Options

Lady Gaga - 'Applause' Music Video (premiere)

13»

Comments

• Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Is it affecting her sales though,here or in the US??
    That's the aim. IMO a late released vid has bugger all chance of reversing a songs fortunes.

actually, to be fair the song is finally starting to rise again in the us. its only up one place mind you at #6 on itunes, but its broken cycle of a consistent drop somewhat. in the uk, it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all so far.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    actually, to be fair the song is finally starting to rise again in the us. its only up one place mind you at #6 on itunes, but its broken cycle of a consistent drop somewhat. in the uk, it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all so far.

Nothing to write home about obviously, but it's had numerous dark green updates on Kworb since it's release compared to it's constant dark red decline over the last couple of days.
    She's good at creating the look and feel of her videos, but she really does need someone to take her ideas and mould them into a cohesive concept and execution. I had hoped she gathered this, particularly after saying she wouldn't be directing ARTPOP videos, but however great Inez and Vinoodh are...they're fashion photo/videographers and not directors.

As a fan, it's annoying that she could have her pick of any producer, director, choreographer, stylist, make up artist etc. in the industry, but continues to chose inexperienced friends who compromise her potential.

^^ I agree with all of this.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Nothing to write home about obviously, but it's had numerous dark green updates on Kworb since it's release compared to it's constant dark red decline over the last couple of days.

^^ I agree with all of this.

i agree, its an increase hardly worth noting at this stage.

i also agree with the last point of that post particularly, but to be fair, that is what a lot of people have been saying including myself since the song was released. she needs to engage some professionals in each field instead of dishing out jobs to her friends.
  • Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    where was Gaga's usual group of semi-naked male dancers or attractive male actors?? They were always a highlight).

I must admit I was looking for Jeremy Hudson and Mark Kanemura but spotted neither
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Back up to number 4 on US Itunes
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first part of the video reminds me of Visage's 'Fade to Grey' and then the body colours remind me of the Indian Holi festival. The last part with the blonde locks looks a bit like Botticelli's 'Birth of Venus'. I also like the 'fit' movements which suggest the idea of possession (by the Muses, perhaps). I could take or leave the choreographed 'dance' bits.

Overall the video gives me the feeling of a fashion show or a theatrical performance. It has a nice artistic feel about it. As for the song, it still sounds a bit like a work in progress. Still, I feel Gaga sounds better than a lot of other things around. And she does look gorgeous on this but maybe that's just me.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really like the video! It doesn't focus on scenes long enough though.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I must admit I was looking for Jeremy Hudson and Mark Kanemura but spotted neither

Nope, I didn't see either of them. In fact I recognised none of the dancers. I always really liked the dance sections of the videos too, but in this it just cuts away as soon as they start! 'Alejandro' is my favourite Gaga video, for obvious reasons :D I was watching it again on Youtube earlier and I love it, the song, the video, all of it. 'Bad Romance' is an amazing video though too. This new one is just meh.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's ok, not bad but nothing special. It just shows how far dhe's fallen when you don't expect her work to be anything but pretty average
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not a Gaga fan (if that isn't already obvious!) but i quite liked the vid. Not earth shattering but complimented the song. I think the tuning down of the wacky images is a good move. The dance routine i could've done without though. They're becoming a real cliched part of all Gaga's vids
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's too busy, and sums up the problem she's having right now: if she wanted to truly shock people, she should have done something ultra simple. This video is nothing new.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the images are rather creative, but overall it appears to be a cut and haste job, with no real flow. The worst part is the choreographed dancing. I don't understand why she insists on having badly choreographed dancing in the videos, especially when they are mostly recycled dance steps from her previous work (this looks like a mash up of BTW and Lovegame).
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the song benefited from the video?
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Average song and fair video. BTW as I tend to keep a lot of artists' videos on DVD has anyone managed to download this video to keep as a file? I've tried everything I know but it seems solidly blocked, no way to get the Vevo one, only a poor quality version from somewhere else.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really, as far as I can see.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

UK wise no. USA wise it's climbed to #4 and is closing in on #3.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good for the US. Their chart system is different to ours so there is still some hope for the song yet then.

Although Katy's video hasn't come yet and that is likely to aid Roar's success even more.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'I live for the applause, applause, applause' bit before the chorus has been stuck in my head for days.

I still haven't warmed to the song though. I was wondering if the video would help - but it hasn't.

I still think Bad Romance is her best video.
  • Options
    anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    UK wise no. USA wise it's climbed to #4 and is closing in on #3.

I think it started showing today here? I saw a whole "LADY GAGA'S NEW VIDEO" on one of the music channels earlier so might be a bit early to say!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    It's growing on me, actually. A mess, but a fun mess. Stand by it needing an experienced director, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92jZNBWeFY&feature=player_embedded

Times Square reaction to it being premiered. Couldn't help but smile hearing how much the fans were enjoying it.

It's a shame that the leak compromised an obviously well-planned launch event.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    antero wrote: »
    I think it started showing today here? I saw a whole "LADY GAGA'S NEW VIDEO" on one of the music channels earlier so might be a bit early to say!
    They're still mostly showing the lyric video.
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    For me the dance sections mean something.

I feel like the group ones are Gaga now, performing to a crowd, with her theatrics and support. Whereas when she is dancing solo (with dark hair) it is the Gaga of before, who sang in bars and performed for small intimate crowds. Either way, she loves the Applause.
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The viewing figures are released today and apparently it's impressive, fingers crossed it's beaten a record!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Breakdown of the video here. Quite an interesting read, perhaps not such a random video as first thought.
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amyy. wrote: »
    Breakdown of the video here. Quite an interesting read, perhaps not such a random video as first thought.

That's quite interesting actually, thanks for posting.

I knew that the bed scenes clearly were something to do with 'Alejandro', and also that the brunette dancy gaga was referencing the 19/20 year old Gaga.

I also thought there was some reference to 'The Little Mermaid' too (especially after last night) but the link confirms that :)