Options

Pat- 48 hours between diagnosis and death??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone think this is a bit unrealistic- is it actually possible that she can be walking around fine, get a sore pain and breathlessness, find out its cancer and die, all within 3 days??:cry:

It all seems very rushed and for me kind of takes away from the storyline and character.

Any1 else feel this way, or happy that the entire departing storyline has been squeezed into 3 episodes.

Comments

• Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has been looking ill for a while!.
  • Options
    BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat hasn't been well for quite some time. It's only now that it's getting particularly bad that they've been able to diagnose what exactly it is.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can happen.

My grandma had cancer, was operated on and everything was fine and dandy. She found out that the cancer had returned and within a couple of days she died.

Sorry for the gloomy post, but it can happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    I also think the cancer aspect came from out of the blue. Surely if it was that far progressed she would have been feeling unwell for some time. You are right, who finds out they have cancer and dies within a couple of days unless its not cancer they die from.

PS Condolences to those who it did happen to but what I meant was that surely they manifested some kind of symptoms before being diagnosed.
  • Options
    happyperson93happyperson93 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    no its not unrealistic as much as it sounds. although he died before i was born, my grandad was diagnosed with cancer and died the day after :(
  • Options
    happyperson93happyperson93 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    catsmeow wrote: »
    I also think the cancer aspect came from out of the blue. Surely if it was that far progressed she would have been feeling unwell for some time. You are right, who finds out they have cancer and dies within a couple of days unless its not cancer they die from.

My Grandad!
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all, my friends aunt died within 24 hours of getting told she had a rare cancer after being told it was so many other things and having doctors come from all over the UK to work out what it was as it was an odd shape. Tbh, I'm glad they haven't dragged out Pat being ill, I want to remember her drinking, flirting and being a rock to her family instead of ill but that's just me.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the "being ill" with cancer is actually down to the treatments rather than the cancer itself - so its perfectly feasible for someone to be close to death from cancer and not be to unwell oin the outside
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not unrealistic, sadly it can happen and Pat hasn't been well for years now. :(
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Does she die of the cancer? Perhaps the stress puts pressure on her heart?
  • Options
    Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do understand what the OP means. one minute she seemed a bit unwell, then had chest pains etc now she is told she has cancer 48 hours later she dies.

it has happened in my family where they thought they were getting flu like symptoms went to the dr, was rushed to hospital then 2 days later died (but this wasn't cancer)

with what other people have said it obviously can happen, but if being honest isn't the norm. I think had we seen her get other symptoms earlier on but didn't act on it, perhaps that would have been a bit more realistic??
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it does happen, probably more common than you think someone i know was diagnosed with cancer on the friday and died on the Monday :(
  • Options
    RunWithTheWindRunWithTheWind Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Well my granny was fine 3 weeks before her death...yeah its 3 weeks...but thats still quick.

So it could still happen with 48 hours :L
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    Sorry but where does Pat have cancer? I might have missed that bit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was the last line of yesterdays episode.

Ive noticed Pat looking a little unwell in the last week, but it all seems very rushed.

Also, it is likely to have a very poor effect on Tanya, when shes her speedy decline.
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its pancreatic cancer. One of the few cancers that there is no cure for so sadly you will die from it. It also happens very quickly with pancreatic cancer too. They usually only give patients 10 months to live after being diagnosed. However a small few do live slightly longer. The average time of survival though is less than 6 months. :(

Its good EE are highlighting this form of cancer.
  • Options
    JamieMacdonaldJamieMacdonald Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can depend.

My granda was diagnosed on January 17, 2008 (day before my mam's birthday) and he passed away on Feb 3, 2008.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irish-óg wrote: »
    Does anyone think this is a bit unrealistic- is it actually possible that she can be walking around fine, get a sore pain and breathlessness, find out its cancer and die, all within 3 days??:cry:

It all seems very rushed and for me kind of takes away from the storyline and character.

Any1 else feel this way, or happy that the entire departing storyline has been squeezed into 3 episodes.

I don't think the cancer side is far fetched as I had a friend who was rushed into hospital in pain and died 3hrs later and it turned out he was riddled with cancer. He had stomach pains for on and off for a few months but never went to the doctors.

What I think is far fetched is that Pat has been poorly for a while and has been to hospital I am shocked that the hospital has not picked up the possiblity of cancer before now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    It is actually common, I work in a care home and several of my patients have died from cancer with in days/weeks of being diagnosed.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    Its pancreatic cancer. One of the few cancers that there is no cure for so sadly you will die from it. It also happens very quickly with pancreatic cancer too. They usually only give patients 10 months to live after being diagnosed. However a small few do live slightly longer. The average time of survival though is less than 6 months. :(

Its good EE are highlighting this form of cancer.

I've known a few folk to have pancreatic cancer and they have tended to be ill for a while before diagnosis. I think this is whats missing with Pat. She doesn't seem to have been as ill as you would expect with a terrible cancer like pancreatic. It's painful and people deteriorate and are really. I don't see this with Pat at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happened to my Gran. One day she was fine, the next she was in hospital, the day after that she was diagnosed and she died that night.:(
  • Options
    missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She also has a pulmonary embolism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Just said he same on another thread so sorry for the echo, but a seemingly healthy colleague of mine died three days after finding he was riddled with cancer. He had no idea.
  • Options
    calvin101calvin101 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    People don't become ill the day they are diagnosed - they've clearly hinted at Pat having been ill for sometime.

Having worked on an oncology unit for some six months, I can confirm that there are people who have received a diagnosis and died less than a week later. Equally, many people do not.

I suspect the show did not want to run two cancer storylines at the same time featuring treatment, etc. because that is Tanya's storyline - however simply because they have chosen to show a less common end of life circumstance for their character, it does not make it inaccurate or false.
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    I know it's only a soap but it's really not going to be the same without her :(