Sky Q newbie questions/issues

adamross100adamross100 Posts: 46
Forum Member
Just had Q installed today and already experienced a few issues.....

Initially had problems with signal to Mini boxes dropping out - but adjusting the position of the booster seems to have fixed

Tonight both mini boxes were showing 'Technical fault' on all channels with black screens appearing. Resetting mini box didn't help - but resetting the silver box seemed to resolve

IPad app - am I correct that this can be installed on unlimited devices (unlike Sky go which can only be installed on 4) but only used on 2 at any one time?

I've seen the engineer menu mentioned on a few threads..... How is this accessed?

If I do access this menu and turn on powerline feature - how does this work? And does being on non sky broadband (Virgin) make any difference?

Any other secret settings I should be changing?

Thanks!

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might want to look at this thread, where people have discussed issues and quirks, and had advice given and shortcuts advised to various options.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2139825
  • Sunshine SammySunshine Sammy Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem with the mini boxes the day mine was installed. I put up with it for a week by resetting the Silver box (really annoying). When i rang up sky, i got a nice gentleman who went through step by step with me basically reinstalling the system. I was on the phone for an hour and 15 minutes but it was worth it as I've not had a problem since.

If I'd have been quicker I'd have asked for my installation fee back as i redid the engineers job! The engineer also had my silver box hard wired to the router which apparently doesn't allow the minis to be WiFi hotspots.

He also turned my call into a complaint and put forward the engineer for more training as he didn't install each box individually and wait for them to be stable before moving on to the next. Apparently they can pick up bad habits can can cause them to misbehave!! :D
  • rscottrscott Posts: 6,805
    Forum Member
    Minis won't work as hotspots unless you've got Sky broadband.
  • BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem with the mini boxes the day mine was installed. I put up with it for a week by resetting the Silver box (really annoying). When i rang up sky, i got a nice gentleman who went through step by step with me basically reinstalling the system. I was on the phone for an hour and 15 minutes but it was worth it as I've not had a problem since.

If I'd have been quicker I'd have asked for my installation fee back as i redid the engineers job! The engineer also had my silver box hard wired to the router which apparently doesn't allow the minis to be WiFi hotspots.

He also turned my call into a complaint and put forward the engineer for more training as he didn't install each box individually and wait for them to be stable before moving on to the next. Apparently they can pick up bad habits can can cause them to misbehave!! :D

some people say the funniest things. Not something that can be done I'm afraid.
    And as above. only Sky broadband carries the function of hotspots on each box and having it hardwired with sky broadband mean's you just have to select yes to turning hotspots back on with Ethernet connected.