Options

Great Continental Railway Journeys series three 2014

124»

Comments

• Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I agree, whenever he tries out any food or drink he always says it's delicious.:D

He didn't like the pretzel either! :D
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    This forum is dying on its @rse. I can't believe no-one has posted about this show in almost a week given it was on again last night.
    Every time I check on threads there hardly seems to be any postings or movement in most forums.
    Anyway another fabulous show last night - Spain and Portugal looked absolutely beautiful and Michael was in fantastic form with the octopus washers and the dancers in national costume. :D
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched

It was good but not as good as russia or Italy. I just enjoy him travelling by train. The way he sits back and relaxes

Jerusalem next week
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this has been his best series so far despite surely starting to run out of rail lines! Portillo strikes just the right balance between history, larking about and due reverence.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I think this has been his best series so far despite surely starting to run out of rail lines! Portillo strikes just the right balance between history, larking about and due reverence.

The best series yet

He's not gonna run out of railway lines as he will go into them like he does in the British version.

I think he got a kick with the dome of the rock..
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Seeing Krakow made me want to return there. Then I looked up temperature records for January and February : average max 2 degrees, average min -14 degrees. I'll leave it for a few months. :)

I'd love to visit Krakow, to name just once place in Poland. Poland has some of the best medieval and Renaissance towns and cities north of the Alps, despite the damage inflicted on parts of the country during World War Two. They far exceed in size, splendour and preservation anything we have in the UK.

Toruń is just one example, a World Heritage Site since 1997:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toru%C5%84

Krakow is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site as is the reconstructed Old Town in Warsaw and the city of Zamosc.

Gdansk, formerly Danzig, is another place I'd like to see: it's breathtaking city centre was almost totally rebuilt from rubble after WW2 and today it's one of the most lovely in Europe:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/2012-08-30_pano_gdansk_sm2.jpg/950px-2012-08-30_pano_gdansk_sm2.jpg
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    The best series yet

He's not gonna run out of railway lines as he will go into them like he does in the British version.

I think he got a kick with the dome of the rock..

100% agreed. Really enjoyed the holy land trip last night.

Last one of the series next week visits France.

Won't run out of rail lines outside the UK.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all of Portillo's train journey programmes - they cheer me up on dark winter evenings. I've enjoyed this series too.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thoroughly enjoyable programme. It was nice to see Israel and Palestine differently to what we see on the news with them hurling rockets at each other. Its just a pity it cant all be resolved. I liked the fact that Michael spoke just enough about the conflict without it spoiling the enjoyment of the programme. This one and Poland have been my two favourites up to now.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone had told me 10 years ago that Michael Portillo would become an immensely likeable, funny and able presenter I'd have said you were off your rocker.

But that's what he has become, and for me he's as good as you'll find on TV today.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    Another thoroughly enjoyable programme. It was nice to see Israel and Palestine differently to what we see on the news with them hurling rockets at each other.

Yep I'm tempted to go visit Tel Aviv and Jerusalem after watching. I'm not religious but he sold it all to me.
    If someone had told me 10 years ago that Michael Portillo would become an immensely likeable, funny and able presenter I'd have said you were off your rocker.

Indeed. He's brilliant. For me the biggest drawn to him is how genuine he comes across. Never once have I felt he was just going through the motions or reading a script he didn't believe in. It's the most relaxing TV show also.

My view of him changed when he did a documentary staying with a family who were on benefits or low wages.. one of the two. Best PM we never had? Possibly.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My view of him changed when he did a documentary staying with a family who were on benefits or low wages.. one of the two. Best PM we never had? Possibly.

Quite, although I seem to remember much glee when he was voted out in '97 and I don't remember having too many pangs of sympathy myself!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...My view of him changed when he did a documentary staying with a family who were on benefits or low wages.. one of the two. Best PM we never had? Possibly.

New improved thoughtful & considered Portillo maybe, but the old Portillo - no thanks!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    New improved thoughtful & considered Portillo maybe, but the old Portillo - no thanks!

Agreed. I remember watching an awful, rabble-rousing speech he gave at the Tory party conference one year in which he gibbered on about Nelson and Wellington and good versus evil. Oh it was so embarrassing.

He was out two years later though! And how we all laughed and laughed when the result came in!

:D
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby and I love this programme. MP is just the right presenter and it is such a relaxing programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. I remember watching an awful, rabble-rousing speech he gave at the Tory party conference one year in which he gibbered on about Nelson and Wellington and good versus evil. Oh it was so embarrassing.

He was out two years later though! And how we all laughed and laughed when the result came in!

:D

He takes it in good humour though on "This Week" when Andrew Neil ribs him about installing loads of telephone lines in his office when he planned, and then bottled, the Tory leadership bid.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I doubt he's a new Portillo underneath. He reverted to type a couple of years ago on a late night programme where a small handful of politicians, journalists and social commentators discussed Scotland's future over dinner and a few carafes of plonk. As the evening/discussion wore on his true self came more and more to the fore, spitting his Thatcherite venom against the Scots with his usual disdain. It's hard to believe his mother was Scottish. He certainly never portrays that side of his heritage as much as he does his Spanish father.

However, the 'new' Portillo does do a superb job on his railway journeys. He comes over well and I look forward to each edition, it being one of the few programmes I have on series link. The continental trips are must sees and it's good to see more of other countries like this.

The only aspect that is grating more and more is when...Portillo is speaking...normally when on...a train...and he...tends to speak...to you...in very short...passages...quite slowly. I presume he's been told to perform the script like this but it does come over as if he's speaking down to a seven year old at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only aspect that is grating more and more is when...Portillo is speaking...normally when on...a train...and he...tends to speak...to you...in very short...passages...quite slowly. I presume he's been told to perform the script like this but it does come over as if he's speaking down to a seven year old at times.

I wonder if thats for foreign language sales - I'd imagine it'd sell pretty well abroad. He could overdub in Spanish and possibly some other European languages himself too.