Options

Is Bowie's new single eligible to chart on Sunday?

Comments

• Options
    MiresiaVertetaMiresiaVerteta Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't have a real musician pissing on the generic Will.I.Am and talentless Britney Spears parade can we?

Bowie is a musical genius... meanwhile, Britney Spears has got? Oh, erm... "It's Britney bitch". Nice legacy.

Indeed. She's nothing but a slapper with zero talent.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't have a real musician pissing on the generic Will.I.Am and talentless Britney Spears parade can we?

Bowie is a musical genius... meanwhile, Britney Spears has got? Oh, erm... "It's Britney bitch". Nice legacy.

It won't chart because it doesn't "ft" Rhianna or a rap from Tinie Talentless.
    I am not keen on Bowie's new song, but it's better than a lot of the dross in the charts right now!
  • Options
    Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this country just awful at everything? - They can't even get the music chart rules right! For Bowie's single u pay right there and then - that to me counts as a sale! How hard is it for the idiots at OCC to realise this? Therefore their 'rule' that prevents it from charting is utterly inapplicable. :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair I doubt Bowie and his team are bothered or they would have taken the appropriate actions, and getting to #1 on iTunes gets as much press as actually getting a #1 single these days so the song has already done its job.

I would argue showing that the chart rules are an ass, gets further headlines and press. Knowing Bowie's long history of surprises & publicity stunts it would not surprise me in the slightest if he encouraged his record company to do this.

The bottom line is on iTunes you have two choices: Either buy the downloaded track for 99p; or pre-order the deluxe album for £10.99 for which you get the track "free".

Clearly if you selected the second option (which saw the album sale to #1 on the iTunes album chart) then those sales should be excluded. But if (like me) you chose the former option (because either you just like the single, and don't want the album, or want to buy a physical copy of the album in March) then those sales should count on the proper chart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you get the song without buying the album or "agreeing to buy the album"?

Because in that case you're essentially buying the album and getting one of the songs early, which isn't the same as buying the single.

If there's a single-only version then that will chart obviously but if it's the above scenario then I don't see why people are complaining when it seems obvious that it can't chart.
  • Options
    Andy18Andy18 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Scream & shout 4 number 1 go britney b**ch
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This rule is nothing personal against Bowie and nothing to do with whether Bowie is better than everything else in the charts and therefore more deserving to be there.

Marillion's 2004 album "Marbles" was made ineligible for the charts under the same rules even though the lead single went top ten.
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like the charts mean much these days. You get such rubbish songs getting to number 1, it's like music is getting dumbed down for the masses. If someone on the x factor released a track full of white noise it would get to number 1.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is eligible to chart anyway.

With a bit of luck it will block Shitney from number 1.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Ah, the newcomer! This person was recently brought to my attention not so long ago. I'm not quite sure who this person is, to be honest. I don't know if it is a man or a woman. William & Britney are quite rightly going to number one this Sunday, so this person will have to settle for a lower position on the chart, which is a shame, but hopefully their record label will give them a second shot as it would be a pity for them to become just another casualty of Britney's chart domination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy18 wrote: »
    Scream & shout 4 number 1 go britney b**ch

The same britney who mimes at all her concerts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    Ah, the newcomer! This person was recently brought to my attention not so long ago. I'm not quite sure who this person is, to be honest. I don't know if it is a man or a woman. William & Britney are quite rightly going to number one this Sunday, so this person will have to settle for a lower position on the chart, which is a shame, but hopefully their record label will give them a second shot as it would be a pity for them to become just another casualty of Britney's chart domination.

He's a musical legend who can actually sing and doesn't mime in his concerts.
  • Options
    LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    He's a musical legend who can actually sing and doesn't mime in his concerts.

Could not agree more, actual talent never goes out of fashion, but rombod's post still made me chuckle.
  • Options
    Andy18Andy18 Posts: 61
    Forum Member

She still one of biggest pop stars in the world and after seeing on the ff tour she was singinglive
  • Options
    SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah the ironic Internet troll. Pretty amusing to be fair!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member

What has miming got to do with the singles chart? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy18 wrote: »
    She still one of biggest pop stars in the world and after seeing on the ff tour she was singinglive

That really isn't saying much...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    It is eligible to chart anyway.
    Thank God! I hope it can prevent 'Sream and Shout' from topping the chart!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think had it not been eligible the pop chart would have been more of a farce than it already is.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odie8391 wrote: »
    Can you get the song without buying the album or "agreeing to buy the album"?

Because in that case you're essentially buying the album and getting one of the songs early, which isn't the same as buying the single.

If there's a single-only version then that will chart obviously but if it's the above scenario then I don't see why people are complaining when it seems obvious that it can't chart.

You pre-order the album but after downloading the track you can immediately cancel the pre-order and just pay for the one track
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member

You've got to be ****ing kidding me...
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to be ****ing kidding me...

I'm taking it as a joke post
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I think had it not been eligible the pop chart would have been more of a farce than it already is.

I've not been happy with the way that the Official Charts Company seems to be handling the UK singles chart for a long time. There seem to have been subtle changes time and again that affect chart movement if you look back over the past 7 or 8 years.

Could you seriously imagine a situation where David Bowie sells 200,000 copies of this single, Where Are We Now, by Saturday evening, yet come the Official UK chart the following evening he shows up nowhere in the Top 40, when infact he would legitimately be Britain's No1? It would reek very badly, and finally I hope start making people ask a few questions of the OCC, because in my opinion it is highly suspect that more established acts are not having hit singles of any meaningful size, rather than the merry-go-round of same old stuff like that has been mentioned from Guetta, Rihanna and the rest, some with 5 or 6 songs in the Top 100 almost constantly.

David Bowie deserves his first solo UK No1 single since Let's Dance in April 1983, and I for one would be utterly thrilled, and even more so if his fans could keep it on top. I suppose I am dreaming?

Right, I'm off to buy it right now! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the chart company has encountered this situation before? Bowie isn't the first to release a single and announce an album.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I've not been happy with the way that the Official Charts Company seems to be handling the UK singles chart for a long time. There seem to have been subtle changes time and again that affect chart movement if you look back over the past 7 or 8 years.

Could you seriously imagine a situation where David Bowie sells 200,000 copies of this single, Where Are We Now, by Saturday evening, yet come the Official UK chart the following evening he shows up nowhere in the Top 40, when infact he would legitimately be Britain's No1? It would reek very badly, and finally I hope start making people ask a few questions of the OCC, because in my opinion it is highly suspect that more established acts are not having hit singles of any meaningful size, rather than the merry-go-round of same old stuff like that has been mentioned from Guetta, Rihanna and the rest, some with 5 or 6 songs in the Top 100 almost constantly.

David Bowie deserves his first solo UK No1 single since Let's Dance in April 1983, and I for one would be utterly thrilled, and even more so if his fans could keep it on top. I suppose I am dreaming?

Right, I'm off to buy it right now! :cool:

As ever, Rich, I am in agreement with you ... ;)

The OCC and their music industry paymasters should be quaking in their boots at Bowie's return. Yes, a genuine artist who doesn't need Autotune, someone else's song or to have their producer credited. And, more importantly, someone who has an opinion, something to say and just might do whatever the hell he wants.

Britney was only interesting when she shaved her head and had a meltdown. Unfortunately and predictably, she then did exactly what her record company/management told her - probably because she was stupid enough to sign a contract that left her beholden to them. Her desperation to remain in the public eye is crystal clear given her appearance by Simon Cowell's side and a track produced by - who else - will.i.am. Credibility? You gotta be kidding.

The singles chart is so redundant in any case now that it doesn't really matter if Bowie doesn't make number one. His return is the musical event of the week. And there is nothing Britney, will.i.am or their conveyor belt cr*p can do to diminish that.