are you sure? She has sold 3.9 million albums in the UK, so I would doubt an extra 16 million worldwide. That figure looks like single sales too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    sadly, she also made it off the back of XF so she had to endure the indignity of being compared to other XF alumni :o:o too much to ask of her? :(
    She may have made it on X Factor, but since then has more than proven that she is on a completely different level from One Direction when it comes to talent and music.
    1D for example were horrible on Children In Need last night, Leona has never had a lifeless, tuneless and all around bad performance like that. She always brings her amazing voice even when she's ill, she actually had tonsillitis whilst performing on last year's Children In Need and still sounded incredible. Theres just no comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG040EEdS_0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    20 million albums? Are you sure? She has sold 3.9 million albums in the UK, so I would doubt an extra 16 million worldwide. That figure looks like single sales too.
    Yes, her first album alone sold almost 10 million copies worldwide and she has released three. Don't underestimate Leona ;).
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Yes, her first album alone sold almost 10 million copies worldwide and she has released three. Don't underestimate Leona ;).

Sorry, but do you have a source for that?

Not being funny but I find it hard to believe that Echo and Glassheart each sold around 5 million, especially Glassheart that didn't pass 100k in the UK.
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But how is it absurd at all? 1D are not as big - sales wise - as the media would like us to believe.

Both their album sales added together don't pass Leona's first albums sales. Bleeding Love sold more than any of their singles.

I'm in agreement with you here - I don't think people realised the magnitude on what Leona did in that short space of time - it's a shame that her Glassheart album did not sell well :(