Westboro Baptists' Fred Phelps Sr. "near death"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a staunch atheist I should probably be glad but I just don't feel it. He's a nasty old swine and has been a terrible waste of skin and organs BUT he's 84, whatever faith he has left will either comfort him until the bitter end or he'll realise, when alone and in pain that all his beliefs are bullshit. Either way I'm pretty sure that in that final moment even the strongest believers realise the truth. He wasted the one chance he got, he wasted it being bitter and cruel, all for nothing. Punishment enough in my opinion.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menoetius wrote: »
    Out of 10, his sick and twisted way of thinking about religion was most definately a 10.

In my opinion, anyone that thinks there's a god has a number on the Phelps scale.

You might be a 1 or maybe a 3. Whatever the number, you're deluded and holding humanity back.

Right....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of 10, his sick and twisted way of thinking about religion was most definately a 10.

In my opinion, anyone that thinks there's a god has a number on the Phelps scale.

You might be a 1 or maybe a 3. Whatever the number, you're deluded and holding humanity back.

Religion provides comfort and strength to millions of people across the world. 'Deluded' is an incredibly harsh way to describe those who believe in a higher power, and your point of view is in no way more valid than theirs. If you can prove unequivocally the non-existence of God, then go right ahead...
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    Religion provides comfort and strength to millions of people across the world. 'Deluded' is an incredibly harsh way to describe those who believe in a higher power, and your point of view is in no way more valid than theirs. If you can prove unequivocally the non-existence of God, then go right ahead...

but is it any worse than calling those who don`t believe "sinner" or telling them they`re hell bound?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but is it any worse than calling those who don`t believe "sinner" or telling them they`re hell bound?

No. They are both sides of the same 'I know better than you' coin, faith versus reason if you will. There are many things in this world that can only be described as miracles, but also people and situations that by their very existence would seem to disprove the existence of God. We don't know, and to be fair the likes of Phelps don't exactly help the pro-religion argument.

I simply object to those who lump all people of any faith into the 'deluded' category.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like us all he will get the final judgement from God.

Though I hear God has already had a wee chat with him.

He said, Fred, I'll be seeing you soon.
    Only kidding!

I won't be seeing you.
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a huge generalisation though. I know lots of religious people, but the type of people who would ever behave in the way you've suggested, are thankfully very rare.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the evidence to hand it's perfectly valid to declare belief in God as a delusion. What isn't perfectly valid, given the lack of evidence for God's existence, is to equate positions of belief and non-belief. One of these things is FAR more likely than the other.
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    That's a huge generalisation though. I know lots of religious people, but the type of people who would ever behave in the way you've suggested, are thankfully very rare.
    lots of preachers do it every day:confused::confused:
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Bye Felicia.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Like us all he will get the final judgement from God.
    I'd rather be excluded from that statement if you don't mind.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    WBC is all a con anyway

They've simply figured out that if they protest, people will try to stop them, and they can sue.

It's a money making racket
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phelps is one of those people that you know you shouldn't feel happy about his illness, but you can't help yourself.

The only thing I feel sad about is his funeral will probably be a circus, whereas he deserves to go without any fanfare at all.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WBC is all a con anyway

They've simply figured out that if they protest, people will try to stop them, and they can sue.
    Do you really think they go and put themselves & their kids in danger without thinking the great sky fairy will protect them or reward them in heaven lest they should die?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Do you really think they go and put themselves & their kids in danger without thinking the great sky fairy will protect them or reward them in heaven lest they should die?

I agree, I think they genuinely believe the things they say, and they are more honest to the literal interpretation of the bible, than most.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phelps is one of those people that you know you shouldn't feel happy about his illness, but you can't help yourself.

The only thing I feel sad about is his funeral will probably be a circus, whereas he deserves to go without any fanfare at all.
    I want him to stay around as long as possible. His hateful rhetoric against LGBTs in the USA has been the strongest unifying force for equality possible. Nobody has painted so clearly the absurdity of holding anti-gay hatred like Phelps has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    I want him to stay around as long as possible. His hateful rhetoric against LGBTs in the USA has been the strongest unifying force for equality possible. Nobody has painted so clearly the absurdity of holding anti-gay hatred like Phelps has.

We still have his daughter. Shirley is it? She's been doing most of his talking for years.
    Forum Member
    No. They are both sides of the same 'I know better than you' coin, faith versus reason if you will. There are many things in this world that can only be described as miracles, but also people and situations that by their very existence would seem to disprove the existence of God. We don't know, and to be fair the likes of Phelps don't exactly help the pro-religion argument.

I simply object to those who lump all people of any faith into the 'deluded' category.

sorry, i missed this, as in post 85, countless preachers do it every day.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,
    To every believer the promise of God;
    The vilest offender who truly believes,
    That moment from Jesus a pardon receives.

Fanny Crosby.

empty words that mean nothing more then abit of poetry.

if he goes to heaven, and i dont, theres something seriously wrong with the selection system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    God Hates **** and that's why I don't smoke.
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Yep and if your **** burn in hell you're cooking them wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

It is not up to anyone to disprove the existence of God, it's up to those who believe to prove he does exist in other words.

That's how science works, that's how the law works, it's how we work in general.

If I claim I am an alien from the planet Zorg and I can fly and teleport around the World, would you be willing to accept that it must be true just because you cannot prove it isn't?.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whoa, I think that's going a bit far. I'm an atheist by the way, but I have no desire to stop anyone else believing. A lot of people's faith inspires them to live a good life and be good to other people.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WBC is all a con anyway

It's a money making racket

Was just going to bring this in. If you look into the activities of the WBC, the 'god hates...' and whole religion thing is just a foil. It is actually part of a sophisticated money-making scam. Phelps was a lawyer and had his kids trained up as lawyers. They have made their living out of screwing the US Constitution's 'right to free speech'. In brief, they turn up at events spouting the sickest stuff possible but being careful not to tread over the line into breaking the law. Because the locals are so outraged, they get them 'moved on'. The Phelps' modus operandi then involves (successfully) suing various authorities claiming that their Constitutional rights have been violated. A few times, they have found themselves on the wrong side of the law but, more often than not, it's been a lucrative moneyspinner for them. I suspect, though, that with Phelps nearing his end, younger members leaving and speaking out against the WBC and the remaining diehards jockeying for position within what's left of the 'church' (aka 'in-fighting), the organisation's time is short and they'll soon be dividing up the spoils.

Phelps was also a violent and sadistic bully in his day and any of his family who remain loyal to him deserve pity.

The best thing to do to crush the WBC altogether is to ignore them and their activities. Let them 'hate themselves out'. That'll be extremely hard for the loved ones whose funerals they gatecrash but it really would be the best way to inflict maximum damage.