Best PVR available?

JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
Forum Member
I want to move from virgin media / tivo which might be a tall order if not impossible
I currently get/want:

HD recorder
3 channel recording
Good/excellent SD tv picture quality
Extra channels/subscription including reality tv (need to be able to record these channels too)
Catchup TV on guide
1 gb storage
EPG search facility
Wishlists
You Tube?
Netflix?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    You wont find anything that meets all of those criteria, such as 3 channel recording.

Freeview, YouView and Freesat PVRs are two channel recording only, although you can watch a third channel if it is on the same mux/transponder as a channel being recorded, or you can watch a previous recording instead.

Catchup TV available via the guide means either YouView or Freesat Freetime. In which case it really has to be one of the Humax PVRs.

Extra subscription channels really means YouView from either Talk Talk or BT, but you cannot currently record those extra subscription channels.

The only way to record those subscription channels is to stick with Virgin, or move to Sky.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    1 gb storage
    So little? :D

I assume you mean 1TB?

The nearest PVR that fits your needs is a Youview box but few would call it the best for various reasons. But add a tablet that can be connected to your main TV to cover Netflix etc and you are mostly covered.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Good/excellent SD tv picture quality
    Not a chance on freeview, unless you only plan to watch the BBC channels.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wont find anything that meets all of those criteria, such as 3 channel recording.

Freeview, YouView and Freesat PVRs are two channel recording only, although you can watch a third channel if it is on the same mux/transponder as a channel being recorded, or you can watch a previous recording instead.

Catchup TV available via the guide means either YouView or Freesat Freetime. In which case it really has to be one of the Humax PVRs.

Extra subscription channels really means YouView from either Talk Talk or BT, but you cannot currently record those extra subscription channels.

The only way to record those subscription channels is to stick with Virgin, or move to Sky.

You can record subscription channels via BT they did a software update to let you back in November/December. There is however a minor bug in the retail Youview boxes that sometimes make the extra BT channels fail to record,

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    ney wrote: »
    You can record subscription channels via BT they did a software update to let you back in November/December. There is however a minor bug in the retail Youview boxes that sometimes make the extra BT channels fail to record,

Darren

Cheers,

In that case OP, BT Youview is about the closest to your requirements, away from Virgin and Sky.

The YouView boxes have their limitations though. They are not MHEG-IC compliant (which is why they don't carry the Freeview +HD logo as they aren't Freeview certified).. That means they cannot access the growing range of IPTV channels on Freeview. Not a major issue at present, as most of those channels are niche or poor anyway (and some are available via Talk Talk or BT YouView), but the range is growing.

You cannot set a manual timer. Not a huge issue today, as the majority of channels seem to have sorted out their accurate recording signals but it does mean you very occasionally miss the very beginning, or very end of a recording when the broadcasters mess up the AR signals. Rare these days, but something to be aware of.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    with all the +1 channels and repeats i can't say that i have ever needed 3 recorders.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »

Virginmedia do not have a mysterious alternative source for the SD channels, they receive them off air and feed them into their cable networks at each cable hub (for want of a better word).. Go to their local main offices and you will see they have an array of aerials and satellite dishes. The big dishes are there to distribute their own programming
  • staticmanstaticman Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »

I suggest you buy a decent TV!