'The Affair' coming to Sky Atlantic

Comments

• DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up after two episodes.

Way too slow for me, got bored very quickly. Not a fan of Ruth Wilson either, looks-wise and acting ability-wise. Just cannot see the attraction.

I put this to the resident judge of femininity in our house.
    First off he was very surprised, (as was I), that she was British, in our opinion she made a perfect fist of the accent.
    Neither of us are connoisseurs of acting ability, but we are both of the opinion that she was a worthy recipient of her Golden Globe award for best actress in a TV series.
    As for her looks, brain damage said that while he didn't consider her to be beautiful, she was double, double attractive as far as he was concerned.
    Now this is an accolade from him that piqued my interest, he said the same about my cousin, and I felt that I had to watch him, (and her), like a hawk for a while.
    I felt bad about that after, womanising is not his style.
  • Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 1 started off great, but I didn't like the "different perspectives" gimmick midway through, and when Ep.2 obviously was going to be along similar lines, I switched off at the halfway stage.

This show is getting massive amounts of hype on social media and in women's glossy magazines, but after a promising start, it just started to irk me. Won't be bothering to give it another try.
  • baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched first two episodes and was rather disappointed after all the hype...struggled to warm to characters so will not continue with this...
  • Feline77Feline77 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished it & I thought it was good, plus there are only ten episodes so if you decide to watch it, you'll get through it pretty quickly.
    The (sometimes very) different perspectives of the same events was a bit confusing for me - how/why were they so different? And I also thought that hardly anything had happened between them before they all of a sudden were telling each other they couldn't stop thinking about each other etc - it just seemed to move too quickly to be realistic. All the actors were good but I thought Maura Tierney was the best.
  • Hairy HaggisHairy Haggis Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I'm watching this on Sky UK.

Episode 3 and I don't know if I should continue watching it, gosh it's sooooo slow to get going.
    Ok there is a murder/death coming up but I just hate the jumping back and forth between each of their stories being interviewed in the future, but surely no two stories can have so many obvious errors in them?

I will stick with it if I know it's going to get better and have a fantastic ending but right now I'm in two minds over what to do........

Not into the sex scenes, do they need to be so graphic & cringeworthy? LOL....I'm getting old ! :)
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slow going this isnt it!

I kinda wish they would just get on with it - clearly something has happened to someone............

Alisons husband would be my gut instinct but who knows!

I quite like the 2 different story ideas, first Noah then Alison but I dont like the jumping to present day part with the police officer - not sure why that is needed tbh
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Noah character is weak and irritating,but thats probably intended.
  • LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Episode 3 and I don't know if I should continue watching it, gosh it's sooooo slow to get going.
    Ok there is a murder/death coming up but I just hate the jumping back and forth between each of their stories being interviewed in the future, but surely no two stories can have so many obvious errors in them?

I will stick with it if I know it's going to get better and have a fantastic ending but right now I'm in two minds over what to do........

Not into the sex scenes, do they need to be so graphic & cringeworthy? LOL....I'm getting old ! :)

This is challenging TV, so if your attention's wandering and you can't keep pace with the two perspectives perhaps you'd be better off watching Corrie. ;)

I'm intrigued, and I can't wait to see who's the person that's the 'murder' victim. We know it's a man, so is it Alison's controlling husband, Noah's pretentious pa-in-law, or Oscar the creepy owner of the Lobster Roll who wants to build a bowling alley next to the diner against the locals' wishes?

As for the sex scenes, I think they're necessary to show that Noah and Alison are still sexual beings, and still attracted to their other halves, which makes their affair even more shocking.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am loving this show. I have watched the first two episodes and im hooked. I am desperate to watch more.

It helps that Alison's husband is soooo blummin gorgeous.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I am loving this show. I have watched the first two episodes and im hooked. I am desperate to watch more.

I have been wracking my brains as to who he is and it suddenly hit me - he was Pacey in Dawsons Creek!!

Joshua Jackson I think is his name and yes, he has grown up to be a very gorgeous man!
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

Yes, he's more attractive to me than Noah. I'd stick with him if I was Alison :p
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched first two episodes and was rather disappointed after all the hype...struggled to warm to characters so will not continue with this...

I felt the same after watching the third episode, reckon you were right to throw in the towel when you did.

Shame really as I had high hopes, maybe that was the problem.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. Can I ask a question of those who've watched all of it. Without giving away any spoilers so we actually find out which story is true? I googled but didn't wanna find out the ending.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really disappointed with tonight's episode, it was slow and a bit boring at times.
    I want to know what happens, but I felt like it was a wasted hour of my TV life tonight.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I like how slow it is, I find it fascinating. Last night's episode was brilliant.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up after two episodes.

Way too slow for me, got bored very quickly. Not a fan of Ruth Wilson either, looks-wise and acting ability-wise. Just cannot see the attraction.

It's clear to me.
  • Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member

It was my wife who wanted to watch this series, so I went along with her wishes, (I'm no dummy.)
    I too am curious to find out who the victim is, quite a few to gamble on.
    As for the sex scenes, I'm intrigued as to how they do these gracefully.
    While we have to accept that actual penetration is not taking place, their actual 'bits' surely are in contact.
    Does the guy have some kind of 'sock' on his penis, with a rubber band holding it in place, and/or the woman have a large band aid taped across her vulva?
    Or for the sake of their art do they just bang away, genitals in contact, without actually "doing the deed?"
    Sounds prurient, but I'm intrigued to know.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was my wife who wanted to watch this series, so I went along with her wishes, (I'm no dummy.)
    I too am curious to find out who the victim is, quite a few to gamble on.
    As for the sex scenes, I'm intrigued as to how they do these gracefully.
    While we have to accept that actual penetration is not taking place, their actual 'bits' surely are in contact.
    Does the guy have some kind of 'sock' on his penis, with a rubber band holding it in place, and/or the woman have a large band aid taped across her vulva?
    Or for the sake of their art do they just bang away, genitals in contact, without actually "doing the deed?"
    Sounds prurient, but I'm intrigued to know.

An interesting article here.
    http://mashable.com/2015/02/14/sex-scenes-accessories/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how slow it is, I find it fascinating. Last night's episode was brilliant.

I liked the slowness of it too. Doesn't have to be a murder every ten minutes to be interesting. Ruth Wilson is a very compelling actress. I didn't realise she was British until I looked her up on Google. It's great to have two Brits playing Americans and doing it so convincingly.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzyroz wrote: »
    This is challenging TV, so if your attention's wandering and you can't keep pace with the two perspectives perhaps you'd be better off watching Corrie. ;)

I'm intrigued, and I can't wait to see who's the person that's the 'murder' victim. We know it's a man, so is it Alison's controlling husband, Noah's pretentious pa-in-law, or Oscar the creepy owner of the Lobster Roll who wants to build a bowling alley next to the diner against the locals' wishes?

As for the sex scenes, I think they're necessary to show that Noah and Alison are still sexual beings, and still attracted to their other halves, which makes their affair even more shocking.

Can't be Oscar, as Noah told the detective that he'd be looking at Oscar as the culprit if he (Noah) was investigating.

I love the show. Ruth Wilson is fantastic, and I'll watch anything with Dominic West in.

I would say though that just because someone doesn't like the dual perspective aspect, there's no need to insult them about it.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I wish I could stop looking at Dominic West without thinking of his role as Fred West!
  • XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could stop looking at Dominic West without thinking of his role as Fred West!

:D I know!

I've got halfway through episode 4, and come to the conclusion I don't like the two lead characters, couldn't care less what happens to them, so that's me done I think, might revisit or try to find out online with a quick read up of the plot and conclusion, mainly because of their poor spouses!
    But another six and a half hours when I don't like the characters nope not for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I like it. Can I ask a question of those who've watched all of it. Without giving away any spoilers so we actually find out which story is true? I googled but didn't wanna find out the ending.

It was told from each person's point of view. For example, in Noah's account, Alison is always wearing more revealing clothing and is coming on to him. In her version, he's seducing her and she's dressed more demurely. So there's no absolute truth in either account, just their own interpretation of how they remember it.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I'm loving it. Can't wait for tonight's episode.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was told from each person's point of view. For example, in Noah's account, Alison is always wearing more revealing clothing and is coming on to him. In her version, he's seducing her and she's dressed more demurely. So there's no absolute truth in either account, just their own interpretation of how they remember it.

But there are some quite big differnces like she in fact saved his little girl from choking. The shower thing in her garden. How can a person mix up whether she stripped off and got in naked in front of him?