What does this sound like to you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
Forum Member
My partners mum is not having a good time of it lately, it seemed to start quickly and before we knew it she was in hospital.

It started last year, partners parents had booked a holiday, and on the day of the holiday his dad called to say they were not going as his mum was too ill, she was in bed.

We went round to their house and was told by his dad that she had not been eating properly for weeks, as in, she was living on an apple, and maybe half a bowl of soup every few days.

Anyway later that day she was taken into hospital, had a scan on her stomach, they found nothing and sent her home, doctor put her on milkshake things (sorry cant remember the name)

She went downhill from there and hardly ate, lost a lot of weight and wasnt herself at all. Stopped doing the things she likes (gardening, language classes, painting etc)

The last time I saw her she was falling asleep whilst she was talking to me, and couldnt concentrate on anything at all.

Two weeks ago we got a call from partners dad to tell us she was in hospital again.

This time they kept her in did more scans, blood tests etc and everything came back ok, they couldnt find anything wrong with her stomach.

Aside from this, she has heart failure, and was told not too long ago that her heart is only working at 25 per cent of what it should be. Kidney failure was also mentioned but I dont know much about it.

Because of this she has been told that even if they did find something wrong with her stomach they couldnt operate as her heart wouldnt be able to take it and she wouldnt survive.

Because everything came back normal on the tests/scans etc they have sent her home again, where she is still not eating, not sleeping, pain in her stomach all the time, she says she can feel a "ball" in her stomach under her ribs, unable to concentrate and hardly able to hold down a conversation without her eyes closing. She has gone from being 10 stone ish to 6 stone.

She is in her late 70s.

We dont really know what to do to help her because all tests came back ok, but also hate to see her like this, she is not herself at all and has lost way too much weight.

My partner just got home from work and told me he doesnt think his mum is going to pull through this and he is frustrated because one: he cant help her and two: they dont know whats wrong with her/why she isnt eating.

Does anyone have any ideas at all of what it might be? She has been to the doctors many times, and obviously to the hospital as well as is still none the wiser.

Sorry for such a long post but I thought the more info you got the better.

Comments

• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they done a gastroscopy? It does sound like there's something going on, odd that it's not shown on any tests yet.

Having said that, my mum had a similar thing 6 years or so ago, she did recover but they never did find out what caused her illness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she diagnosed with the heart condition before the not eating started? My mother went into complete depression when she was diagnosed and stopped doing everything, you could barely get two words out of her as well.

Signs and symptoms of depression in the elderly

Recognizing depression in the elderly starts with knowing the signs and symptoms. Depression red flags include:
    Sadness
    Fatigue
    Abandoning or losing interest in hobbies or other pleasurable pastimes
    Social withdrawal and isolation (reluctance to be with friends, engage in activities, or leave home)
    Weight loss or loss of appetite
    Sleep disturbances (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, oversleeping, or daytime sleepiness)
    Loss of self-worth (worries about being a burden, feelings of worthlessness, self-loathing) Increased use of alcohol or other drugs
    Fixation on death; suicidal thoughts or attempts

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_elderly.htm

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/anxiety
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Have they done a gastroscopy?

No, but they have done a Colonoscopy, sorry forgot to mention that in my op..

Was she diagnosed with the heart condition before the not eating started?

Yes the heart problems started before she stopped eating.

Thank you for the links, will take a look.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She Devil wrote: »
    No, but they have done a Colonoscopy, sorry forgot to mention that in my op..

Yes the heart problems started before she stopped eating.

Thank you for the links, will take a look.

If she feels that there's a mass in her stomach, I'd have thought that a gastroscopy would be the way to go.....(not that I'm medically qualified, of course!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abdominal pain is one of the symptoms of heart failure
    http://www.medicinenet.com/congestive_heart_failure/page2.htm

And nausea is listed for renal failure
    http://www.medicinenet.com/kidney_failure/page2.htm#tocd
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MIL has heart failure and had the same symptoms until she was admitted into hospital. She was nauseus and stopped eating and complained of stomach pain too. It is all symptomatic of her heart failure. Since admission into hospital, she has had fluid drained from her lungs and is on a cocktail of drugs to keep the fluid build up at bay. Her eating has improved and she is definitely at lot better than before her admission two months ago.