Adele cut off after winning BRIT award, shows middle finger!

Comments

• Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one wants to hear her thanking her record company/agent/God/whoever.
    Some of us don't even want to hear her sing!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member

Then avoiding this year's Brit Awards entirely would have been a wiser course of action.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    Yes, it has been Reported today in all the Newspapers and on the ITV News all day today

There is even a Topic in the TV Shows UK section of this website here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1632216
    Forum Member

That's not True, I am a big fan of hers
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Tottenham girl in speaking like Tottenham girl SHOCKER :rolleyes:

Come ON. The day accents are wiped out of this country will be a sad one. It seems many would want that, the amount they slag others off for the way they speak. A country without cockney, scouse, geordie, welsh, scottish, brummie, West country, manc, Yorkshire accents will be one I wouldn't particularly like to live in.

What is so shameful about having an accent that shows where we come from? Who is anyone to say anyone else is "common" for the way they speak?

So snobby it's unbelievable.

Well Said, it is the BRIT Awards after all
    Forum Member
    I agree, The Brits have tried for years to shake off the image of being a shambles and they've just set time back a bit to the Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood type era of professionalism.

Other awards shows seem to get it right most of the time.
    The Brits will always look like cheap cack compared to something like the Grammys if they can't get the fundamentals of good organization right.

It's no good saying that they should have moved on because they were running out of time. They shouldn't have been in the position where they ran out of time in the first place.

I quite agree
    Forum Member
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Come ON. The day accents are wiped out of this country will be a sad one. It seems many would want that, the amount they slag others off for the way they speak. A country without cockney, scouse, geordie, welsh, scottish, brummie, West country, manc, Yorkshire accents will be one I wouldn't particularly like to live in.

What is so shameful about having an accent that shows where we come from? Who is anyone to say anyone else is "common" for the way they speak?

Well she lived in West Norwood from the age of 11, so perhaps a hint of South London accent thrown in there, but I agree with the point you're making.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly, that's her accent. Why should she change it so as not to offend a few snobs? I actually think it's refreshing to hear someone speak with a regional accent on the Brits again after years of Plummy voiced James Blunt/Dido/Florence Welch types getting all of the action.
  • Sethos DoukasSethos Doukas Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Pig & Lipstick.:D
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, that's her accent. Why should she change it so as not to offend a few snobs? I actually think it's refreshing to hear someone speak with a regional accent on the Brits again after years of Plummy voiced James Blunt/Dido/Florence Welch types getting all of the action.

And you do have to wonder if those types actually grew up listening to pop music or did they suddenly think it was trendy to join a band at uni or to go with that style of music because it is more popular and therefore sells more.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Has she not done enough acceptance speeches over the past two weeks? What more could she possibly have to say anyway? :o
  • lucholucho Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    She is usually such a dignified individual that I am stunned by this.................................Stunned!
  • BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like as if she didn't know she was going to win, her pretend shock surprise was pathetic

also her black tent dresses are getting very boring

And the huge bouffant hair -- she's beginning to look like Hattie Jacques.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People really were outraged by this. Ok it shouldn't have happened but some people were like "OMG HOW DARE THEY DO THIS!!!". There's just no need. The girl's had an incredible year and has just won 6 grammy's and 2 BRITs. The public knows how thankful Adele is because it was obvious to see just by her body language and she can always take to Twitter to thank her fans/people anytime she likes.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand how so many on this forum are reacting so strongly against somebody giving the finger.
    Seriously people find that to be really that terrible?

What is happening to people?
    Giving the finger is nothing.

Don't get it. I think there's something else going on here as I find it hard to believe that people find flipping the bird such an outrageous thing to do.
    People at the Brits have behaved much worse than this before. Giving the finger is nothing.
    Have people really become so sensitive in such a short space of time, or have loads of Mary Whitehouse type people joined the forum over the last few years?

Didn't Jarvis Cocker flip lots of fingers with both hands at Michael Jackson a few years ago?
    I don't remember people being so disgusted with him giving the finger back then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I see the remarks insulting appearance have made their arrival.
    Which is such a relief because people thought it was such a moral disgrace to see somebody sticking up their middle digit.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I agree, The Brits have tried for years to shake off the image of being a shambles and they've just set time back a bit to the Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood type era of professionalism.

Other awards shows seem to get it right most of the time.
    The Brits will always look like cheap cack compared to something like the Grammys if they can't get the fundamentals of good organization right.

It's no good saying that they should have moved on because they were running out of time. They shouldn't have been in the position where they ran out of time in the first place.

Live awards shows overrun. It's not so much keeping to time, more that ITV should be far more flexible with their schedule. Let it overrun. It's not the end of the world if the news starts ten minutes late.
  • stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    I don't understand how so many on this forum are reacting so strongly against somebody giving the finger.
    Seriously people find that to be really that terrible?

What is happening to people?
    Giving the finger is nothing.

Don't get it. I think there's something else going on here as I find it hard to believe that people find flipping the bird such an outrageous thing to do.
    People at the Brits have behaved much worse than this before. Giving the finger is nothing.
    Have people really become so sensitive in such a short space of time, or have loads of Mary Whitehouse type people joined the forum over the last few years?

Didn't Jarvis Cocker flip lots of fingers with both hands at Michael Jackson a few years ago?
    I don't remember people being so disgusted with him giving the finger back then.[/
    QUOTE]

I dont remember if he gave the finger but the whole coming on stage and mooning at Michael Jackson, yes people were most definitely outraged about it. Plenty of people were disgusted that he behaved like that and to Saint MJ of all people, whilst other people thought it was great.

Its not that terrible, giving the finger, I understand she might be a bit upset but it just seemed unnecessary to get the hump like that, and not particuarly mature. She had already given an acceptance speech, and seeing as she didnt know she would win this one, presumably had thanked the important people in that. Who was she giving the finger to? It wasnt the EP or James Corden who wanted her cut, it was the whoever was in charge of ITV. It was handled terribly, she should have had enough time, but she didnt, these things happen and its an acceptance speech at the end of the day in the grand scheme of things its not that important. I just felt it was a bit unnecessary and not very classy at all to react like that, especially with young fans watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Live awards shows overrun. It's not so much keeping to time, more that ITV should be far more flexible with their schedule. Let it overrun. It's not the end of the world if the news starts ten minutes late.

I think that usually televised live events are allowed to overrun aren't they?
    Usually?
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Voice of an angel,manners of a chav lol - joking but a ring of truth I think
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Well she lived in West Norwood from the age of 11, so perhaps a hint of South London accent thrown in there, but I agree with the point you're making.

Ha, thanks for that info. Admittedly, I'm a clueless Northerner :D

Indeed. I wouldn't get rid of my accent for anyone. Accents are part of who you are and they're absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Why is one accent more "common" than another?
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,698
    Forum Member
    Why do the Brits always get it so so wrong?

Is it the nature of the show ...... the calibre of people involved ...... ITV production??

First they have the tackiest award in history, I mean WHO would want one.

There are a load of divas in the music industry. Look at a certain George Michael, he is so last century now, and so he stayed away for 17 years, such a pity his ego couldn't have lasted a few more years before his it got the better of him ...... or could it have been desperation? :p

Giving an 'outstanding achievement' award to a band who haven't been around for years, were never really that great, and agreed to accept the award merely to promote their come back/ :rolleyes: The music industry has gone mad!

Then we have a winner of the best album, who although she shouldn't have been treated as she was, gave the show and the audience the old one fingered gesture...... how very classy Adele. :(

The music industry has no class, the continuous cackle of the audience throughout the show, not paying attention to what was going on, just all wanting to get wasted, or drunk, or both. George Michael had partaken in a little something to get him on stage ...... that is par for the course at the Brits unfortunately. :(
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is ridiculous that the people producing the show couldn't make sure her award wasn't handed out with enough time to let her speak more fully, but it wasn't a disaster. She'd already given one acceptance speech, and was about to be ushered backstage to a press conference, so it's not as if she was without any opportunity to say thank you. So for that, I think it was childish, and more than a bit silly to react by giving the finger to anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think giving the finger is a particularly big deal, but she herself said she was offended, so wanted to offend the "Brits' suits". She hadn't been denied the chance to thank the British public. She'd simply had her moment of glory cut short. The suggestion that the officials at the Brits had offended her in the year she'd got two awards and been allowed to sing for the second year in a row with a song from the same album as last year, is a joke. I don't know which particular "suits" in the audience she was directing her anger towards, but how does she know they were the ones personally responsible for telling James to cut her off?

She's entitled to be annoyed, and if she wanted to be public about it, she should have waited until the press conference and articulated exactly who she was annoyed with and why.
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do tell me if I'm just flattering myself... but tell me my post there didn't lead you to make that post in Music :rolleyes:

The post in music was inspired by a combination of uber-fans who seem incapable of taking criticism. Of course, since Adele is untouchable at the moment due to all the awards she's winning, some of those uber-fans will include Adele supporters. But no, I'd not started a thread based on any one specific poster.