I felt sorry for Liz

iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
Forum Member
Now I'm not saying that I think Liz is exactly the best of people, I disagree with things she's done. But during the confrontation about journalism I felt quite sorry for her. It looked as if some of the other housemates had pinpointed her in a bad light just because she's a journalist. But I understood what she was saying about the controversial writing. Obviously she's only going to write about things she believes in and things that can sell, so she doesn't really have a choice other than to write controversially. Jim and Lionel and stuff were acting as if she goes out of her way to hurt others.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Agreed. As if Jim Davidson has the right to judge anyone.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I didn't feel sorry for her. I don't like her at all. She was simply being questioned about what she does - and she writes some quite bitter nasty stuff. Why would they pretend anything else?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two points on this:

1. I don't think she's a good representative of journalism. What she (and Sam Brick) do isn't the kind of journalism I have a huge amount of respect for. We'd be fairly shagged as a society if we didn't have journalism to hold those with money, power and influence to account. But there are different shades - and hers isn't a soothing one.

2. Journalists shouldn't be considered celebrities in this context. I know some of them obviously are (TV current affairs journalists etc.) but I think it's like taking the 'hurlers on the ditch' and putting them on the pitch and expecting them to play the match. I hope that translates for UK viewers. :blush:
  • lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    schemedug wrote: »
    Agreed. As if Jim Davidson has the right to judge anyone.

Davidson has had bad press at the hands of journalists ,of course Liz is gonna be quizzed a bit
  • EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup and then there's her lifetime of disappointment.
    She's a bag of self pity and society's to blame.

I think she is old enough to take some sort of responsibility for her personal happiness.
  • sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think Liz is coming across more accurate in her analysis of the HMs than the resident Psych they had on BOTS ---perhaps she should replace her after this show !- She'sbearing her soul about all her bad luck in life too - not sure if it's for sympathy votes though - but want her to stay in as I think she's a great character in the house.
    I didn't feel sorry for her, she's not daft, she knows journos are not popular, not with Jim and Lionel that's for sure, but as they get to know her, perhaps they will warm to her... 'a bit' !
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't feel sorry for her. I don't like her at all. She was simply being questioned about what she does - and she writes some quite bitter nasty stuff. Why would they pretend anything else?

I agree with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    lightblues wrote: »
    Davidson has had bad press at the hands of journalists ,of course Liz is gonna be quizzed a bit

He's had bad journalism in response to his terrible behaviour/opinions/attitude...
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shes all me me me me me me me me with the occasional bitch about some random person. Not my idea of a journalist.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    It didn't feel like 'questioning' though, more like they were trying to call her out because they have a dislike to journalists. Having said that, admittedly, I haven't read any of Liz's articles. I've just heard a bit about her. If she does go out of her way to dig at people in her articles then I'd say Jim and Lionel's comments were fair enough. But judging from what Liz said, it seems as if she writes about things she has a strong view on and knows will sell which is fair enough.

If she does write articles having random pops at celebrities then can anyone give some examples of these?
  • lightblueslightblues Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    schemedug wrote: »
    He's had bad journalism in response to his terrible behaviour/opinions/attitude...

And false allegations;-)
  • Sarah SoreenSarah Soreen Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    It didn't feel like 'questioning' though, more like they were trying to call her out because they have a dislike to journalists. Having said that, admittedly, I haven't read any of Liz's articles. I've just heard a bit about her. If she does go out of her way to dig at people in her articles then I'd say Jim and Lionel's comments were fair enough. But judging from what Liz said, it seems as if she writes about things she has a strong view on and knows will sell which is fair enough.

If she does write articles having random pops at celebrities then can anyone give some examples of these?

The list is long and they are all there in their glory on the DM website. Rhianna, Clare Balding, Holly Willouby to name a handful. Then there is the dreadful Jo Yeates article, her rants at single mothers, meat eaters, shop assistants, bus drivers, tradesmen, etc. Then we have her current 'squeeze' whose ex she keeps dragging into her diary to have a pop at for no reason other than she is his ex.

Plenty there to start with if you want to search the Mail Online. Or, if you head down to the Showbiz forum, you'll find a thread on her which is years old, still running and current, where all these will appear chronologically :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a bit pin the tail on the donkey - typical big brother always has lynch mobs with victim of choice. Soon as that victim leaves there will be another 1 lined up.
  • miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member

Yes - they made valid points.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a bit pin the tail on the donkey - typical big brother always has lynch mobs with victim of choice. Soon as that victim leaves there will be another 1 lined up.

That's what I thought - she's the perfect choice for the rest to pack against, even though some of them have probably enjoyed reading 'the dirt' on other people or even been party to getting nonsense about themselves in the rags.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    They went for her because she's the natural villain. Lionel shared in the diary room that he hates drugs and didn't Jim say something similar? They could have applauded Liz for highlighting Rhianna's irresponsible drug promotion, but they wouldn't dare insult a fellow (popular) celebrity!
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Levii wrote: »
    They went for her because she's the natural villain. Lionel shared in the diary room that he hates drugs and didn't Jim say something similar? They could have applauded Liz for highlighting Rhianna's irresponsible drug promotion, but they wouldn't dare insult a fellow (popular) celebrity!

Hating drugs is one thing. Being openly vocal about an individual is another. Her 'journalism' is very personal, critical and often hurtful to individuals.
  • Sarah SoreenSarah Soreen Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Hating drugs is one thing. Being openly vocal about an individual is another. Her 'journalism' is very personal, critical and often hurtful to individuals.

Hates drugs? Well there is this tale about a Halloween party, and a missing Mumsnet thread........ :cool:

(all down in Showbiz)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But surely as a columnist that's her job - have a "controversial" opinion to sell newspapers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member

I don't remember any of them saying anything negative about any of the negative things the others had done. Also, if Lionel couldn't help throwing an insult her way, it would have been nice if he'd evened it out a little with a simple "but I do think it was good that you highlighted the impact celebrities are having on drug culture amongst young people".
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    But surely as a columnist that's her job - have a "controversial" opinion to sell newspapers

She's not just controversial - she's downright nasty. Take her spat with Holly Willoughby and her "oh but I said she was a goddess" in tonight's programme. She fails to mention that when she wrote an article about a previous appearance when she was spouting that women only have babies to get a year off work she said that she wasn't sure whether or not Holly was either pregnant or had just given birth (neither was the case - she was just being bitchy).
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Liz Jones does have the choice not to write things that hurt other people, which she does on a regular basis - her own family among others. Sarah Soreen has quoted Jo Yeates about whom Jones wrote particularly offensively. Jones's veganism and love of animals are flexible according to her whims, it seems. She eats eggs, drinks milk and wears leather. She keeps her animals alive when they are clearly suffering. She alienates many, many people and freely admits she has no friends because of this. There isn't much to like or feel sympathy for really.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member

And I bet her poor maligned family (especially sister Sue) are cheering at the television screen!
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    The list is long and they are all there in their glory on the DM website. Rhianna, Clare Balding, Holly Willouby to name a handful. Then there is the dreadful Jo Yeates article, her rants at single mothers, meat eaters, shop assistants, bus drivers, tradesmen, etc. Then we have her current 'squeeze' whose ex she keeps dragging into her diary to have a pop at for no reason other than she is his ex.

Plenty there to start with if you want to search the Mail Online. Or, if you head down to the Showbiz forum, you'll find a thread on her which is years old, still running and current, where all these will appear chronologically :)
    Ah, thanks :o
  • Freckles101Freckles101 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    DO NOT feel sorry for Liz Jones. She has written the most vile, narcissistic ,and contradictory (i.e. she frequently lies) articles, pimps her family out for her articles, including appalling photos of her mother who has advanced dementia. She excels at "poor me" comments.
    Liz Jones is a poor actress and a failed journalist, who has run out of lines. She frequently admits to doing anything to have a newspaper column, including getting married so she "could write a column" about it.
    Read her appalling DM articles before you waste your energy feeling sorry for her.
    And as for her "deafness" it is very selective. She says she won't wear a hearing aid but can hear sharp intakes of breathe on her mobile phone. And in the CBB diary room Either it's a medical miracle or as is more likely, she is lying. Again.