Options

Outlander - Series 1 - RTE2 October 21st at 11pm

Comments

• Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I also think that actress would be good in "Outlander". She's Scottish AND
    she was in "Doctor Who"! ;-)

List of "Outlander" actors who've also been in "Doctor Who": Frazer Hines,
    Tobias Menzies, Simon Callow, Annette Badland and Prentis Hancock (there
    may be more).

I would love David Tennant to be in it, using his natural Scottish accent but I can't really think of a role that would suit him. He would have been perfect for Ian if he was 10-15 years younger.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there is a role for him in a later series. I am not a fan of David Tennant but appreciate he is very popular.
  • Options
    Miffy290580Miffy290580 Posts: 10,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love David Tennant to be in it, using his natural Scottish accent but I can't really think of a role that would suit him. He would have been perfect for Ian if he was 10-15 years younger.

I'm a huge fan of David and I think he would be brilliant in Outlander too. Im thinking maybe as King Louis in the next series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Louis, how about Charles Stuart?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

We could add Sylvester McCoy as well... (he's just done the Hobbit films, so it's
    not like Joe & Jane Public wouldn't recognise him).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if we are having all these Scottish actors, why not John Hannah, Ken Stott, Clare Grogan, and at a last resort, Billy Connolly! :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of David and I think he would be brilliant in Outlander too. Im thinking maybe as King Louis in the next series?

..or the Comte St Germain??

Incidentally I always thought that the colour of David Tennant's eyes are the exact colour of Claire's eyes as descripted in the books (and made so much of) - a whiskey/sherry colour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    So if we are having all these Scottish actors, why not John Hannah, Ken Stott, Clare Grogan, and at a last resort, Billy Connolly! :o:D

I would love to see John Hannah and/or Billy Connolly in it! I think BC is probably too ill now though :(

And the actor who played Archie in Monarch of the Glen was lovely :blush:
  • Options
    PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see John Hannah and/or Billy Connolly in it! I think BC is probably too ill now though :(

And the actor who played Archie in Monarch of the Glen was lovely :blush:

I would hate to see John Hannah in anything.

An awful actor, IMO.
  • Options
    Miffy290580Miffy290580 Posts: 10,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..or the Comte St Germain??

Incidentally I always thought that the colour of David Tennant's eyes are the exact colour of Claire's eyes as descripted in the books (and made so much of) - a whiskey/sherry colour.

Ahh yes that's very true never thought of that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two more Scottish actors - Ewen McGregor and his uncle, Denis Lawson (or has he been in it already?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denis Lawson is a favourite of mine too. He could play Lord Lovat, Jamie's wily Fraser grandfather!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea. Who could play Lord John Grey?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He is very young in Dragonfly, only 16 or so. In later years I'm not sure; someone tall, slim, blonde and aristocratic.....??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawrence Fox?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is very young in Dragonfly, only 16 or so. In later years I'm not sure; someone tall, slim, blonde and aristocratic.....??

Lord John isn't tall....
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

Dunno who could play LJG (I haven't read the books, although I know the
    character gets his own series of novels) but Moore and Gabaldon have expressed
    hope that if the "Outlander" TV series is successful enough, Lord John will get his own
    spin-off show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that Lord John isn't tall in the books doesn't mean he won't be on the TV. Look at Murtagh, completely different from how I imagined him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lawrence Fox?

I was actually thinking this myself :D:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord John isn't tall....

You are quite right, he's not :blush:

Somehow when I think of him he is, though :D

I think Laurence Fox would make a great older Lord John; not sure about who could play him as a young man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that Lord John isn't tall in the books doesn't mean he won't be on the TV. Look at Murtagh, completely different from how I imagined him!

As is Dougal, but somehow he works just fine.

I think the "minor" characters can be a bit different from the books but the major ones should be as close to the real thing as possible. It follows that great care should be taken in casting Brianna and Roger, and in time, young Ian.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Lawrence Fox, but he's nothing like Lord John. Nowhere near good looking enough. And a tall Lord John would be a travesty, imo.

A bit like a thin Claire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Lawrence Fox, but he's nothing like Lord John. Nowhere near good looking enough. And a tall Lord John would be a travesty, imo.

A bit like a thin Claire.

What about Freddie Fox, his cousin?? He is younger, shorter and more "classically" handsome.

I don't think Claire is all that different to the book, apart from height. Claire is slim but curvy. Catriona Balfe fits the bill, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good heavens, that was hard going! Superb acting all round, but particularly from Sam Heughan who deserves all the awards going.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Truly mesmerising performance from Sam. Incredible.

The scene with Jamie and Claire brought all the tears. I love those two.