Noah (Russell Crowe, Emma Watson)

necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been keeping tabs on this film for quite some time now, since Darren Aronofsky was producing a graphic novel on Noah. Getting this film out hasn't been easy apparently with Aronofsky and the studio fighting over which cut they want to release. Then last year preview screenings of both the director and the studio's cuts of the film were shown to Christian and Jewish groups which they negatively reacted to. And of course, film has been banned in several Muslim countries.

I'm usually a sucker for old school epics but when I saw the trailers for this, I kept thinking that this looks like a Roland Emmerich movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYSwdh-GznY

I'll be seeing this for the names alone (Aronofsky, Crowe) as I'm a huge fan. Does this film look appealing to anyone or are you going to skip it :)

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    I'll check it out when it's on Sky

Don't care about the religious bollocks, but the special effects look decent.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt the studios care what anyone's religious beliefs are, they just want your money. Of course some will accuse the producers of angling a religious agenda on the masses when all they want is your money, nothing more sinister than that :D

And though I'm an agnostic, I've always been fascinated by biblical stories and especially one told on the big screen.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can't believe they have emma watson in that role talking in her posh private school accent, so out of place in the role its not even funny, they were a poor family living off the land, where would they learn to talk like that :confused:
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive fan of Aronofsky and he's probably my favourite director... however, this just doesn't take my fancy at all looking at the trailers. WIll watch the film at some point but really can't see this coming to close to the rest of his work.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say it appeals TBH. The plot sounds rather similar to that awful 2012 disaster film :D
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen the trailer and have got a bad feeling about this.

The preview screenings to Christian and Jewish groups might suggest that they had objections to it based on religious grounds. However it may just be because they thought it was a bad film full stop.

I just get the feeling that this is going to bomb and be seen as laughable. Probably earning many nominations for Razzie awards.
    Maybe this is the sort of film which could work in a kind of comedy format, such as 'Dogma'. But going by the trailer it appears as though the film is taking a very po-faced approach and trying to take itself very seriously.

If they can somehow make the story of Noah and his ark somewhat believable in film form, then I will congratulate them. However, it sounds like it will be no mean feat.
    'The Ten Commandments' with Charlton Heston was successful, but that was made in a different era and I think it will be very difficult to make the same story work for an audience of today.

But I may be wrong. You never know, it might be good.
    What I'm trying to say is that this particular story is a very risky one to make, and it could either be very good, or a complete disaster, with very little room for middle ground.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    A mostly so-so offering according to Screendaily:

Noah good?
    "Aronofsky seems overwhelmed by the demands of executing such an ambitious undertaking, resulting in an unfocused, slightly anonymous effort."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member

Thank God for intellectuals like yourself.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the best trailer I've seen for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqLNcPK8_o
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    This is the best trailer I've seen for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqLNcPK8_o

Shame it didn't break into song at the end. The Flood Boat, to the tune of The Love Boat.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Gotta say it looks boring kind of like a (seen it all before haven't we way)

and Russell Crowe, does anyone even like him as a person or actor??
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I saw the trailer a couple of months ago and it does indeed look terrible. Here's what I wrote on another thread:

I had just sat through a trailer for Noah, which appears to be the Noah's Ark tale (yes, really) with Russell Crowe playing Noah. Ray Winstone is in it as well (honestly, I'm not making this up) as an enemy of Noah ('Right, Noah, you bastard. I'm the daddy now. Next time I'll fackin' kill ya!'). Somebody has even talked Anthony Hopkins into appearing.

It sounds like the sort of film Alan Partridge would pitch and looks absolutely dreadful
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Winstone is in it as well (honestly, I'm not making this up) as an enemy of Noah ('Right, Noah, you bastard. I'm the daddy now. Next time I'll fackin' kill ya!').

As soon as you cast Ray Winstone in anything it immediately tips it into cartoon territory. The man has been giving the same so-called "performance" for more than 30 years!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the trailer a couple of months ago and it does indeed look terrible. Here's what I wrote on another thread:

I had just sat through a trailer for Noah, which appears to be the Noah's Ark tale (yes, really) with Russell Crowe playing Noah. Ray Winstone is in it as well (honestly, I'm not making this up) as an enemy of Noah ('Right, Noah, you bastard. I'm the daddy now. Next time I'll fackin' kill ya!'). Somebody has even talked Anthony Hopkins into appearing.

It sounds like the sort of film Alan Partridge would pitch and looks absolutely dreadful

Thank you :) you've just given me a real laugh out loud moment!
    I have to say, I quite like the sound of your version:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta say it looks boring kind of like a (seen it all before haven't we way)

and Russell Crowe, does anyone even like him as a person or actor??

The trailers do look clunky but Russell Crowe is one of the main reasons I'm seeing this! From a lot of the early reviews (and they are mixed), they have singled out Crowe's performance and saying it's the best he's given in years. Russell Crowe as a person? Yeah he's a bit of an ass :p
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just about the flood or do they include the naked part too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Is it just about the flood or do they include the naked part too?

If you're referring to Noah's son seeing him naked, I'm not sure if that'll be in the film. But Noah's drunkenness will be portrayed, though Christian audiences haven't been happy with that (even though it's in the Bible).
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I hope someone says "you're going to need a bigger boat".

I also think it would be great if Eddie Izzard wrote the script.

Noah: "OK, animals, two by two...ducks, come along you're next"
    Ducks: "We're not coming."
    Noah: "But there's going to be a flood, the earth will be under water!"
    Ducks: "So?"
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone explain to me why Christians are getting upset over this film when they were cool with Passion of the Christ?
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me why Christians are getting upset over this film when they were cool with Passion of the Christ?

I heard it was because the movie was to do with Book of Enoch, also there's meant to be a lot of inaccuracies made up by the writers.
    Forum Member
    Moboloco wrote: »
    I heard it was because the movie was to do with Book of Enoch, also there's meant to be a lot of inaccuracies made up by the writers.

Oh the irony!:D

Russell Crowe will be brilliant:

'My name is Noah, son of Lamech, husband to Zemfara, father to three sons, and I will survive this flood - ah shit, mate. Has anyone seen the two unicorns?'
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can't believe they have emma watson in that role talking in her posh private school accent, so out of place in the role its not even funny, they were a poor family living off the land, where would they learn to talk like that :confused:
    lol... this is your only complaint, that Emma Watson's accent is too posh? You have them all talking with English accents, of course Anthony Hopkins has a Welsh one (even though Wales didn't exist back then) and they all are speaking modern English ... which obviously didn't exist back then! But it's Emma Watson's accent that bothers you?
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    lol... this is your only complaint, that Emma Watson's accent is too posh? You have them all talking with English accents, of course Anthony Hopkins has a Welsh one (even though Wales didn't exist back then) and they all are speaking modern English ... which obviously didn't exist back then! But it's Emma Watson's accent that bothers you?

:D:D:D

Ray Winstone's cockernee accent will be fine though...
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the story was even too ridiculous to work in a comedy (Evan Almighty) I fail to see how a straight drama is going to pull it off.

But then again I found The Bible on channel 5 to be very good, and that's from the perspective of a ardent atheist.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that the story was even too ridiculous to work in a comedy (Evan Almighty) I fail to see how a straight drama is going to pull it off.

I agree with this. The story of Noah and the flood is just too stupid to work as a "historical epic." Heck, there are plenty of religious folk who consider it allegorical or even an outright fairy tale, which I think just goes to show what a hard story it is to take seriously. I just can't see it working at all.

There are plenty of better biblical tales that could make a good movie.