Advert for "Revolution" on Sky 1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone, who watches US tv, seen this, and is it any good. It looks, from the advert, that it might be quite good.

Comments

• Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appears to be doing well in the US and near certain to be renewed for series 2. These days that is a good start in deciding what to watch.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the majority at DS who post in the Revolution thread over in Cult/SF/Fantasy post to take the piss, as it's just another awful The Event / FlashForward type thing... albeit one that's been more successful so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THing is with Sky, they make the Ad's/Trails too bloody long and repetitive! If they had had a short snippets for a few days i.e. plane falling from the sky, then extended it slowly we would all be fast fowarding the hell out of that Ad by now!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer makes you think it's really dramatic, spectacular and worth watching. You'd be wrong. It's as tedious as Falling Skies.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see they're following the successful strategy of The Following and broadcasting the first two episodes four times in the first week in primetime (plus +1 and Sky2 showings), to give the show a good start.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I've been getting it from the states and i quite like it.

Looking forward to the next episode on the 25th :)

I also like falling skies! :D
  • KingOliKingOli Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give it a 9/10 for the idea/premise of the show but probably a 2/10 for execution.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    It's early days yet, so will see how it pans out :)
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just couldn't get past the ridiculous fundamental premise for the show. It didn't make any sense on any level and really spoilt what could have been a fairly average show.

It's as if a writer made a soap about "ordinary northern folk" and then decided to set it in Hong Kong. No amount of explanation about how they ended up there would make and sense and the clash between the setting and the stories would continually grate and be the single biggest "elephant" on the set.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    I just couldn't get past the ridiculous fundamental premise for the show. It didn't make any sense on any level and really spoilt what could have been a fairly average show.

It's as if a writer made a soap about "ordinary northern folk" and then decided to set it in Hong Kong. No amount of explanation about how they ended up there would make and sense and the clash between the setting and the stories would continually grate and be the single biggest "elephant" on the set.

What didn't make sense?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What didn't make sense?
    The idea that
    you can just make electricity "disappear" like that.
    It's ridiculous and is such a crass error, with so many far-reaching implications that were just ignored that it kills the whole story. You might was well have a story where gravity disappears from the planet and the only effect it has is that people can fly.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Something I wonder about the show is this, in the trailer we see a plane falling from the sky, but it is still showing its lights etc, ok I thought, perhaps its using batteries, but in the next clip we see all the cars stopping on the freeway, with all their lights going out, so clearly batteries are affected too!
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    The idea that
    you can just make electricity "disappear" like that.
    It's ridiculous and is such a crass error, with so many far-reaching implications that were just ignored that it kills the whole story. You might was well have a story where gravity disappears from the planet and the only effect it has is that people can fly.

This was my big issue with the reaction to the show among a certain subsection of the audience. It's soft science-fiction. It takes a hypothetical science fiction concept (i.e. what would happen if electrical items stopped working), and explores its potential effect on society through the prism of a handful of characters.

Now, I think it's fine to complain that the show does this ineffectively (although personally I think it does it as well as a big budget network blockbuster could be expected to), but to complain that the science is faulty is ridiculous.

You might as well complain about Doctor Who or The Twilight Zone or Jules Verne.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be glad when it is 30th March so I don't have to see that advert again.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's crap and I can't believe it's going to get another season, when the likes of FlashForward/The Event/No Ordinary Family got canned.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I wonder about the show is this, in the trailer we see a plane falling from the sky, but it is still showing its lights etc, ok I thought, perhaps its using batteries, but in the next clip we see all the cars stopping on the freeway, with all their lights going out, so clearly batteries are affected too!

A bit of artistic license with the planes, I think, else we wouldn't see them fall. Though with the cars the engines all stopped first, then, after a few seconds, the lights went out - so maybe it was the same with the planes?
    I think the premise does work, if it's that electricity can no longer flow through metals which would leave our brains/neverous system and lightning still working. The programme could have cleared that up in ep. 1 really.

I've just recalled an old kids programme from my childhood where the same result - no electrical machinary - was achieved by a kind of mass hysteria such that people were convinced it was evil and would no longer use it. Anyone else remember The Changes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    KingOli wrote: »
    I'd give it a 9/10 for the idea/premise of the show but probably a 2/10 for execution.

I agree, but I still like it! I didn't think it has been renewed or cancelled yet? I hope it doesn't meet the same fate as the aforementioned FlashForward, No Ordinary family & The Event.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bgtension wrote: »
    It's crap and I can't believe it's going to get another season, when the likes of FlashForward/The Event/No Ordinary Family got canned.

I'd say FF and The Event were more to do with low viewing figures caused by people losing interest and not bothering to return after the lengthy mid-season break.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought The Event was all the better for finishing where it did, on a sort of cliffhanger. The ending was quite good and not everything needs a conclusion. A second series would've just been like "V".
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In addition, the human body also functions by means of electrical impulses. Following that logically would however, make for a very short series.
  • tommanningtommanning Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Is anybody watching this?

Yes, it's clichéd, nonsensical, and clearly written by a teenager but I'm bloody hooked.

Though it's bizarre that suddenly after 15 years is all starting to happen.

Similarly, the borders of the U.S and Canada/U.S and Mexico are exactly as they were the day the electricity went out. Despite the U.S itself no longer existing, having been replaced by republics/wasteland. Nuts.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tommanning wrote: »
    Similarly, the borders of the U.S and Canada/U.S and Mexico are exactly as they were the day the electricity went out. Despite the U.S itself no longer existing, having been replaced by republics/wasteland. Nuts.

In the series America has devolved into six areas, three of which (The Monroe Republic, the Plains Nation and the Commonwealth of California) extend into southern Canada whereas Texas extends into northern Mexico

http://revolution.wikia.com/wiki/The_Monroe_Republic?file=Map.jpeg
  • tommanningtommanning Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    My bad. Only got a quick glimpse of the map
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tommanning wrote: »
    My bad. Only got a quick glimpse of the map

No worries