Patrick Moore attacks Germany he still hates it after 70 years

Comments

• The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    rozafa wrote: »
    Why is any of this a shock. He is hardly famed for his PC views. Patrick Moore has always been very right wing and has supported many far right parties in the past.

Quoted from Wikipedia.

Erm, since when were UKIP a FAR RIGHT party?
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I'm not perfect either, I admit ;) But everyone judges everyone else all the time. I see you just said "It's just as silly to get all worked up and upset about what one old man says as it is to hate all Germans" - that's judging Abbasolutely, surely.

I wasn't judging anyone, on this thread or off. Life is too short to let the opinion of one elderly man upset you. I have a disability and if I let peoples opinions (we are all workshy scroungers ) upset me I would never leave the house. It's not worth it.
    Everybody must sing from the same hymnsheet in this day and age.
    Surely you must know that?

It's something of a paradox, as the world becomes more open to people through global communication, differences of opinion are becoming less and less tolerated.

From the article, I'd say PM loved irrationally and hates irrationally.
    He's just one person.
    The idea that his opinions mustn't be broadcast only really illustrates that people are scared of everybody else around them.
    But then that does follow as the world becomes more globalised and individual communities/countries become less united.

They don't trust people not to make a judgement about what he says for themselves.

I do agree with this to an extent. Conformity seems to be the way forward rather than having a live and let live attitude.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    I think its personally wrong to judge ANYONE by their nationality. We are all human, bleed the same colour etc. Although I sympathise with the loss of his wife, I obviously wish he wouldn't be so bitter. But I do feel sorry for him nonetheless because he lost somebody tragically.

Thankfully the younger generation don't think like this. This is the reason why I love immigration and globalisation. The world is becoming more mixed raced, Britain's white population is diminshing and is becoming more coffee coloured.

Some people hate this, I love it. I think when the world looses its sense of patriotism, old barriers go, the better. When there is no more white people, asian people, or black people. I think the world is better for it.

You mean when theres no more diversity? What a depressing world that would be, in many ways. :(
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But no one was speaking about your husband or children were they? It's that personification of a nation and depth of feeling in your reaction that reminds me of Patrick. You're angry and unforgiving about the fact Patrick implied all Germans should be killed, Patrick is angry and unforgiving because Germans killed his fiance. Two sides of the same coin, you know?
    If Abbasolutely had implied that all astronomers (for the next 70 years) should be killed because of what Patrick Moore said, you might have a point.
  • Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean when theres no more diversity? What a depressing world that would be, in many ways. :(

Three words: Gnobe sock account.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But no one was speaking about your husband or children were they? It's that personification of a nation and depth of feeling in your reaction that reminds me of Patrick. You're angry and unforgiving about the fact Patrick implied all Germans should be killed, Patrick is angry and unforgiving because Germans killed his fiance. Two sides of the same coin, you know?

Yes , He was speaking of my children and husband they are German .And my anger is directed at the person who insulted them .Moores anger is directed at anyone who happens to be German .Big huge difference .
    It would be the same as me now directing my anger at Moores family and friends because he said something wrong .Big huge difference .
    I think most people can see that difference in my replies .My anger is aimed at the perpetrator , his at the whole nation

And to anyone who says I said I was leaving the thread , I was till I saw Smokeys post actually and need to redeem myself
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I wasn't judging anyone, on this thread or off. Life is too short to let the opinion of one elderly man upset you. I have a disability and if I let peoples opinions (we are all workshy scroungers ) upset me I would never leave the house. It's not worth it.
    You obviously were - you called someone's actions or feelings silly. It just doesn't seem like "judging" when it's yourself doing it, but it is! (Remember I'm not saying judging is a bad thing, though.)

I do sympathise with "I don't have time to listen to everyone's nonsense ideas", obviously! But you can't choose what upsets you, and maybe more importantly, if nobody fights against them, the people who have that opinion of people with disabilities win. A bunch of people with disabilities lost a huge chunk of their benefits yesterday, as I'm sure you know, and a large part of how the government got away with that is because not enough people are challenging the "workshy scroungers" story that the government and the tabloids put out.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes , He was speaking of my children and husband they are German .And my anger is directed at the person who insulted them .Moores anger is directed at anyone who happens to be German .Big huge difference .
    It would be the same as me now directing my anger at Moores family and friends because he said something wrong .Big huge difference .
    I think most people can see that difference in my replies .My anger is aimed at the perpetrator , his at the whole nation

And to anyone who says I said I was leaving the thread , I was till I saw Smokeys post actually and need to redeem myself
    Perhaps your husband and children are the Germans that Sir Patrick acknowledge "can be good, free, honourable, decent Germans’.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Perhaps your husband and children are the Germans that Sir Patrick acknowledge "can be good, free, honourable, decent Germans’.

He admitted there ‘can be good, free, honourable, decent Germans’ only to add: ‘I haven’t met them myself, but I’m sure they exist.’

I can maybe assure him they exist
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    You obviously were - you called someone's actions or feelings silly. It just doesn't seem like "judging" when it's yourself doing it, but it is! (Remember I'm not saying judging is a bad thing, though.)

I do sympathise with "I don't have time to listen to everyone's nonsense ideas", obviously! But you can't choose what upsets you, and maybe more importantly, if nobody fights against them, the people who have that opinion of people with disabilities win. A bunch of people with disabilities lost a huge chunk of their benefits yesterday, as I'm sure you know, and a large part of how the government got away with that is because not enough people are challenging the "workshy scroungers" story that the government and the tabloids put out.

I don't think saying it is silly to get upset over one old mans comment is judging. It's just a fact. It is silly. We shall have to disagree on that one. I also disagree that you don't hyave a choice about what upsets you. You do. We all have a choice. Life throws all sorts of crap our way but it is up to us how we react.

If there was a flurry of people all posting that they hate Germans we might have to do something about it but PM is of a soon to die out generation. He is entitled to his opinion. Others are entitled to disagree. I disagree. No point getting emotional though.

EDIT: just to clarify, I had no idea about disabled people losing benefits as I don't claim any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He admitted there ‘can be good, free, honourable, decent Germans’ only to add: ‘I haven’t met them myself, but I’m sure they exist.’

I think he knows they exist, and has probably met lots of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps you should write to him and tell him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you should write to him and tell him?

No, I cant be arsed !Enough that I know :D
    As Starpuss said its just not important enough actually to get upset about an old mans lack of insight and lack of understanding .
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I have every respect for Sir Patrick Moore, his very great contribution to science education over the decades and for his wartime service defending the United Kingdom.

It is also worth pointing out that Sir Patrick would not be saying the things that he does if it were not for Germany's unprovoked war of aggression, torture, murder and genocide against other European states and the subsequent failure of the post-WWII German-speaking states to fully prosecute or extradite their war criminals and their failure to control their neo-Nazi and far right extremists.

Indeed, it is now fashionable amongst some members of the ruling mainstream CDU party, such as the revisionst MP Erika Steinbach, to present Germans as the true victims of WWII and that is nothing short of a complete travesty.
  • Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its personally wrong to judge ANYONE by their nationality. We are all human, bleed the same colour etc. Although I sympathise with the loss of his wife, I obviously wish he wouldn't be so bitter. But I do feel sorry for him nonetheless because he lost somebody tragically.

Thankfully the younger generation don't think like this. This is the reason why I love immigration and globalisation. The world is becoming more mixed raced, Britain's white population is diminshing and is becoming more coffee coloured.

Some people hate this, I love it. I think when the world looses its sense of patriotism, old barriers go, the better. When there is no more white people, asian people, or black people. I think the world is better for it.

..Wow, I don't think I have ever come across a post as delusional as this one.

and I believe you probably really mean a world better off with no more white people, because those who are mixed race identify themselves as Black and even look Black.

Look at Ashley Cole and Obama for example. They identify themselves as Black, not mixed-race...Obama has even been referred to as America's first BLACK president.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same could be said about the British and the British empire and their unprovoked war of aggression against minorities around the world.

Do you think some aboriginies don't hold a grudge against the British??

What about some Irish catholics for bloody sunday etc??

So Germany have been aggressors, but lets be honest its a bit pot.kettle.black when some British people are complaining about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same could be said about the British and the British empire and their unprovoked war of aggression against minorities around the world.

Do you think some aboriginies don't hold a grudge against the British??

What about some Irish catholics for bloody sunday etc??

So Germany have been aggressors, but lets be honest its a bit pot.kettle.black when some British people are complaining about it.

..Oh thats right because the it was the Aboriginies and Native Americans who would have made Australia and the U.S.A the social & economic super-powers they are today isn't it? and of course the aborigines were going to build Sydney Harbour & all the skyscrapers weren't they? they had gathered up all the sticks and stones and were ready! but they were just beaten to the punch by damn whitey!
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..Wow, I don't think I have ever come across a post as delusional as this one.

and I believe you probably really mean a world better off with no more white people, because those who are mixed race identify themselves as Black and even look Black.

Look at Ashley Cole and Obama for example. They identify themselves as Black, not mixed-race...Obama has even been referred to as America's first BLACK president.

i like a more diverse world with less bigotry like Sir Patricks comments, YES. I'm sorry for his loss but they're still unacceptable.

And thats the way the world is going anyway. The world is mixing up, conservative attitudes are dying (e.g. gay marriage will be law eventually). Most european nations are recieving immigrants and are changing due to low native birth rates. I see nothing wrong with this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it could.

I can see why people may "hate" the "British" because of our history. I would tell them they were wrong, just as I would with Sir Patrick. However where we differ is that there are some circumstances where it is understandable that people hold such irrational views.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like a more diverse world with less bigotry like Sir Patricks comments, YES. I'm sorry for his loss but they're still unacceptable.

And thats the way the world is going anyway. The world is mixing up, conservative attitudes are dying (e.g. gay marriage will be law eventually). Most european nations are recieving immigrants and are changing due to low native birth rates. I see nothing wrong with this

Most European nations are receiving migrants AGAINST their wishes, Right-Wing parties are actually GROWING in power not just in Eastern Europe but in Scandinavia too (look at the last Finnish election results)

in Britain immigration is the 2ND BIGGEST worry for Britons after the economy, how is any of that an indication that Europe wants to become a globalist state?

like I say, its quite funny to come across posts this deluded.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on a man of almost 90 years old who lives alone and has for many many years and no family will mostly live in the past.

Those of you who say my mum , dad gran etc do not think like this then just thank god ( or whomever) that they are not old and lonely living with the memory of someone who died so long ago as then they might very well think the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on a man of almost 90 years old who lives alone and has for many many years and no family will mostly live in the past.

Those of you who say my mum , dad gran etc do not think like this then just thank god ( or whomever) that they are not old and lonely living with the memory of someone who died so long ago as then they might very well think the same.

..I think Mr.Moore hasn't even travelled to Germany for a very long time also.

I think Germans & Germany are the most impressive & efficient people on the planet.

One wonders if they did indeed genuinely leave behind a master-race when you consider just what they have achieved post-war and when you consider that their economy is still powerful and enjoying prosperity whilst ours crumbles.

Also take into consideration ''Operation Paperclip'' which is pretty much Americans bleeding information out of German Scientists in order to create their un-earthly aircraft (SR-71 & B2 Stealth bomber all conceived by Germans back in the 40s!!!)
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..I think Mr.Moore hasn't even travelled to Germany for a very long time also.

I think Germans & Germany are the most impressive & efficient people on the planet.

One wonders if they did indeed genuinely leave behind a master-race when you consider just what they have achieved post-war and when you consider that their economy is still powerful and enjoying prosperity whilst ours crumbles.

Also take into consideration ''Operation Paperclip'' which is pretty much Americans bleeding information out of German Scientists in order to create their un-earthly aircraft (SR-71 & B2 Stealth bomber all conceived by Germans back in the 40s!!!)

No one doesn't.

"German" is not a race.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should meet Mrs Merkel at a garden party at the Palace.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one doesn't.

"German" is not a race.

Ok well the ''Germanic'' peoples are a race and we English fall under that too, I think maybe the Germans are the cream of the crop.