Options

Do women ever ask men out on dates?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
Just wondering whether this ever happened and how often.

I hear 'she has the hots for you - go and ask her out' but why don't the girls ask the lad out much?

Comments

• Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep - my wife made the first move when we got together.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Because despite the fact that most women CLAIM to want complete equality, a lot of them still prefer to follow old fashioned values and etiquette when it comes to dating etc.

There are exceptions obviously before I get shouted down with examples proving me wrong, but in my experience far less women than men tend to initiate in "asking out" a member of the opposite sex on a first date, even in this day and age.

Can any females on here explain why this seems to be the case because I don't really understand?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know quite a few shy blokes and I guarantee you they would love for a girl to make the first move - however small.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    My ex-wife began by taking me out and paying for it, and then let me live with her. I had to put up with her talking in a very loud voice stinking of booze about all her ex partners, and then when I had a bun in the oven (from the tesco 'free from' range) I found out she traded me out for another model. She didn't even put the toilet seat down. Women, what are they like, eh?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Because despite the fact that most women CLAIM to want complete equality, a lot of them still prefer to follow old fashioned values and etiquette when it comes to dating etc.

There are exceptions obviously before I get shouted down with examples proving me wrong, but in my experience far less women than men tend to initiate in "asking out" a member of the opposite sex on a first date, even in this day and age.

Can any females on here explain why this seems to be the case because I don't really understand?

I guess because for some it's daunting (not that it isn't daunting for men) so it's better to hide behind old traditions that suit them? I'm not going to shout you down, I see it too.

I personally have no problem asking men out but I know a lot of women that do. I asked my last boyfriend out, and have done others. One of my pet gripes actually is precisely this, wanting equality when it suits you but wanting to stick with old fashioned traditions when it doesn't. I'm for equality, I don't expect or want special treatment because I'm female.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women may not ask out guys directly but they do get their friends to try to encourage a chaps interest.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yeah. i do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    No, too shy :o

Plus the fact I don't take too kindly to rejection, it makes me very angry. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Not as likely. However they will probably hint at it. Pay close attention to body language, and how they act around you.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Plus the fact I don't take too kindly to rejection, it makes me very angry. :mad:

Same for me - but rejection just makes me hurt inside though I don't get angry.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I know plenty of girls and women who've asked men out.We live in modern times now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Same for me - but rejection just makes me hurt inside though I don't get angry.

I mean't more like rejection makes me hurt them on the outside. :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When women have their monthly meeting, they made sure I was added to the list of men never to ask out :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When women have their monthly meeting, they made sure I was added to the list of men never to ask out :)

I'm not sure I'd want to go out with a woman who was having her monthly meeting anyway. She's bound to in a foul mood and your chances of getting any action would be negligible...;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to before I was married - I also always got their number to call them as couldn't be bothered to wait around for them to call -would much prefer to be in control of when I rang
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Just wondering whether this ever happened and how often.

I hear 'she has the hots for you - go and ask her out' but why don't the girls ask the lad out much?

It happens, it has happened and it will happen.

Even if a woman doesn't ask you out directly, some will make it very obvious they are interested.
  • Options
    Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    One of my pet gripes actually is precisely this, wanting equality when it suits you but wanting to stick with old fashioned traditions when it doesn't. I'm for equality, I don't expect or want special treatment because I'm female.

Respect. Nothing worse than a woman who picks and chooses which part of equality she wants.

In my experience as many women ask men out as there are men who ask women out. Which is as it should be. Why should a woman hang around if there is a man she likes?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my experience, no woman has ever asked me out on a date, not even the rough ones with legs that open and close more than a cuckoo clock. They all want the bloke to make the first move.

Admittedly, some are more forward about wanting to be asked out than others but even when i've been on a guaranteed shag with the village bike, i've still had to put all the work in before I got anywhere.

A good few years ago when I was young and single I went to one of those grab a granny nights where it's notorious for older divorced women to pick up young lads and it was one of those places where you couldn't fail to cop off. That is of course unless you were me. I didn't have the confidence to actually chat a woman up and ask her out so all my friends who had the gift of the gab ended up with a night cap and I went home by myself.
    It's not about equality it's about power. Women feel empowered when they are the ones being chased and that's why I think despite equality, men still have to be the ones who do the chasing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    In my experience, no woman has ever asked me out on a date, not even the rough ones with legs that open and close more than a cuckoo clock. They all want the bloke to make the first move.

Admittedly, some are more forward about wanting to be asked out than others but even when i've been on a guaranteed shag with the village bike, i've still had to put all the work in before I got anywhere.

A good few years ago when I was young and single I went to one of those grab a granny nights where it's notorious for older divorced women to pick up young lads and it was one of those places where you couldn't fail to cop off. That is of course unless you were me. I didn't have the confidence to actually chat a woman up and ask her out so all my friends who had the gift of the gab ended up with a night cap and I went home by myself.
    It's not about equality it's about power. Women feel empowered when they are the ones being chased and that's why I think despite equality, men still have to be the ones who do the chasing.

Oh, stop me right now........must step away from the keyboard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

After a post like that I simply can't imagine why you've never been asked out!
  • Options
    curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

as i said elsewhere you are probably not reading the signals/signs correctly.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by The Wizard

If that's how you describe women you've asked out, Gods only know what you'd call a woman who made the first move. I wouldn't ask a man out incase he assumed I was gagging for it. Sadly that post confirms my fear.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    johnF1971 wrote: »

I agree with you on this

Some women do ask men out (especially women below 30) but I would still say its 90% men asking women

its a shame for them as i would say a womans success rate would be vastly higher than any man
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with you on this

Some women do ask men out (especially women below 30) but I would still say its 90% men asking women

its a shame for them as i would say a womans success rate would be vastly higher than any man

Also, it could be true that the kind of guys that are shy and don't tend to ask women out much would actually make better boyfriends/partners than the more confident guys who get loads of dates but may be the type more liable to cheat or treat women badly.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    If that's how you describe women you've asked out, Gods only know what you'd call a woman who made the first move. I wouldn't ask a man out incase he assumed I was gagging for it. Sadly that post confirms my fear.

Well put.

As a man who's been asked out by 2 women that I can clearly remember, I'm sure the majority of men don't think you are easy for asking them out. They sure as hell think you're interested. It's flattering and gratifying.

As for the rejection thing, us guys have to put up with that, why shouldn't you ladies?