Has any UK program ever had a "flash back"/clip (?) show

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
I remember in the 1970s there were a number of US shows that had them, even to the point where we would groan and turn over when we realised it was "one of those episodes".

"flash back" or "clip" shows ???

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Family certainly has, in fact they had 2.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The IT Crowd has, kind of.

I remember them looking up to the cieling as they do when reminiscing.
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every show is becoming a flash back show now; previously, coming up, still to come, after the break, last time, before the break.... It goes on. We are constantly being reminded of what we've just seen, or are about to see, as if we can't be bothered to watch the whole show.

Mitchell and Webb did a sketch on this, naturally. It'll probably be on YouTube.

I know it's not exactly what the OP meant but a lot of shows are padding out their lack of content with this style.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Goodies might have done one, couldn't swear to it though.
    With seasons often 20+ episodes long you can see the temptation for US programmes to sneak a cheap episode in, whilst UK programmes tend to be only 6-8 episodes a series so theres less to cull 'best bits' from and also it would stick out like a sore thumb.
    Like the OP I'd groan and usually switch off when one did crop up.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    The IT Crowd has, kind of.

I remember them looking up to the cieling as they do when reminiscing.

That wasn't to clips of previous episodes though was it?

The OP is referring to those American filler episodes you usually get in sitcoms where they air them at a time when viewership is going to be low so they just do a cheap episode with all the characters sat talking about previous episodes.

I think there are a couple of episodes in UK shows like My Family, but in general we have less episodes in our series so we don't really utilise these kinds of things.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as time goes by had one
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had "Best of" shows that have been filled fill of clips from previous episodes.

First one that springs to mind is "TV Offal: Prime Cuts", but I'm sure there's been more.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean like the final episode of a series which is just made up of 'Best of' clips from the previous episodes of the series?

If you mean that kind of show the first one which comes to mind is last year's 'Weekly Wipe' where episode 6 was just a compilation of the best bits from the previous 5 episodes.

Because I don't think you just mean a drama where a character has a quick flashback to something earlier in their life and then it goes back to normal again do you? Because that is so common I'd imagine most series include that kind of scene.

If you do mean a drama show in which the entire episode is a flashback, didn't Eastenders have one of those a few years ago when Dot was remembering a story sequence set during the second world war?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dallas had a whole year which turned out to be a dream:o
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How I loathe the "clip show" episoodes of things like Friends, The Golden Girls, etc. The "let's talk about this memory" scenes before the clips are always so forced, and the entire concept is just bottom of the barrel TV. I don't know how anyone can watch them. Dreadful things.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I think the original Birds of a Feather did a flashback show where they all sat around reminiscing and they showed lots of old clips.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty certain I watched a Coronation Street episode in the 70's where a few of the characters, including I think Annie Walker recalled days gone by. I remember some of the clips been in black and white
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Morecambe and Wise must have had more ''flash back'' shows than any performers in British TV history, the latest with Penelope Keith over Christmas.
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every show is becoming a flash back show now; previously, coming up, still to come, after the break, last time, before the break.... It goes on. We are constantly being reminded of what we've just seen, or are about to see, as if we can't be bothered to watch the whole show.

Mitchell and Webb did a sketch on this, naturally. It'll probably be on YouTube.

I know it's not exactly what the OP meant but a lot of shows are padding out their lack of content with this style.

Do you have a link? I have no idea what to search for. :)
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blowup wrote: »

Try looking for "the gift shop sketch" and "That mitchell and webb look"
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I remember in the 1970s there were a number of US shows that had them, even to the point where we would groan and turn over when we realised it was "one of those episodes".

"flash back" or "clip" shows ???
    Still happens to this very day. Sitcoms especially tend to do them ironically, it seems, as in 'Yes, we know this ep is basically a clip show, but, hey, everyone else does it, so why not us'. It seems to be one of the sitcom staple 'plots'.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Do you mean like the final episode of a series which is just made up of 'Best of' clips from the previous episodes of the series?

If you mean that kind of show the first one which comes to mind is last year's 'Weekly Wipe' where episode 6 was just a compilation of the best bits from the previous 5 episodes.

Because I don't think you just mean a drama where a character has a quick flashback to something earlier in their life and then it goes back to normal again do you? Because that is so common I'd imagine most series include that kind of scene.

If you do mean a drama show in which the entire episode is a flashback, didn't Eastenders have one of those a few years ago when Dot was remembering a story sequence set during the second world war?
    They mean where there maybe some new content of the characters sitting around and reminiscing and the bulk of the episode is old clips.
    Did the Eastenders episode show old footage?

The Simpsons have done it a couple of times.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_It's_Come_to_This:_A_Simpsons_Clip_Show
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Simpsons_Clip_Show

South Park had a new take on it where they reminisced but the flashbacks were hyperbolised.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_on_the_Edge_of_Forever
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Roseanne has done it - because they made jokes about the two different Becky's in the clips!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Community have done a couple of clip shows - but the clips shown aren't from any episode, it's all completely new footage. I thought that was a great idea :)

As for UK shows - two pints of lager sort of did this at the end of each series, they'd show clips of the series at the end of the last episode.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blowup wrote: »
    Shrike wrote: »
    Try looking for "the gift shop sketch" and "That mitchell and webb look"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely Fabulous did it cleverly in a play form with other people playing them!
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi!

Dick & Dom's Funny Business on CBBC was an interesting one, it ran for one thirteen-episode series, which consisted of ten regular editions and three clipshows (the third also contained some behind-the-scenes footage).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_and_Dom%27s_Funny_Business
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you Radcliffe95, seagull_Mark and Shrike! Had a giggle at that :)
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Absolutely Fabulous did it cleverly in a play form with other people playing them!

That's not what the OP means, they are talking about a show where in one of the episodes there is a little bit of new content but the rest is just clips of old episodes.

Mr. Bean did one of these which aired over Christmas (it's not new though)
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst not a UK show, Star Trek The Next Genraqtion had at least one during a writers stroke and had Riker in a coma and to bring him out of it they induced memories of past shows.