Options

Four year old child won't eat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

My daughter had a nasty bout of sickness last Wednesday night. Pretty much a 24 hour thing, she came in from nursery absolutley fine and woke through the night vomiting which went into the early hours and subsided. She hasn't been sick since.

However this is the first time she has been sick like that and it gave her a bit of a fright. She is now refusing to eat anything. I have tried all kinds of things, even crisps etc which I don't like her to have too often but just anything to get her eating again. And she just won't. But she will drink fluid.

Obviously it has been a number of days now and I am becoming quite concerned. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this before I speak to her H.V. or G.P?

Many Thanks
xxx

Just to add for those of you that don't know, my daughter has cerebral palsy. Although I don't think its really relevant in this instance I always like to mention it when asking for advice.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once I refused to eat although I was about 8 and my Mum and brother took me to K.F.C and although I didn't eat all of it, I got half way through a mini fillet burger and chips so I guess it's a start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    If she'll drink fluids can you make her a fruit smoothie or something so that she's getting some goodness inside her? My daughter often refuses to eat after being poorly, she'll have the occasional yoghurt, bowl of soup or berries but thats about it for a few days. I just make sure she gets plenty of fluids until she picks up again. Your daughter may still be feeling a little off, but I'm sure she'll eat when she's hungry.

I hope she feels better again soon :)
  • Options
    mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    I have a 4yr old too and a couple of weeks ago she had a chest infection. For about 5 days she wouldn't eat anything hardly at all and drunk very little too (she's always been a guzzler for all fluids!). They say that children won't starve themselves so hopefully your daughter will get fed up with not eating and start again.

Not to be alarmist though, I have heard of cases where when a child has been vomitting, they become scared to eat assuming that the same thing will happen again.

I think I'd be inclined to pop along to the GP and mention it.

good luck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxSammiexx wrote: »
    If she'll drink fluids can you make her a fruit smoothie or something so that she's getting some goodness inside her? My daughter often refuses to eat after being poorly, she'll have the occasional yoghurt, bowl of soup or berries but thats about it for a few days. I just make sure she gets plenty of fluids until she picks up again. Your daughter may still be feeling a little off, but I'm sure she'll eat when she's hungry.

I hope she feels better again soon :)

Thats a excellent idea - why didn't I think of that?! :o I suppose when you get stressed about their health you sometimes miss the simplest ideas!

Thank you.
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried yoghurts, icecream, milkshakes? The fruit smoothie is a great idea as long as there are no bits in. Just try to build her back up, bring her confidence back and diminish the fear gently by softer foods? Mashed potato, tomato soup etc. It will be the solids she's afraid of now. You could pop some multi-vits and a build up tonic in her drinks maybe too?

Personally, I'd speak to the GP on Monday if she was still refusing to eat even after offering the yoghurts and things. I'm not sure if you should speak to someone sooner with your daughter having cerebal palsy though?

Edit: Ah, I see you haven't tried the 'smooth' drink type food method yet. Definitely give that a go first. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon. :)
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    If she's not eating maybe her stomach's still feeling a bit dodgy, and she'll eat when she's feeling better. Though if she's stopped being sick a few days ago that's not quite so likely to be the case, so maybe it's psychological, maybe you need to ask her GP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    I have a 4yr old too and a couple of weeks ago she had a chest infection. For about 5 days she wouldn't eat anything hardly at all and drunk very little too (she's always been a guzzler for all fluids!). They say that children won't starve themselves so hopefully your daughter will get fed up with not eating and start again.

Not to be alarmist though, I have heard of cases where when a child has been vomitting, they become scared to eat assuming that the same thing will happen again.

I think I'd be inclined to pop along to the GP and mention it.

good luck

Thank you. This is what I was concerned about as well. As well as having cerebral palsy she has just been diagnosed with high functioning autism and can become very fixated on things.

It's a very recent diagnosis (last fortnight) so I'm still getting my head around it. I will have a visit to the G.P to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Cme2007Cme2007 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    She may be still feeling off and/or has associated eating with being sick.

Now is the time to put all the good things to one side. Open the cupboards and ask her what she wants. Choc Ice and chips with a side order of jelly is fine.

You know how you feel when you're a bit off. There are times when only chocolate will do.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Thats a excellent idea - why didn't I think of that?! :o I suppose when you get stressed about their health you sometimes miss the simplest ideas!

Thank you.

No problem, glad to help. Good luck and let us all know how she gets on.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Thank you. This is what I was concerned about as well. As well as having cerebral palsy she has just been diagnosed with high functioning autism and can become very fixated on things.

It's a very recent diagnosis (last fortnight) so I'm still getting my head around it. I will have a visit to the G.P to be on the safe side.

Not eating is common in children with autism, all three of my autistic children have been small eaters and sometimes have eaten nothing at all for days on end in the past. A child will never starve themselves to death though, the secret is, not to make it an issue, to offer food every now and then but if it is refused, remove it and give her a nice drink instead, hopefully after a few days her apetite will return a little and she will feel hungry enough to try something.
    Even if it is rubbishy junk food that she wants, give it to her, as something is better than nothing.

My 6 year old lives on fromage frais and the odd chocolate a lot of the time, I know it is worrying but in the end she will be hungry enough to try something, even if it is cheesy wotsits ! :)
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your daughter is anything like my son, she may already be really finicky with food, the texture and the smell and since throwing up and the association - now the fear. He literally used to gag on certain foods if it was too chunky. As CME 2007 said, it will be a case of allowing her to have whatever she likes best, whatever she already enjoyed before. My son has always loved his Munch Bunch so I was lucky that however poorly he would always manage his yoghurts once he was up to it and then we'd build it back up with a bit of toast, you know he was really feeling better when he managed his favourite, chocolate.

It's not going to be any good trying her with icecream, jelly or fruit smoothies for instance if she didn't like them before. If she finds the texture and/or taste of fruit smoothies appalling as my son does, you may take a step backwards and compound the newly found fear of food. But if your daughter likes yoghurts, icecream, smoothies I'd try any of those with a bit of coaxing.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd advise trying her with Frubes, yogurt drinks, chocolate milk, that sort of thing. At least she'll be getting calories and calcium.

My son has had a cold and he's not wanted any proper food but demolished a box of Frubes last night.
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would she drink soup?