stop anytime downloading movies i can't watch!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, only just got Anytime a couple of days ago and so far, apart from the usual "i'd rather have my harddrive space" complaint, it seems ok... the only thing that's really bugging me is that it keeps downloading films that i can't watch as i dont have the channels!

I understand that Sky are just trying to tempt me into getting the full package but they are not going to succeed!! If i was willing to pay for the movie channels i would already have them!! :)

I'm not that bothered by the waste of time and energy it uses to download standard programmes that i will probably not watch, although you never know what may appear that might be of interest, but it is pointless downloading entire films that i can't watch!!

There should be a way to stop downloads from certain channels or some similar filter as i also have no interest in watching the kids shows it provides either!! (although i did watch an episode of Spongebob yesterday!:D )

A more customised version of Anytime is needed, Auto standby saving energy is no good if they use half the night downloading things i can't/won't watch!:mad:

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Later this year you should be able to specify genres of programmes to be downloaded via "my Sky" at sky.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ooh, sounds promising!! :)
  • irvin38Airvin38A Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Later this year you should be able to specify genres of programmes to be downloaded via "my Sky" at sky.com

whats your source on this?
  • NEIL J JONESNEIL J JONES Posts: 7,115
    Forum Member
    natstally wrote: »
    the only thing that's really bugging me is that it keeps downloading films that i can't watch as i dont have the channels!

Welcome to Skys latest marketing tool, what you are meant to do is now subscribe to these channels, thus putting more money in Skys pocket. What Sky have failed to understand is that only a dim wit would subscribe to a channel based on what anytime offers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Yes, I found 2 programmes on there this morning, 1 film and 1 documentry on HD channels. I feel exactly the same as 'natstally' where by they are wasting my hard drive with movies that I dont wish to see or subscribe to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, lets just hope there will be some customisable options in the future, there can't be many people who are suddenly going to get the movie channels just because sky are showing you what's available! I know i won't, it's bad enough paying for the sports channels when i only watch one sport - Rugby League!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely if they wanted to tempt people into paying for the movie sub they should be using anytime to provide teasers? ie give them a film now and again that you can watch without the sub, as a kind of - this is the sort of thing you could be watching if you subscribed. A bit like Film 4 used to do free weekends.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to Skys latest marketing tool, what you are meant to do is now subscribe to these channels, thus putting more money in Skys pocket. What Sky have failed to understand is that only a dim wit would subscribe to a channel based on what anytime offers.
    A brilliant evaluation.

I would say in the majority of cases if a customer is not interested in movies they won't subscribe, regardless of whether it has been downloaded to Anytime or not. Personally I can't see what difference it makes whether the programme/movie is on Anytime or not, if you ain't interested in the content you're not going to upgrade, it's not as if you don't know what Sky broadcast across all their channels.

Yes it will probably attract some viewers to upgrade their subscription, but would say it's design is more for introducing various content to it's current customer base, content they may have missed or have never tuned in to across it's own channels, an effort to increase their popularity and the programmes popularity. May be they get extra revenue from advertisers the higher the ratings.

Next there will be calls for a personal EPG, so you can delete all the channels you don't subscribe too, just in case you get tempted by a programme listed but can't view it.

Anytime is a very crude delivery system at the moment, in the way it can only download identical content to all customers, until it develops and a programme editor is introduced this will be as good as it gets. TBH I can't see what all the fuss is about, it's an enhancement to their service and it's a free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, only just got Anytime a couple of days ago and so far, apart from the usual "i'd rather have my harddrive space" complaint, it seems ok... the only thing that's really bugging me is that it keeps downloading films that i can't watch as i dont have the channels!

I understand that Sky are just trying to tempt me into getting the full package but they are not going to succeed!! If i was willing to pay for the movie channels i would already have them!! :)

I'm not that bothered by the waste of time and energy it uses to download standard programmes that i will probably not watch, although you never know what may appear that might be of interest, but it is pointless downloading entire films that i can't watch!!

There should be a way to stop downloads from certain channels or some similar filter as i also have no interest in watching the kids shows it provides either!! (although i did watch an episode of Spongebob yesterday!:D )

A more customised version of Anytime is needed, Auto standby saving energy is no good if they use half the night downloading things i can't/won't watch!:mad:
    So you approve of Anytime when it's downloaded content you are able to watch, 24/lost, but you do not when it's content you are unable to watch.

Can I ask you this. What's the difference between having a movie downloaded to Anytime that you are unable to view, to Sky broadcasting that particular movie on a movie channel that you can't view. You obviously have subscribed to the package(s) you are interested in, so why is something that's considered to be of no interest maddening?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    TommyW wrote: »
    So you approve of Anytime when it's downloaded content you are able to watch, 24/lost, but you do not when it's content you are unable to watch.

Can I ask you this. What's the difference between having a movie downloaded to Anytime that you are unable to view, to Sky broadcasting that particular movie on a movie channel that you can't view. You obviously have subscribed to the package(s) you are interested in, so why is something that's considered to be of no interest maddening?

I can see what you're saying, but I don't agree - sky anytime is meant to be programmes that we can watch Any Time... not ones that I can't watch unless I pay extra... that's what box office is for!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    schofs wrote: »
    I can see what you're saying, but I don't agree - sky anytime is meant to be programmes that we can watch Any Time... not ones that I can't watch unless I pay extra... that's what box office is for!

........no , thats what subscriptions to 6 mix plus sports n movies is for

I can watch all the Anytime content and have never used box office , its called Sky World , I think :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    schofs wrote: »
    The content is not unique, it's taken from their existing channels and broadcasts, if you want to be able to see all of what's being downloaded upgrade your subscription, but as all the content is and has been available to you, and everyone else before Anytime was launched, it's only personal choice why this content is unavailable to you now. ;)

Unless the objections are because owners hard drives are being filled with content that's unavailable to them and believe their property is being violated. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyW wrote: »

My point is that it's wasting energy downloading the films i can't watch, i'm pretty sure it doesn't waste any of MY electricity to broadcast films on the standard movie channels that i don't subscribe to!:D
    Next there will be calls for a personal EPG, so you can delete all the channels you don't subscribe too, just in case you get tempted by a programme listed but can't view it.
    There pretty much already is...Favorite Channels:) Which you can also use in the TV Guide!!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point is that it's wasting energy downloading the films i can't watch, i'm pretty sure it doesn't waste any of MY electricity to broadcast films on the standard movie channels that i don't subscribe to!:D
    Well, if you are that concerned about the downloading of material you can't view wasting YOUR electricity, then switch Anytime off, as the material you are able to watch is still available to you via normal viewing without Anytime, by doing this you will save even more power. ;)
    There pretty much already is...Favorite Channels:) Which you can also use in the TV Guide!!:D
    I'll give you that one. :)
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Of course on the other hand you're not missing anything else by getting these movies - what I mean is that if there was a setting to stop these movies being recorded then you wouldn't get anything different in their place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally, i'm not that fussed about the elecricity my sky etc uses (i'm not saying i couldn't save energy if i tried!), it just seems a bit hypocritical of sky to have the Auto Standby feature but then waste the energy during the recording of useless movies!!
    Like i said in my first post, i'm not totally against Anytime, it just needs a bit of improvement!
    I'll give you that one.
    Ha, Thank you!:D