Food poisoning - how long does it take for symptoms to develop?

2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm just getting over what could only have been a bout of food poisoning (vomiting, stomach cramps etc) and am trying to pin down what caused it.

Anyone know how long after consumption of the dodgy item does it take for symptoms to develop?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    it depends on how poorly the food was cooked. the body will detect serious germs quite quickly and will try and expell them as fast as possible. have you eaten a dodgy kebab or anything?? if its chicken or eggs that would be quite soon after .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can be really quick (i was ill within an hour of eating a dodgy pizza) but have heard up to 24 hours is possible. Don't know if it's true, though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I had food poisoning this time last year..

I ate something in the evening, prob about 6ish and then by 9 I was in the bathroom with a very poorly stomach.. The stomach ache was not your normal stomach cramps and by the time I had cleared my stomach and had nothing inside me I started to see blood..

By this time it was about 3ish.. Not wanting to worry ppl or wake my parents I rang them at 6 and asked them to take me to hospital. I live on my own so noone was with me..

I ended up on a 2 different drips..

The item of food i ate was made of egg... As it was the only thing I ate that day which would have made me ill..
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Usually up to 24 hours. However there is the Norovirus still going around. Called the winter vomiting bug, it has been particularly prevalent this year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BooBoo_kw wrote: »

I ate something in the evening, prob about 6ish and then by 9 I was in the bathroom with a very poorly stomach.. The stomach ache was not your normal stomach cramps and by the time I had cleared my stomach and had nothing inside me I started to see blood..

By this time it was about 3ish.. Not wanting to worry ppl or wake my parents I rang them at 6 and asked them to take me to hospital. I live on my own so noone was with me..

The item of food i ate was made of egg... As it was the only thing I ate that day which would have made me ill..

I also got sick from a restaurant, eating a sort of raw egg dish, im sure thats what it was.Ate it at about 5 and was nauseaous that night and really sick by the next morning but better the day after, didnt go to hospital but it was really horrid, and im really careful about raw eggs now.I made some icecream with raw eggs in it recently to see what it tasted like but i couldnt bring myself to eat it in the end.
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moanie wrote: »
    it depends on how poorly the food was cooked. the body will detect serious germs quite quickly and will try and expell them as fast as possible. have you eaten a dodgy kebab or anything?? if its chicken or eggs that would be quite soon after .

Not kebab no, haven't eaten any form of takeaway food for about a month. However, I did have poached duck egg for lunch, and roast chicken for tea, and felt ill about an hour after the chicken.
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BooBoo_kw wrote: »

Wow, I got off quite lightly then! :eek:
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Norovirus is normally about 36-48 hours and food poisoning can be anything between an hour or 2 to about 2-3 days.

If you had really bad vomiting which came on suddenly it's probably nv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    Wow, I got off quite lightly then! :eek:

Yeah it was kinda worrying as didn't know if it was just a really bad tummy ache. But after going to hospital and them confirming it I was glad they were there to put the drip in my hand to put all the fluids and pain killers in me. Otherwise would have taken me a while to dehydrate again and helped me get better sooner rather than later.

It resulted in my brother buying me a cook book.. :eek: The cheek of it!
  • Emerald InnsEmerald Inns Posts: 4,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jigsawjake wrote: »
    I made some icecream with raw eggs in it recently to see what it tasted like but i couldnt bring myself to eat it in the end.

Was that the batch you made with or without the egg yolks??
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    Depends on the type of food poisoning.

I've had food poisoning several times and it ain't nice.

First time was bean sprouts in a Chicken Stir fry - a day or two later the products were being recalled due to a processing problem with the bean sprouts causing the outbreak. I was in hospital for a couple of days with that.

Had food poisoning from chicken a couple of times, one the buffet during a wedding, the other from a BBQ.

Had food poisoning from pork when I had Peppered Pork in Ibiza, I was pretty ill for a couple of days and a few days still recovering.

I have food poisoning twice at Burger King at two different places - I just don't have anything from Burger King now, can't trust them and after seeing programmes on how bad their hygiene is it's not surprising I got food poisoning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most common type of food poisoning is caused by the Campylobacter bacteria, and that can take more than a week to get going, so looking for causes during the last few hours is often a red herring.
  • Laurajayne7981Laurajayne7981 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henders wrote: »
    It can be really quick (i was ill within an hour of eating a dodgy pizza) but have heard up to 24 hours is possible. Don't know if it's true, though!

Yeah thats true, i had it last year. It took about 16 hours to work on me and my doc told me it can take anything up to 24 hours.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 136,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just getting over what could only have been a bout of food poisoning (vomiting, stomach cramps etc) and am trying to pin down what caused it.

Anyone know how long after consumption of the dodgy item does it take for symptoms to develop?

I find it is quite rapid, within 30 minutes or sometimes I do not feel comfortable after a meal and it goes on for a few hours, then I start coughing which leads to sickness, it is usually when I have had some ready meal.

Staff Christmas dinner was a greasy disaster, salmon did not taste right, (avoid pub called Boot and Slipper in my area) only one of 3 toilet cubicles was working, I nearly had to use the sink to throw up, the person ahead of me took so long. :eek:

Sorry if TMI. :o
  • mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazey wrote: »
    (avoid pub called Boot and Slipper in my area)
    Hi, do you mean the one in Cheshire just south of Winsford?
  • mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started getting tummy cramps about 11 o'clock last night. I crawled into my bed at midnight to see if I could fall asleep and let it pass but I was up again 10 minutes later and was violently sick :(

I still feel groggy but there's been no more vomitting.

I'm wondering what it is though because my OH and I always eat the same things and he's ok!
  • adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a completely unscientific old-wives-tale sort of theory, but it seems to be roughly true...

12 hours up (ie vomiting), 24 hours down (diahorrea)

ADC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had food poisoning when i was on holiday i had shepard pie oooh it was lovely and about a hour later i was getting really bad cramps and had to literally run back to the hotel, i wasnt sick but was on the toilet for ages, my dad was bad too but i was fine after about four hours the next day they were disinfecting the resturant wearing white suites so im guessing its that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    If I have eaten anything dodgy, normally within half an hour I've got severe stomach gurgles, cramps and bad wind; not too long after that I have to find a toilet. Not much upsets my stomach though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when I had food poisoning it was about three days before the first sympoms and then just over a week of the trots.

I had Campylobacta.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It takes about 4 hours before you start feeling off and queasy, but approximately 12 hours (no longer than 24 hours) to full blown exploding at both ends and feeling like you're going to die.

That's Salmonella poisoning.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I had this (or what I think was food poisoning) I had a fish from a chippy at around 6pm.. woke up at 1am with that "I've woken up for a reason and it ain't good!!" feeling and began to throw up every 30 minutes on the dot for around 12 hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that the batch you made with or without the egg yolks??

with the egg yolks, exactly as the recipe said, but in the end i was dubious.Probably overcautious.

There are some other recipes where the egg yolks are heated first - i shall try those.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    When I had this (or what I think was food poisoning) I had a fish from a chippy at around 6pm.. woke up at 1am with that "I've woken up for a reason and it ain't good!!" feeling and began to throw up every 30 minutes on the dot for around 12 hours.

that sounds more like norovirus.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had food poisoning after a curry once, two of us had the same, and got really bad stomach cramps driving home. Luckily I was sick so much have got rid of a lot of it but my whole system was raw for days.

Went to an engagement party and was ill too - very embarrassing for the people who arranged it because most of the guests came down with it over the space of a few days (I was ill the same night). Work colleague also so the office was deserted. Some hadn't even eaten so put down to dirty glasses in the hall. I've also heard that salad in a prime cause when it's not been washed.