How To Get Away With Murder (UK pace)

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    gilesb wrote: »
    I don't understand why you have came to that conclusion.... his albi didn't check out.

Yikes, yeah I watched the episode, having missed that bit.

I definitely think he was sleeping with Lila and that right now, it's being made to look like he killed her but I don't think he actually did. I could be wrong though.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    One or two posters mentioned that there were no likeable characters and I said that Wes seemed to be the underdog to root for but I thought his stance regarding Rebecca was just as annoying as what some of the others have done.

Why is he so sure that she is innocent? It wouldn't surprise me that 'the twist' is that they get her off only to find she was part of it all along.

Annoyance of the week though was Michela (?) going on about a wedding dress and not being embarrassed - erm, if that's your reason for marriage then maybe you're not ready for a adult relationship.
    Forum Member
    I think Bonnie might be likeable and Laurel and Asher haven't really done anything too dubious at the moment, the latter especially.

The show is definitely similar to Scandal with characters do questionable things at an alarming rate at times.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Same here. Didn't really bond with any of the characters. They are all unlikeable in some way, even if it's because they're too nice/weedy.
    I watched becuase of the hype on this thread and didn't get it myself.

It's worth a look in next episode to see how it develops but it didn't grab me as a must see.

I found the pilot interesting but just got bored halfway through the second one, the formula is so obvious.
    LostFool wrote: »
    Actually, the problem I'm having with this show is that none of characters are likeable. Viola Davis is great to watch but I don't care about any of the rest of them.

I find the Viola Davis character the least appealing of them all - totally repellent individual with no likeability at all to me

Me and OH have removed the series link as we are not interested in how it pans out and the back and forth is just too annoying.
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    A case solved every 42 minutes.

That's the attention span of the typical American audience and most of their shows are tailored to suit.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Me and OH have removed the series link as we are not interested in how it pans out and the back and forth is just too annoying.

I'm pretty much on the verge of giving up now. I don't feel drawn into the story, don't care about any of the characters and it is far too repetitive. The idea that a lawyer would hire a bunch of first year students to work on their cases stretches believability too far. Do they ever go to any other classes?

It's a shame as it had one of the strongest pilots of the new US season and I like Sondra's other shows.
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty much on the verge of giving up now. I don't feel drawn into the story, don't care about any of the characters and it is far too repetitive. The idea that a lawyer would hire a bunch of first year students to work on their cases stretches believability too far. Do they ever go to any other classes?

It's a shame as it had one of the strongest pilots of the new US season and I like Sondra's other shows.

It doesn't help that our opinion of lawyers is pretty low and this series reinforces that they are all 'win at all costs' lying scumbags';-)
  • StillTryingSE25StillTryingSE25 Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I really want to like this show as I read so much positive feedback about the pilot. But as others have said I just don't like any of the characters, I can't work out who I'm supposed to root for :confused:

Should I care about the Lila & Sam's murders? The first a student who we never met and the second seems like he was cheating on his wife with a student!

I might give it a couple more episodes to see if my view changes, as I do try to give new shows 5 or 6 episodes before deciding whether to call it quits! And I do love Shonda's other shows! But not holding out much hope for this one!!!
    Forum Member
    A list as to why (from Buzzfeed) Connor is the best character on the show ....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jaimieetkin/he-did-this-thing-to-my-ass-that-made-my-eyes-water

Spoilers for episode 4 and beyond though.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im finding it confusing as somebody else said with the it going backwards and forwards
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flashing backward and forwards really isn't that hard to follow.
    I agree about thecharacters not being overly nice. I like Connor the best, and Wes.
    Forum Member

And surprise surprise that when in the lecture theatre it's her group of students who answer all the questions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And surprise surprise that when in the lecture theatre it's her group of students who answer all the questions

That's because if anyone else answered a question they would have to be paid as an actor rather than a extra ;-)
    Forum Member

That is kind of the whole point about the show really.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giving up on it. Really wanted to like this but as others have said no one is very likeable but not only that not interesting. There are quite a few unlikeable characters in shows but if they keep you wanting to know what they do next then it's easier to stick with it. It's dull,dull, dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Giving up on it. Really wanted to like this but as others have said no one is very likeable but not only that not interesting. There are quite a few unlikeable characters in shows but if they keep you wanting to know what they do next then it's easier to stick with it. It's dull,dull, dull.

I don't mind unlikable characters and I don't understand the need to "root" for someone. All I ask for are interesting characters - and this bunch just bore me. You can always tell a show is failing if you have watched several episodes and can't remember the names of most of the characters.
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna stick at it for a couple more episodes.
    Forum Member
    That's because if anyone else answered a question they would have to be paid as an actor rather than a extra ;-)
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    That is kind of the whole point about the show really.
    If they only want her chosen ones to answer then do it in the home and not in a lecture theatre full of another 100 or so law students. She must have got the best of a really bad bunch if the rest of them can't answer one question.
  • leeowls87leeowls87 Posts: 1,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they only want her chosen ones to answer then do it in the home and not in a lecture theatre full of another 100 or so law students. She must have got the best of a really bad bunch if the rest of them can't answer one question.

This type of argument always come up in shows, cop shows that centre around one precient etc that answer every 911 call

You just have to think in your mind that the others in group do answer questions but we are only shown the answers by the people we need to.
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed last night's episode. I even thought it was the best of the bunch and the fact that it was Connor focused certainly wasn't a bad thing either.

I don't blame Oliver dumping Connor though but I do like that after the cover up, it was Oliver that Connor reached out to as well. Nice to see the actual death had some effect on Connor, creepy Christmas song singing aside.

The scenes with Connor and Pax were actually pretty hot. It's a shame that Pax ended up dying in the episode.

Really liked the case of the week as well. Surprisingly an interesting one.

Frank and Bonnie's nickanames for the students was both patronising but also kind of amusing as well.

Wes is blinded by wanting to save Rebecca but at least Annalise seems kind of aware of that.

Don't really think Michaela, Asher or Laurel did anything interesting other than interviewing potential suspects this week.

The last nine words scene with Annalise and Sam was great, 8/10
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »

I don't blame Oliver dumping Connor though but I do like that after the cover up, it was Oliver that Connor reached out to as well. Nice to see the actual death had some effect on Connor, creepy Christmas song singing aside.

"Oh what fun to kill someone and end up in jail" :D:o
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats with her wig? has she got cancer?
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last night's too. I think because I found the people at the traders office interesting. I'm liking Connor a bit more now, so hopefully it'll get a bit more captivating.
  • Rueben_ClaraRueben_Clara Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Whats with her wig? has she got cancer?

She is wearing a weave.

Am off sick at the moment, so decided to catch up with the shows on my SKy plus box. This was one of them. I quite like it. I think Viola Davis's character is the typical strong female lead that Shonda Rhimes does so well. I am very interested in Annie's assistant - the lady with the blonde hair. There appears to be something going on between her and Annie's husband. I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to be person who murdered Lila.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite brave of Viola to pull off her wig like that and remove her makeup. I thought she looked younger without all the makeup on.