London Live

Comments

• Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    encrypted for everyone

It has been encrypted for everyone since the start!

The viewing cards that have been able to decrypt it have varied though - from pretty much every Sky card (i.e. active ex-Sub, Freesat from Sky, and current Sub cards) to a much more locked down set (presumably Arqiva, Sky, London Live, CoMux and similar).

Hopefully pretty much all the cards that have see access permitted during the tests will get it when it goes live (i.e. FTV).
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was receiving it up until last Friday 21st March and now it is encrypted and I have the top flight package. My neighbour was using a FTV card before last Friday and was getting the wrong card for this set top box message on this channel. The card was working normally for Sony TV as it should for this FTV channel. One theory I have is that they may try to restrict viewers with FTV cards to the London area by only making it available to viewers who have ITV London on channel 103 on their cards. Any other viewers with FTV cards and a different ITV region at 103 could be locked out. The same of course could apply to full subscription cards come to that. It does seem a little strange that they should tighten the screw so virtually no one can receive it at moment. Anyone might think it is a big premium pay per view channel the way they are carrying on. Even many subscription channels in the past have broadcast FTA whilst on test as a means of promotion and only encrypting when finally going into programme service. There might be a feeling that by letting these local channels be viewable outside their designated areas that it might cause viewers to be detracted away from their own channels more local to them.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your theory may be correct (if it's technically possible) but at the moment the test transmissions are not available to London viewers either so it's hard to say. Everyone's getting the same message, irrespective of package or location.

It will be interesting to see what happens on 31st March.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel goes live today at 6.30pm. What's the situation now regarding reception? I would expect London viewers to be able to see the Sky signal, not sure about those elsewhere.
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel goes live today at 6.30pm. What's the situation now regarding reception? I would expect London viewers to be able to see the Sky signal, not sure about those elsewhere.

I'm able to see the Sky promo test channel now in Buckinghamshire, just outside the M25.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clear here in the South West.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    I'm able to see the Sky promo test channel now in Buckinghamshire, just outside the M25.

Working fine on my North West ex-Sub card too (BBC ONE N West and ITV Granada).
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on EPG yet. Anyone getting ITV London on 103 are in the London TV region and should get London Live on the EPG as soon as Sky get around to putting it on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. So it's as I thought, with the channel free to view nationwide via a Sky box, but not free to air (no Freesat reception).
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name on Other Channels now London Live and not a number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    London Live coming up outside London area on Sky so looks like this will be available to all via other channels, just not FTA.

Picture Quality isn't too bad either!

I'm watching it unencrypted now in Southern Hampshire area.
    Just a trailer running.
    It was encrypted over the weekend.
    Thats using other channels on 12.610 V, 22.000, 5/6.
    Listed as London Live now, was 50892
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London Live is now on channel 117 (Sky). I live in Epping just outside of London.
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now on my EPG too in Bucks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    I'm watching it unencrypted now in Southern Hampshire area.
    Just a trailer running.
    It was encrypted over the weekend.
    Thats using other channels on 12.610 V, 22.000, 5/6.
    Listed as London Live now, was 50892

It's still encrypted and will remain so (just a different level of encryption). Your Sky box can decode it but it's not free to air, so it can't be seen on a Freesat or generic satellite receiver.
  • Options
    DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am picking it up in the clear via other channels option.

For people like myself, if i had a dvd recorder connected to my sky box would i be able to record anything if was on that channel at that time from other channels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For people like myself, if i had a dvd recorder connected to my sky box would i be able to record anything if was on that channel at that time from other channels?

Yes you would.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not on my EPG on sky here but can see this in other channels however as you know is on channel 8 on freeview for me.
    How far out side of London is it on your sky EPG?
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not on my EPG on sky here but can see this in other channels however as you know is on channel 8 on freeview for me.
    How far out side of London is it on your sky EPG?
    Clacton is not in the London TV region. I suspect people in a place like Basildon will get it on their EPG as they get ITV London.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its not in the clear, its still encrypted, just Free To View
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you we find out what our local tv channel will be
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ive noticed that sky help are saying this for whether you will get it or not
    London Live will be available from the TV Guide and the Local TV menu only to viewers in the following sub-bouquets: 1, 18, 64, 66, 70.
    Anyone know how we find out what sub-bouguets we are in, be nice to know?
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    How do you we find out what our local tv channel will be

Who knows! I live 12 miles west of the M25, and Sky, in their ultimate wisdom reckon my local BBC One channel is BBC East ? :confused:
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aerofly2 wrote: »
    Who knows! I live 12 miles west of the M25, and Sky, in their ultimate wisdom reckon my local BBC One channel is BBC East ? :confused:

Nothing to do with Sky, they will supply you the regional channels they are told for specific postcodes.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I can advise. Whether your card is FTV or full subscription, the one thing you cannot do with this channel is swap viewing cards between boxes. Unlike Sony TV and other FTV channels where you can swap cards without having to pair them to boxes each time, with London Live the card performs just like it does with the premium channels such as Sky Sports, you get the " wrong card for this set top box message". So despite this being a non pay channel, the level of encryption is slightly different.
  • Options
    aerofly2aerofly2 Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with Sky, they will supply you the regional channels they are told for specific postcodes.

There must be hundreds, if not, thousands, of Sky customers who reckon they've been allocated the wrong region purely by their postcode.
    I know you say this is out of Sky's control, but surely isn't it about time (for Ofcom if it's up to them) to let people choose their own region in these instances? :(