Options

The Open Championship

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC will never get it right for everyone.

I dip in and out of this over the first few days until the last day when I'll watch for most of the afternoon.
    Personally, I wasn't the slightest bit interested in Jonathan Edwards "contribution," or clips of rugby, however short. I'm not even interested in the "How did you feel?" interviews after a competitor has completed a round.
    I'd rather they just showed the golf.
    Of course the BBC will include lots of "non golf" diversions, in the hopes they will retain the viewers who are only slightly interested.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speith -5 through 7 fine start for him.

Still don't see him winning this
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    ATNotts wrote: »
    I understand what you mean, but in that vein, it's a shame that the only red button coverage is the leader board. I know that the BBC is strapped for cash (although it seams to be happy to spend yet more on "talent" and has hardly cut it's management numbers!) but it would have been good if there could have been parallel coverage on the red button showing a broader cross section of players.

There's a continuous coverage option which cuts out the crap from Walker, Prasad etc. It's still mainly Spieth, Johnson, Woods, but does show a few more players.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Jason Duffner having to go around with Miguel and John Daly. An experience for him
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Jason Duffner having to go around with Miguel and John Daly. An experience for him

Poor?:o

I could think of nothing better than 4 hours with Miguel. Such a cool man!!
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and now over to John Murray easting a banana (5live!)
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor?:o

I could think of nothing better than 4 hours with Miguel. Such a cool man!!

He is, the guy is 'the Don'. Him and Daly will be puffing their way around the course for sure.
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Tiger dropped to +5 (EEK) There goes his he can win the open prediction
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Consistent round from Woods - consistently awful. Hard to see him making the cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    Consistent round from Woods - consistently awful. Hard to see him making the cut.

And this is before the predicted bad weather tomorrow too. Wonder what his final total will be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    And this is before the predicted bad weather tomorrow too. Wonder what his final total will be

I will go for around +12
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Crowds look poor so far but at 85quid a head not surprised. Thought about going but cannot justify those prices.

Still think it's unfair under 16s get free and everyone else has to pay so much

I think tickets are £80 or £70 if bought in advance.

It's not too bad if you are a parent with a couple of kids, your ticket includes free lessons on a one to one basis, entry to the golf museum and you can easily spend a while in the HSBC golf zone. I was in there for a while yesterday trying different clubs and doing all the various challenges. There is an awful lot for kids to go and that's before they even see any golf.

Unfortunately St Andrews is not a great course for viewing, the layout doesn't allow for it and it's hard to get close to the action. If you are just an adult on your own with the sole attention of watching golf then it's not good value.

I heard quite a few people yesterday who like me just attend a practice day and watch the tournament at home. I'll be doing the same again next year even though it's being held just a few minutes from my house. :)
  • Options
    ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC weather forecaster this morning suggested that the early starters would have the best of the weather today, and the late starters tomorrow - which if he was right, should ensure that the winner on Sunday will come from one of this morning's leaders.

If it does work out like that it will be a shame, as it won't have been a fair test - but then then that's just one of those things - nothing you can do about the weather!

I'm afraid I can't see beyond Jordan Spieth; but that will be the kiss of death for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think tickets are £80 or £70 if bought in advance.

It's not too bad if you are a parent with a couple of kids, your ticket includes free lessons on a one to one basis, entry to the golf museum and you can easily spend a while in the HSBC golf zone. I was in there for a while yesterday trying different clubs and doing all the various challenges. There is an awful lot for kids to go and that's before they even see any golf.

Unfortunately St Andrews is not a great course for viewing, the layout doesn't allow for it and it's hard to get close to the action. If you are just an adult on your own with the sole attention of watching golf then it's not good value.

I heard quite a few people yesterday who like me just attend a practice day and watch the tournament at home. I'll be doing the same again next year even though it's being held just a few minutes from my house. :)

Yes colleague from work just attended the practise day yesterday and that's it, agree it's terrible for viewing St. Andrews
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speith -5 through 7 fine start for him.

Still don't see him winning this

You'd be a brave man to bet against him though. He just doesn't seem to make many mistakes. Much more steady and consistent, if a little unspectacular than McIlroy who spends much of his time going through hot and cold streaks.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,038
    Forum Member
    Looked like a good day for scoring so makes Woods round even worse.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Old Course always seems to serve up the glut of very low scores we see on no other majors course.

How many 63's to 66's do we see anywhere else in majors weeks?
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha at the Jon Daly interview when talking about the pinger golfers "they work out, I put out":D
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    The Old Course always seems to serve up the glut of very low scores we see on no other majors course.

How many 63's to 66's do we see anywhere else in majors weeks?

main reason being the old course's main defence against low scores is the wind and on days when the wind doesn't blow it isn't really long enough to challenge today's players

most of the fairway bunkers are not in play now as the distance these players can hit the ball take them out of what used to be normal driving distance

not sure if its still the case as i think there have been a few changes since i played seriously but the old course isn't even the toughest of the st andrews courses , the new course used to be recognised as a harder course but obviously the old course has the tradition behind it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am really not that keen on St. Andrews as an open venue , I realise that it's part of the rota because of the history.

However it should only get its turn every 8 years or so like the rest of them not every 5

The problem it's needs poor weather to make it a challenge however it's looks November in poor weather.

Although if it was warm and dry you would be looking at -20 as a winning score
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am really not that keen on St. Andrews as an open venue , I realise that it's part of the rota because of the history.

However it should only get its turn every 8 years or so like the rest of them not every 5

The problem it's needs poor weather to make it a challenge however it's looks November in poor weather.

Although if it was warm and dry you would be looking at -20 as a winning score

from a purely golfing point of view i always found the new course a better course to play , even the old eden course was more fun, the old course has that history tho which is what it depends on

the problem it has today is the weather hasn't been hot enough and dry enough to dry out the greens and fairways giving the unpredictable bounces and problems stopping the ball on the green so combine that with a calm day and its vulnerable
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think anyone failing to break 70 today will be disappointed, especially the players who have later tee times tomorrow.

The Open when held at St. Andrews is by far my least favourite major, just hope it's very close at the weekend and there isn't someone running away with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do know that Sky when they take over probably have to abide by R&A Rules on where the open is held but is there any sort of way they could possibly influence where it's played and the 5 year old course rule might go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    I do know that Sky when they take over probably have to abide by R&A Rules on where the open is held but is there any sort of way they could possibly influence where it's played and the 5 year old course rule might go?

would be very surprised if they had any say in the course rota
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been no draw bias thus far - wind maybe got up to 15/20 mph gusts. Not sure what sort of thinking the R&A have gone for - course is quite soft and rough is pretty whispy so looks like they are simply hoping for some bad weather.

Even the amateurs are tearing it apart today ... if the bad weather does turn one of them might actually figure.

Hilarious to watch these golfers tucked up like it is the middle of winter when in reality it is quite simply a nice Scottish summer day.