What's in store for Roy ... SB answers some Qs

Moon_StruckMoon_Struck Posts: 104
Forum Member
Worried about how Roy is going to cope.

Just read this on another site:

Now the focus will be on Roy and how he deals with his loss metro.co.uk caught up with Corrie producer Stuart Blackburn to find out what’s in store for Roy in the coming months.

How will Roy be feeling immediately after Hayley’s death?

Immediately after Hayley’s death and in the run up to the funeral one of the things Roy says to people around him is how can he go to that funeral and grieve when he is so angry. He never believed in Hayley’s decision to take her own life. He resents it bitterly and feels it was a selfish act.

The day of the funeral he knows almost certainly that Hayley could still have been alive. She might only have had two or three waking hours but they could have been hours that gave him and her joy.

So not only is he dealing with the grief of losing the only person he’s loved in his life, he’s also got to deal with the anger of what he considers – and what many people would consider – an incredibly selfish and cowardly act. One of the things he thinks is life is not convenient so why should death be.

Will the storyline continue in as much detail with the aftermath of Hayley’s death as it did for the run-up to her death?

There’s a temptation to rush things, in a way the easiest thing is get the funeral over with, look away from Roy, not follow his story and in a couple of months we’ll bring him back and all will be well with the world. I don’t believe that if you’ve lost your soulmate you’re going to wake up a month later and go “right egg and chips anyone?”.

We’ve tried to follow it through as truthfully as we can. And keep Roy the moral, principled man he is and not wake up in the morning and go, “You know what, Hayley way right.”

What he will come to terms with is that it was her decision to make, it was her life and she did have the right to choose that death. He doesn’t agree with it himself, it’s not a decision he would ever take but he will come to terms with it.

How will the story develop?

Come April/May time on television, we slowly, slowly start to see him take an interest in other people’s lives and involve himself in life again. It’s a story that take a long time but it’s a community story as much as anything. Whether he likes it or not, Roy is surrounded by people who love and care for him and cherish him. It’s that which will sustain him.

Without being cheesy, no death is good, it’s horrible and it will haunt him for the rest of his life. But the good news is there is so much love for that man that that will ultimately help sustain him.

Will viewers eventually see begin to open up a little more to close friends, such as Anna and Carla?

He’s an intolerably private person so these protestations of grief and people being tactile with him he absolutely cannot cope with it. So he’s got a long journey to come to terms with how she died and the fact the he could have prevented it. He’s got a long journey in terms of just getting over the grief itself. Roy’s way of dealing with life is incredibly unique. Whilst it will be moving, whilst it will be hard to watch, it’s very different to the scenes we’ve seen before. Only Roy would react in the way he reacts.

In a very Roy way, he’s never going to be a hugger or a man who lies to protect others’ feelings. But we’ve got big stories with both Carla and Anna coming up so the focus will be very much on them and what we’ll see, not in an over-the-top way or a gushing way, but there’s a moment in time for both of those women when Roy steps up to the mark. He remembers they were there for him and Hayley and it’s almost like an unspoken change in Roy.

He’ll go from very much internalising his grief and dealing with it in the way he decides. But rather than sitting down and telling everyone,”I’m better”, it’s the fact he engages with other people’s stories that we can see his emotions changing. He’s got a big debt to Anna and Carla and bit by bit he’ll try and repay that.

His journey is to try and deal with the here and now. That’s the journey he’s got. Eventually he’s going to pull through this, it will just take a little while.

Comments

• StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh...
    I presumed they were going to have Roy being investigated for helping Hayley commit suicide. I'm really glad they're not.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Oh...
    I presumed they were going to have Roy being investigated for helping Hayley commit suicide. I'm really glad they're not.

He didn't have to help her, she was still capable of doing the deed herself. He never agreed with what she wanted to do anyway.

I hope at some stage in the future Roy can have a new relationship with someone. He and Mary get on well together, she always seems lonely in spite of having friends in the street, so maybe there's a chance that she and Roy could end up together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Oh I love the idea of him being there for Carla after the Tina/Peter affair reveal.

It's Roy so any involvement he has in Carla and Anna's stories will be brilliant.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Sylvia could come back to support Roy. :(
  • Moon_StruckMoon_Struck Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I wish both Sylvia and Becky could be around for Roy at this time.
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly the whole cancer storyline started badly...with Sylvia up and disappearing so suddenly...just after being told that Hayley was dying. I think she could have contributed a lot to the storyline...and would have been someone for Roy to discuss his feelings with.
    I can see why Becky couldn't come back as she is pregnant and they couldn't write her in as a now pregnant woman cos she couldn't have children.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like it if they got round to bringing back his mother in law and maybe introduce us to his siblings as he hasn't met them yet.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Will he pass his driving test? :kitty:
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    KaylaL wrote: »
    Sadly the whole cancer storyline started badly...with Sylvia up and disappearing so suddenly...just after being told that Hayley was dying. I think she could have contributed a lot to the storyline...and would have been someone for Roy to discuss his feelings with.
    I can see why Becky couldn't come back as she is pregnant and they couldn't write her in as a now pregnant woman cos she couldn't have children.

And because realistically, Becky wouldn't want to leave Roy on his own after Hayley died so it would mean Katherine Kelly would need to return for a few months to keep it true to her character (which we know she can't do)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katherine Kelly says goodbye here

http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/goodbye
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be interesting to see if the poice decide to charge Roy with assisting in a suicide. Whilst technically he did not assist her he did very little to stop her
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    I can see someone like Roy having a slow mental collapse. The writers could have a field day writing scenes for Roy where he behaves out of character due to his depression. It could be harrowing stuff, but the actor is capable of delivering. Since the death of my niece 4 years ago, my sister has been through hell, and is still suffering, she will never get over losing her daughter and I can see Roy being the same. But as it is a soap, there has to be light as well as dark. I just hope the writers handle any s/l for Roy with more finesse than they did with Hayley's death, which IMHO was a complete farce. >:(
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    He didn't have to help her, she was still capable of doing the deed herself. He never agreed with what she wanted to do anyway.

That doesn't mean the police wouldn't investigate, especially as he was there, wouldn't let anyone in. It's all circumstantial but this is soap land where normal rules don't apply.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Royston owes no debt to anyone, other than, perhaps, Alma for having introduced him and Hayley to each other.