Options

Charity begins at home (starting with Somerset)

Comments

• Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Actually I was being a bit flippant with your Woodstock generation vision. As regards a mythical white British monoculture I have never envisaged or proposed anything of the sort.

Has that vision, however idealistic, ever been bettered?
  • Options
    cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    The Government has pledged a lot of our money to help the folks down there. Money isn't the issue anyway. When we have as much rain falling as this, there isn't much we can do.

Money (or lack of it) WAS the issue that caused the lack of dredging, along with thickos at the Environmental agency - & to those who live in the CITY of Gloucester, the River severn has not been dredged for about the same time as the River Parrot - so instead of doing the "I'm alright jack" attitude, I suggest Gloucester city dwellers (for example) join with the Somerset level dwellers & INSIST that All major rivers that have had their dredging stopped, get it re-started - before next winter......
    It will not just be Maisemore & Tirley roads closed every time there is a shower or two.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To dredge a 1.2-mile section of the Parrett, they got a quote of £7,500.

The rest of your post has as much credibility as this.

A plumber would quote me nearly that much to dredge a 1.2m section of my bath (that's metres).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WE may not but the huge problems in other countries are in many ways a lack of proper tax and organisation there.
    Indeed, and who set up those corrupt and inefficient bureaucracies whilst making themselves wealthier at their expense?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    Money (or lack of it) WAS the issue that caused the lack of dredging, along with thickos at the Environmental agency - & to those who live in the CITY of Gloucester, the River severn has not been dredged for about the same time as the River Parrot - so instead of doing the "I'm alright jack" attitude, I suggest Gloucester city dwellers (for example) join with the Somerset level dwellers & INSIST that All major rivers that have had their dredging stopped, get it re-started - before next winter......
    It will not just be Maisemore & Tirley roads closed every time there is a shower or two.

I hope you will make representations to the government who are making large cuts in the Environment Agency's budget, then.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you will make representations to the government who are making large cuts in the Environment Agency's budget, then.

There's nothing wrong with their budget, it's where they are spending it that's the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with their budget, it's where they are spending it that's the problem.

So you agree to them having it cut then?
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Pretty much everything that humans have produced that has made the world a better place was created by city dwellers.

Is most of the food you eat produced in cities?
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    A plumber would quote me nearly that much to dredge a 1.2m section of my bath (that's metres).

As usual, you're using the wrong tool for the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    Is most of the food you eat produced in cities?

Obviously. Grown in Tescos, Waitrose, Sainsburys etc.. :p
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously. Grown in Tescos, Waitrose, Sainsburys etc.. :p

I am really despairing for our species.....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usual, you're using the wrong tool for the job.

Er, no tool was specified.

Still, I'd like to see the tool that can dredge over a mile of river for the cost of a large TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    Why do they keep acting as if the whole of somerset is under water. 150-200 homes on below sea level flat land are.

Anyone that bought a home there in recent years would have been informed its a high flood risk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    I am really despairing for our species.....;-)

We developed opposable thumbs and a large brain pan simply to evolve from being hunter gathers, to aisle gatherers capable of spotting a concealed BOGOF at 300m, to finally mouse gatherers. Food magically delivered to your doorstep without really needing thumbs. It's progress of a sort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, no tool was specified.

There's a picture of a dredger in the EUReferendum article. The EA's estimate presumably includes the cost of buying one rather than simply hiring or chartering one.
    Still, I'd like to see the tool that can dredge over a mile of river for the cost of a large TV.

A quick search and I found this article-

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/broads/live/authority/publications/conservation-publications/6_Investment_scenarios.pdf

The rising costs in removal and disposal of dredged material from 60p to £1 in the early 1980s to an average of £13.83 per cubic metre now has greatly reduced the volume that can be dredged at current budget levels..

..For example, the traditional practice of disposal to the adjacent bank side has only remained possible in a few locations following the introduction of regulations in the 1990s.

Good'ol EA and EU regulatory costs again. The £140/m^3 landfill tax charged to dispose of 'controlled waste' that used to be topsoil.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    graham x wrote: »
    Thank you. What I don't understand is the canals are dredged regularly, so why aren't the rivers. With the amount of rain we have had this past couple of years, flooding was inevitable.

Why did The Environment Agency not foresee the inevitable.

Because they don't have Crystal Ball, this is an event of nature, why does anyone have to be to blame.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a picture of a dredger in the EUReferendum article. The EA's estimate presumably includes the cost of buying one rather than simply hiring or chartering one.

A quick search and I found this article-

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/broads/live/authority/publications/conservation-publications/6_Investment_scenarios.pdf

The rising costs in removal and disposal of dredged material from 60p to £1 in the early 1980s to an average of £13.83 per cubic metre now has greatly reduced the volume that can be dredged at current budget levels..

..For example, the traditional practice of disposal to the adjacent bank side has only remained possible in a few locations following the introduction of regulations in the 1990s.
    Yes because moving topsoil from upriver to the banks downriver could continue indefinitely othwerwise, couldn't it?
    Good'ol EA and EU regulatory costs again. The £140/m^3 landfill tax charged to dispose of 'controlled waste' that used to be topsoil.

Yet the Broads can do it for only £13.83 per cu m, not the £140 per cu m figure you claim. Another hopeless contradiction from the Eel.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, and who set up those corrupt and inefficient bureaucracies whilst making themselves wealthier at their expense?

All independent countries for many years. India and Pakistan for 65 years, almost three generations of run by and for themselves and with an infrastructure legacy that was the pride of the Nation. You seem to want it both ways, the sub Continent countries are becoming super powers because of Independence but are inefficient at running their countries because of Colonialism. The people in Somerset are no longer responsible for the running of India and Pakistan. The retreat from Empire, which was demanded by the sub Continent peoples, was an expensive business for the UK and was a net loss after WW1.
    The GDP of India was plundered by little more than a few percent by the Nabobs and much of that could be considered investment returns in the same way Tata invests today in the UK, are they plunderers or investors, it is a an interesting parallel?
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has that vision, however idealistic, ever been bettered?

Well I am not sure, getting back to the garden does infer that there is a house somewhere. I do like my home comforts and can see the benefits of the city but it is all about liking and living with both although I do appreciate the English Idyllicists who revelled in the country but normally lived in town or close to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because moving topsoil from upriver to the banks downriver could continue indefinitely othwerwise, couldn't it?

Where do you think the silt in rivers comes from?
    Yet the Broads can do it for only £13.83 per cu m, not the £140 per cu m figure you claim. Another hopeless contradiction from the Eel.

The article was from 2007, and rates have increased since then. See-

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000509&propertyType=document#P144_17340

So Landfill Tax rose from £24/tonne to £80/Tonne. It also points out it's not applicable to dredging providing you jump through some hoops. See s4.1 and ponder how much drying or additives add to the cost. Oh, and naturally tax is added to the tax in the form of VAT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do you think the silt in rivers comes from?
    Er, that was my point, you can't just keep chucking the silt from upriver on the downriver banks forever.
    The article was from 2007, and rates have increased since then. See-

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000509&propertyType=document#P144_17340

So Landfill Tax rose from £24/tonne to £80/Tonne. It also points out it's not applicable to dredging providing you jump through some hoops. See s4.1 and ponder how much drying or additives add to the cost. Oh, and naturally tax is added to the tax in the form of VAT.
    And you can't keep chucking it in landfill forever either.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    If you want the same treatment for somerset as one of those international disasters then all that will happen is david cameron will throw a press conference and promise 50 million pounds all of which will stay in london and be siphoned off and they will send you some tents, bags of rice and outdated medication.

If that is what you want, fair enough, but im not sure how it will help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All independent countries for many years. India and Pakistan for 65 years, almost three generations of run by and for themselves and with an infrastructure legacy that was the pride of the Nation. You seem to want it both ways, the sub Continent countries are becoming super powers because of Independence but are inefficient at running their countries because of Colonialism. The people in Somerset are no longer responsible for the running of India and Pakistan.
    Where did some of the money to drain the levels come from? Profits from India?
    The retreat from Empire, which was demanded by the sub Continent peoples, was an expensive business for the UK and was a net loss after WW1.
    The GDP of India was plundered by little more than a few percent by the Nabobs and much of that could be considered investment returns in the same way Tata invests today in the UK, are they plunderers or investors, it is a an interesting parallel?

Tata would be considered plunderers by those opposed to capitalism. But it's a hopeless parallel as we've democratically allowed Tata to take money from the UK. We have a choice, our colonies most definitely did not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I am not sure, getting back to the garden does infer that there is a house somewhere. I do like my home comforts and can see the benefits of the city but it is all about liking and living with both although I do appreciate the English Idyllicists who revelled in the country but normally lived in town or close to.

"Literalism is the enemy of imaginative poesy" - The Sayings of GGP.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Cities are our greatest achievement. The countryside is for people who hate progress.

Yummee. Concrete veg.