Anti-climaxes in TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Hi, I'm new here.

Just wondered what you guys would consider the biggest anti-climaxes in television; I'm talking about the Doctor faking his death in the Teselecta and Sherlock not even telling us how he faked his. That sort of thing.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkjhnwht wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new here.

Just wondered what you guys would consider the biggest anti-climaxes in television; I'm talking about the Doctor faking his death in the Teselecta and Sherlock not even telling us how he faked his. That sort of thing.

This thread was a bit of an anti-climax for me personally. It's in the TV forum so that counts, right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In before someone says LOST.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    The end of the Sopranos. Self-indulgent shite.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Not sure if I am on the same wave length as you :blush: But Broadchurch was the biggest ending let down. After seeing shots of a flaming car going over the edge of a cliff and being told it will have a cliff edged ending. It failed.

Tbh I have forgotten how it ended now :confused:
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Not sure if I am on the same wave length as you :blush: But Broadchurch was the biggest ending let down. After seeing shots of a flaming car going over the edge of a cliff and being told it will have a cliff edged ending. It failed.
    Definitely agree with this.
    All the build up to 'whodunnit' and being told that the answer will be totally unexpected....

And then finding that the 'villain' was the one most of us suspected (but discarded because that was too obvious...).

When I look back at Broadchurch, I wonder why so many of us stayed with it throughout and discussed it endlessly on here.
    It was okay as a TV series, but really it wasn't great.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    This thread was a bit of an anti-climax for me personally. It's in the TV forum so that counts, right?

What's with the attitude?
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member

Excellent ending so hardly anti-climatic

The way the initiative vanished from Revenge
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    Definitely agree with this.
    All the build up to 'whodunnit' and being told that the answer will be totally unexpected....

And then finding that the 'villain' was the one most of us suspected (but discarded because that was too obvious...).

When I look back at Broadchurch, I wonder why so many of us stayed with it throughout and discussed it endlessly on here.
    It was okay as a TV series, but really it wasn't great.

And there is talk of a second series!

Olivia Colman will not be in it as the shame of it being her husband would be to much and they could not possibly be friends with her.

David Tennant will not be in it as he was sacked (if I remember rightly?)

Unless they take the GBP as fools? Mmm
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end of the Sopranos. Self-indulgent shite.

I have to disagree i thought that ending was pure class and we still never know whether Tony bought it or not :o
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Desperate Housewives finale
  • SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Liked the Sopranos ending, Tony being shot was justice being done.

Thought the Sherlock death resolution was very good too.

Lost was terribly disappointing, there were so many ways it could have ended and they picked the worse.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When was Tony shot?
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Line of Duty didn't do it for me.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

a lot of people say lost was an anti climax but I thought it was brilliant I mean what exactly would you have liked to happen at the end?
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent ending so hardly anti-climatic

The way the initiative vanished from Revenge

At the end of season 2 Conrad told Victoria that the Initiative was simply a group of wealthy business people who created atrocities to then profit from them. At the start of season 3 Nolan reveals that all but I think 1 member (plus Conrad) have been arrested.

I think in season 2 they got carried away with the whole Initiative thing and just wanted to wrap it up quickly and get back to basics.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desperate Housewives finale

I liked how that turned out.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ending of Dexter
  • RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the 1st couple of episodes, the rest of Mad Dogs
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeland

Similar to Mad Dogs in that it started off so well and then became dull
    Forum Member
    rkid wrote: »
    I have to disagree i thought that ending was pure class and we still never know whether Tony bought it or not :o

That's the whole point, I watched the show religiously for years and am left wondering what happened. It was self indulgent.
    Forum Member

Thought the Sherlock death resolution was very good too.

Lost was terribly disappointing, there were so many ways it could have ended and they picked the worse.

Tony was shot? Really?
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I thought the climax of Sopranos was genius. Although it did certainly benefit from being the first of the 'non-ending' endings that seem to have now become the norm.

But Sopranos was very clever. There were no fireworks, just an illustration of exactly what life would be like for Tony from now until his death. It used the language of cinema/television to make us draw significance to insignificant facts:

A furtive restaurant guest that might have a gun hidden away..

A non-phone call from Meadow, suggesting something might have happened to her..

Then, Meadow herself reversing into the parking space, with the camera focusing on the tyres, clear Cinematic-speak for 'THERE'S A BOMB UNDER THE CAR!!' Etc.

We know that at some point they will almost certainly catch up with Tony and kill him. But before that time, his life will be a case of continually looking over his shoulder, mistaking everyday events for ominous signs.

And when, finally, one of those events does turn out to be significant, there'll be no grand build-up. It'll just be a case of <pop> End of Tony. Fade to Black.

Very clever and, as far as I'm concerned, a very satisfying ending.
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    I thought the climax of Sopranos was genius. Although it did certainly benefit from being the first of the 'non-ending' endings that seem to have now become the norm.

But Sopranos was very clever. There were no fireworks, just an illustration of exactly what life would be like for Tony from now until his death. It used the language of cinema/television to make us draw significance to insignificant facts:

A furtive restaurant guest that might have a gun hidden away..

A non-phone call from Meadow, suggesting something might have happened to her..

Then, Meadow herself reversing into the parking space, with the camera focusing on the tyres, clear Cinematic-speak for 'THERE'S A BOMB UNDER THE CAR!!' Etc.

We know that at some point they will almost certainly catch up with Tony and kill him. But before that time, his life will be a case of continually looking over his shoulder, mistaking everyday events for ominous signs.

And when, finally, one of those events does turn out to be significant, there'll be no grand build-up. It'll just be a case of <pop> End of Tony. Fade to Black.

Very clever and, as far as I'm concerned, a very satisfying ending.

Or a load of completely self indulgent shite that ruined the ending for millions of fans.

One or the other.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    The end of Shameless.

They appear to have all lived happily ever after. How dull.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Line of Duty didn't do it for me.

Except the show isn't ending. Series 3 is being planned.