Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Unless BBC Cumbria is covering out-of-area matches, I assume that Barrow is the away team.

Oops. Good spot Ian, it was Hereford v Barrow :o
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 17th March - talkSPORT

Georgie Bingham presenting Sunday Exclusive alongside Ray Parlour, followed by Call Collymore from the Stadium of Light

Premier League
    Sunderland v Norwich City - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (1.30pm commentary), with Graham Courtney at pitchside and Carl Ralley producing
    Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham - Dave Rowe
    Chelsea v West Ham United - Ian Abrahams
    Wigan Athletic v Newcastle United - Graham Beecroft

Championship
    Brighton & Hove Albion v Crystal Palace - Elliot Cook
    Blackburn Rovers v Burnley - Simon Humphreys

Rugby Union: LV= Cup Final
    Sale Sharks v Harlequins (Sixways) - Russell Hargreaves

Cricket: Second Test Match
    New Zealand v England - Jack Bannister

Formula 1: Australian Grand Prix
    Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Albert Park - Geoff Peters

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Sunderland v Norwich City - Piers Edwards and Matt Lawrence (featured 1.30pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham - Toby Gilles
    Chelsea v West Ham United - Phil Blacker and Matt Lawrence (featured 4pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Wigan Athletic v Newcastle United - Dan Wheeler
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,534
    Forum Member
    I stumbled across talk SPORT live this afternoon and any criticism I may have made about talk Sport's style can be multiplied several times for talk SPORT live. If this is the only way that non-EU listeners can listen to the Premier League, then I am glad I live in the United Kingdom. I really was prepared to be impressed (or at least open-minded) but it really is appalling. The commentaries are arguably better that talk SPORT's commentaries in my opinion but the presentation style is well behind Adrian Durham and company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stumbled across talk SPORT live this afternoon and any criticism I may have made about talk Sport's style can be multiplied several times for talk SPORT live. If this is the only way that non-EU listeners can listen to the Premier League, then I am glad I live in the United Kingdom. I really was prepared to be impressed (or at least open-minded) but it really is appalling. The commentaries are arguably better that talk SPORT's commentaries in my opinion but the presentation style is well behind Adrian Durham and company.

I'm very surprised to read your criticisms Ian. Due to the lack of advertising and sponsorship reads (presuming you were listening to one of the stations taking a "clean feed" as opposed to doing so through a station like Brila FM in Nigeria who produce their own presentation), I would have imagined talkSPORT Live to be more to your tastes than talkSPORT UK or other commercial stations are.

What is it about the presentation in particular, as I notice you are critical about that rather than the commentaries themselves, that made you considered it to be "appalling"? As a regular talkSPORT Live listener, I find the job they do around the matches to be pretty straight forward, unspectacular but solid enough. For those who have never listened, the commentators take the reigns and do the usual previews and reviews, aided by a few audio montages of previous commentaries. While perhaps that is nothing to write home about, at the same time I'm not sure what could be so bad about that approach. Although I didn't listen much today, I know you will have heard Piers Edwards, who is/was a mainstay on the BBC World Service's Sportsworld, and/or Phil Blacker, who has forged a good career for himself on ESPN UK and Capital Gold Sportstime and is talkSPORT Live's regular commentator on Sunday 4pm games. Personally I think they are two of the better commentators/broadcasters working on the service, with them doing most of the featured games along with Richard Connelly and Alex Crook.

Then again you and I clearly have very different tastes - personally I'm a regular listener to the Sunday 4pm games on talkSPORT Live as I really do not enjoy Radio 5 Live's "big match" commentaries given some of the mainstays of their coverage, so I do appreciate the alternative. I find most of the talkSPORT Live regulars to be a lot more listenable than the likes of Alan Green, Mark Lawrenson and Robbie Savage.
    Forum Member
    As you say, it is a matter of taste. I am used to the Five Live style which suits me. It was totally by accident that I picked up tSl and gave it a go for about thirty minutes. I didn't hear any reports from Tottenham v Fulham but, presumably, there would have been one when Fulham scored. Maybe it was Phil Blacker's continual plugging of the next match (presumably a studio-based commentary) or maybe it was the general advertising promoting the Premier League but once is enough for me.
    I didn't mind Piers Edward's commentary and I think Phil Blacker (from his Captal Gold London days) is OK and, as I said earlier, I preferred the commentary style of Piers Edwards and Matt Lawrence to that of Stan Collymore and Sam Matterface.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you say, it is a matter of taste. I am used to the Five Live style which suits me. It was totally by accident that I picked up tSl and gave it a go for about thirty minutes. I didn't hear any reports from Tottenham v Fulham but, presumably, there would have been one when Fulham scored. Maybe it was Phil Blacker's continual plugging of the next match (presumably a studio-based commentary) or maybe it was the general advertising promoting the Premier League but once is enough for me.
    I didn't mind Piers Edward's commentary and I think Phil Blacker (from his Captal Gold London days) is OK and, as I said earlier, I preferred the commentary style of Piers Edwards and Matt Lawrence to that of Stan Collymore and Sam Matterface.

Fair enough. Thanks for explaining your criticisms as I'm not a fan of seeing things getting strongly slated without much in the way of an explanation. For the record, they tend to "play in" goal commentary clips from games that are ongoing while they are broadcasting on the international radio service, with non-international service matches going out as online-only commentaries streamed to non-EEC based listeners on talkSPORT.com, with them doing this rather than interrupting these to take live reports.

The 3.30-4pm half hour between the two Sunday live games is usually a gap that's a little tricky for them to fill, as understandably they tend to give their Sunday co-commentator (who does both featured matches) a rest so it tends to be the case that Phil or whoever is commentating on the 4pm match will build-up to that and review what has already happened. I was listening around the same time you were and heard Phil read the team news from Chelsea, have a look back on Sunderland v Norwich with Piers Edwards and preview Wigan v Newcastle with Dan Wheeler. While Phil did plug the service a fair bit I didn't find it to be continual. I imagine they would have had an update from Spurs v Fulham once that had reached half-time. Prior to live games in other timeslots they have a bit of analysis with the co-commentators, while after Saturday 3pm and Sunday 4pm matches they have a retrospective of that afternoon/weekend's matches which I have enjoyed when I have heard it.

I guess what might have put you off were the commercial breaks, which on stations such as Brila FM are filled with bespoke advertisements, but on talkSPORT.com's stream and on other stations where the coverage is carried in off-peak timeslots they have looped trailers detailing the talkSPORT Live service, TuneIn and audio montages about "Premier League unsung heroes" and such like. They do become repetitive after a while but I understand why they are there in order for the service to be tailored to suit some of the stations which carry it. And yes, talkSPORT Live does do all of its commentaries off-tube (although that being said, I noticed from Twitter that their Spanish language commentary team was at Wembley for the League Cup Final last month).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 17th March - Newstalk 106-108FM

Joe Molloy presenting Newstalk Sport Sunday

Premier League
    Sunderland v Norwich City - Dave McIntyre and Stephen Hunt (1.30pm commentary)
    Chelsea v West Ham United - Connor Morris and Kenny Cunningham (4pm commentary)

Snooker: PTC Grand Finals
    Bailey Allen Hall, Galway - Philip Egan

Newstalk don't appear to be taking IRN's updates on today's two other Premier League matches this afternoon.
    Forum Member
    RTE Radio weren't taking the IRN reports either.

BBC London
    Host Nick Godwin
    Brighton v Palace Jamie Reid ? and Steve Brown (DAB commentary)
    Tottenham v Fulham NG and Bradley Allen (commentary)
    Chelsea v West Ham Jamie Hill and James Scowcroft (second-half commentary)
    R/U: Harlequins v Sale Russell Hargreaves
    R/L: Castleford v London Trevor Hunt
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Newstalk don't appear to be taking IRN's updates on today's two other Premier League matches this afternoon.
    RTE Radio weren't taking the IRN reports either.

Unless found later tonight, should collect them tomorrow morning. :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I thought you might ride to the rescue. Not been my best weekend with Scotland losing last night (albeit with honour in my opinion) and Hearts losing this afternoon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I thought you might ride to the rescue. Not been my best weekend with Scotland losing last night (albeit with honour in my opinion) and Hearts losing this afternoon

Hear, Hear!
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 17.3.13

With Ian Payne

Chelsea v West Ham - Darren Fletcher + Steve Claridge (2nd half commentary)
    Sunderland v Norwich - Alistair Yeomans
    Tottenham v Fulham - Ian Dennis + Clive Allen (commentary)
    Wigan v Newcastle - Ian Brown

Blackburn v Burnley - Stuart Pyke
    Brighton v Crystal Palace - Alistair Bruce-Ball + Nigel Spackman (commentary)

Hearts v St Mirren - Roddy Forsyth
    Forum Member
    In addition, Sports Extra broadcast Blackburn v Burnley using the BBC Radio Lancashire commetary of Andy Bayes, Kevin Gallagher and David Eyres. Later, Sports Extra broadcast the Scottish Communities League Cup Final using the BBC Radio Scotland Sportsound broadcast.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 17/3/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound from Hampden Park on 810MW.

SPL

Dundee Utd v Dundee (12.00) - Paul Mitchell and Derek McInnes (commentary) with Charlie Mann pitchside

Scottish Communities League Cup Final

St Mirren v Hearts - John Barnes, John Robertson and Frank McAvennie (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside.

As noted above, this commentary was also carried on Five Live Sports Extra.
  • GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Wigan Athletic v Newcastle United - Ian Cheeseman and Paul Rowley - commentary
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a case of radio commentary being used on the TV, so I hope nobody minds me posting this here as I feel it's more fitting on this thread than on the equivalent one for TV in the Broadcasting section.

Sunday 17th March - BBC One (Midlands)

Late Kick Off

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Shaun Barker and Steve Froggatt

Coventry City v Hartlepool United - Clive Eakin (BBC Coventry & Warwickshire)
    Derby County v Leicester City - Ed Dawes (BBC Radio Derby) on the County goals; Ian Stringer (BBC Radio Leicester) on the City goal
    Hull City v Nottingham Forest - Colin Fray (BBC Radio Nottingham)
    Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol City - Mark Regan (BBC WM)
    Middlesbrough v Birmingham City - Richard Wilford (BBC WM)
    Walsall v Crawley Town - Andrew Dawkins (BBC WM)
    York City v Port Vale - Lee Blakeman (BBC Radio Stoke)
    Dagenham & Redbridge v Burton Albion - Charles Collins (BBC Radio Derby)
    Cheltenham Town v Rotherham United - Peter Matthews (BBC Radio Gloucestershire)
    Notts County v Scunthorpe United - Colin Slater (BBC Radio Nottingham)
    Crewe Alexandra v Shrewsbury Town - Stuart Dunn (BBC Radio Shropshire)

I've highlighted the local teams. In terms of the show's features, Nick Clitheroe (ex-BBC WM) and Laura May McMullan reported on the off-the-field situation at Coventry City, while Natalie Jackson had part two of her "Access All Areas" report on Billy Davies and Nottingham Forest. Seeing Forest assistant manager David Kelly (who up until recently was a BBC WM Football Phone-In co-host) captioned as "Ned Kelly Deputy Manager" made me laugh. :D
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    Sunday 14th April is set to be a busy day for talkSPORT with a triple-header of live commentaries:

Newcastle v Sunderland (12:00) in the Premier League

Stoke v Manchester United or Chelsea v Tottenham (14:05) in the Premier League

Chelsea / Manchester United v Manchester City (16:00) in the FA Cup Semi Final
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless found later tonight, should collect them tomorrow morning. :)
    Thanks. I thought you might ride to the rescue.

Ok it's Tuesday not Monday but found them! ;-)

IRN - Sunday

Sunderland v Norwich, 1330 Al Ross.
    Tottenham v Fulham, 1500 Andrew Cheal.
    Chelsea v West Ham, 1600 Nigel Bidmead.
    Wigan v Newcastle, 1600 Peter Smith.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds, and official Bradford City website
    host: Katherine Hannah
    commentator: Dave Fletcher
    summariser: Mike Harrison

The Pulse
    host and commentator: Tim Thornton
    summariser: Ian Ormondroyd
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales (Tuesday)

Newport County V Kidderminster Harriers - Simon Davies (hosting from Rodney Parade) Mark Poyser and Ian Walsh (All frequencies)

BBC Somerset (Tuesday)

Yeovil Town V Swindon Town - Dan Albutt (studio host - *I'm guessing*) Richard Hoskin and Chris Spittles (95.5FM)

Kidderminster with a late winner, spoilt what was an 'alright' birthday. So boo to you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 21st March - talkSPORT

Danny Kelly presenting Kick Off alongside Gabriele Marcotti

Under-21 International Friendly
    England Under-21s v Romania Under-21s - Graham Beecroft

It's a good thing Gab is on hand tonight, as later in the show Danny will be interviewing San Marino's 1993 goal hero Davide Gualtieri. Davide doesn't speak a word of English, Danny doesn't speak a word of Italian, should be a great interview. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    talkSPORT have recruited their new programme director today in long-serving station production Liam Fisher.
    talkSPORT appoints Liam Fisher as programme director

Sports radio station talkSPORT has named Liam Fisher as the company’s new programme director.

Fisher joined the company in 2000 and has held a number of roles, most recently as head of production.

“Liam knows the business inside out and has been a major part of driving the station to record audiences over the last few years. He knows the talent. He knows the audience. And he knows what makes them tick. He’s got great ideas and I’m confident that he will lead the station’s output to the next level,” commented Calum Macaulay, managing director for talkSPORT.

Fisher added: “To be the station’s programme director is one of the biggest jobs in sport and I’m really excited about our live sports coverage, including our exclusive commentary of this summer’s British and Irish Lions Tour to Australia, the incredible broadcasting talent that we have and working with our superb on-air, digital and commercial teams.”

The above is from: http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/03/22/talksport-appoints-liam-fisher-programme-director

This is what I know about Fisher, as I have posted in the talkSPORT Chat thread: he has been part of talkSPORT's production staff since the station's 2000 rebrand and I believe he has been involved in shows airing in most of the weekday daytime timeslots as well as their live sports coverage.

Fans of Hawksbee & Jacobs (especially from their earlier days on the station) might know Liam as "The P" or "The VP" - if I remember rightly, I believe his father (who they nicknamed "The Ploughman") also worked on their show. I think he's produced various incarnations of the Drive Time slot and the Sports Breakfast as well, plus their live sports coverage in more recent times.

Fisher was part of the station's production team at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups and at Euro 2012.

This is what Liam has tweeted about being appointed to his new role:
    Absolutely elated to be the new talkSPORT Programme Director. Fantastic broadcasters, live sport + behind the scenes teams to work with.

Of course, the first major task Liam will face in his new job is leading talkSPORT into the latest renegotiations of the Premier League's national radio rights. That's what you call being thrown in at the deep end! With BBC Radio 5 Live having also appointed a new managing editor in recent months and with the Premier League having issued their invertation to tender last week, I expect that the deal will be done over the next few weeks.

All the best of luck to Liam in those negotiations and in his new role in general - it is nice to see UTV Radio promoting from within and have given the top job to a long-serving employee who has put the hours in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 22nd March - talkSPORT

Danny Kelly presenting Kick Off: International Special

FIFA World Cup 2014 European Zone Qualifiers
    San Marino v England - John Anderson and Bobby Gould
    Scotland v Wales - Graham Beecroft
    Sweden v Republic of Ireland - David Brady

Cricket: Third Test Match
    New Zealand v England - Jack Bannister
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 22/3/13

Kenny McIntyre presenting Sportsound from Hampden Park on 810MW.

Scotland v Wales - Richard Gordon, John Robertson and Willie Miller (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    BBC Radio Scotland, 22/3/13

Kenny McIntyre presenting Sportsound from Hampden Park on 810MW.
    Whoops...it is in fact Jonathan Sutherland presenting.