Options

Tess was actually quite good tonight

Comments

• Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    The way she spots that the audience is on its feet - brilliant stuff.
    Stuff of legends indeed
  • Options
    Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she is good every week and that she gets a lot of unfair criticism.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cellomad wrote: »
    I don't think "thick as a brick" could complete a degree at Cambridge University:confused:

Me thinks her humour flies over some people's heads perhaps :p

I think you have the wrong Tess Daly. The SCD one never went to Cambridge. She was a model and recruited as arm candy for Bruce Forsyth.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olls~ wrote: »
    I like Tess :) Don't really understand why she gets a hard time.

Snap.:)
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have the wrong Tess Daly. The SCD one never went to Cambridge. She was a model and recruited as arm candy for Bruce Forsyth.

Indeed. Blonde model will have been a requirement for Brucie show. I suppose given what was going on in BBC during his prime time his requirement to have a model as arm candy was pretty tame!!
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Tess looked the best I've ever seen her this week.
    Great show and I liked her taking the mick out of Darcey and her reaction to Jake.
  • Options
    Joseph_WheatleyJoseph_Wheatley Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    I thought she was getting better but then Zoe stepped in for Claudia and she started trying to ad-lib more, which rarely amounts to anything more than loudly repeating what someone has just said. Maybe she thinks her job is on the line now that the producers know they have a more capable host with Zoe. Zoe and Claudia is definitely the way forward imo.

And this is EXACTLY WHY the BBC have a production team who know what they are doing!!! So sick of everyone saying it should be Zoe and Claudia - that would be terrrible!!! Both are great presenters but they are too similar, for a duo you need variation - most double acts have the straight guy (tess) and the funny one (claudia), Claudia and Zoe are the same person Kooky and funny, you need someone like Tess to hold the show together more, sorry but it's true! Tess and Claudia have the best chemistry too, I am telling you now, Tess may not be the best presenter in the world, but Zoe and Claudia would be a disaster! Tess and Claudia is the absolute right presenting team!!
  • Options
    martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tess and Claudia form a very good combination.

Last week it was obvious that Zoe has a bigger personality than Tess. Having a presenter with a big stage presence means that the show tends to become centered about them. It becomes the Bruce Forsythe/Zoe Ball show, with dancing. Tess allows the dancers to be the foremost element in the show.

The show is ideal just as it is. It ain't broke. Don't fix it.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want Tess to go. I like her. But this week in particular she irritated me with her daft comments. There was even a point when she wasn't in shot and she was still wittering on.
  • Options
    CranfieldCranfield Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Cellomad wrote: »
    I don't think "thick as a brick" could complete a degree at Cambridge University:confused:

Me thinks her humour flies over some people's heads perhaps :p

Claudia has a MA Hons from Cambridge, I doubt Tess passed her 11plus.

Her "humour" comes from a prompt board, or the tape running in her head that repeats, "there all standing up", " well we liked it, didn't we ?" and other banal comments.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Cranfield wrote: »

Her "humour" comes from a prompt board, or the tape running in her head that repeats, "there all standing up", " well we liked it, didn't we ?" and other banal comments.
    She actually has 9 'O' levels, has been a model, has written and had published two novels, has had various successful presenting and interviewing jobs as well as appearing on a few panel shows. Far more than just being a blond on the previous presenter's arm.

And as for her comments, you put up with a lot worse from the previous presenter for 10 series.

She's doing what she's supposed to do - introduce the couples and link with the judges and Claudia. I think she's doing a great job and wouldn't want to go back to the days when the presenter thought it was HIS show.
  • Options
    ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Tess thought about having Graham Norton on the front row in the audience? Did he get an interview?? (sorry - I haven't watched the show but read about GN on the episode thread)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you think Tess is thick and Claudia should keep her emotions to herself. Obviously you don't approve of the BBC's decision to have them as presenters. Surely you wouldn't want to go back to having the ego that was the previous presenter with his sexist groping of Tess at the start, his shuffle that he thought was dancing, his pronouncements contradicting those who were employed to judge as he thought, as a tap dancer, he was better qualified than them to judge ballroom and Latin, his temper when things didn't go as he thought they should? Or perhaps you do.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's so annoying when she comments on the judges marks.

I agree. And she seemd to butt in a lot this week too. I found her more annoying this week than normal.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They slipped up giving her the main role. They should have had a clean sweep when Bruce left. At times she's just about bearable - and then she spoils it by saying something.
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. And she seemd to butt in a lot this week too. I found her more annoying this week than normal.
    I agree
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tess' attempts at humour are just hideous. At least Bruce knew everyone was cringing, Tess seems to think shes actually funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Tess' attempts at humour are just hideous. At least Bruce knew everyone was cringing, Tess seems to think shes actually funny.
    No, He thought he was funny. He said he tried his "jokes" out on his wife and the only time they rowed was when he had to explain it to her. He still used them though, because he still thought they were funny.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And this is EXACTLY WHY the BBC have a production team who know what they are doing!!! So sick of everyone saying it should be Zoe and Claudia - that would be terrrible!!! Both are great presenters but they are too similar, for a duo you need variation - most double acts have the straight guy (tess) and the funny one (claudia), Claudia and Zoe are the same person Kooky and funny, you need someone like Tess to hold the show together more, sorry but it's true! Tess and Claudia have the best chemistry too, I am telling you now, Tess may not be the best presenter in the world, but Zoe and Claudia would be a disaster! Tess and Claudia is the absolute right presenting team!!

Then let her play the 'straight' role! They did that when Bruce took a break and she was fine. This year they seem to be needlessly adding comedy moments into her introductions which come across as stilted because of it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cranfield wrote: »

MA (Hons) in 'History of Art' - posher version of a 'Media Studies' degree?

I seem to remember that an Oxbridge Masters degree does not signify any extra examinations and can be a formality after a few years.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Tess delivers her script. Mercifully the lame jokes are becoming fewer and further between.

I like her and the way she presents the show. I don't want to see anyone replace her. She's doing a good job. It isn't the Tess Show in the way it was the Brucie Show and that's a huge improvement right there.

You put some comedian in there (from Norton to Manford to *ahem* Anton to Armstrong and Miller) and they'll dominate the proceedings. We've been there and got the T-shirt. Tess does an excellent job. Leave her alone.
  • Options
    CheshirecheeseCheshirecheese Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind Tess but come on girl ... CHANGE THE RECORD!!!

'Look, they're on their feet for you!'
    'They're on their feet!'
    'And yet again they're standing up!'
    'Look around my darling, they're standing for you!

etc etc etc.

maybe say it once or twice but EVERY BLO*DY TIME?!? Tess, they can see and we can see ... so STOP SAYING IT!!

I agree, she is infuriating. I have had to resort to the mute button especially now she seems to think she is an expert on dancing. It was so much better with Zoe, wish it was her and Claudia all the time.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »

Why is she saying 'They're all on their feet' the way Bruce did when the audience stand up? >:(>:(>:(

And commenting on the dances before the judges do. Stop it Tess.

Absolutely correct!

She seems to have gained confidence as a solo presenter but she really does have to drop the stupid stuff that the old ffool started.

Neither we, the studio audience nor the dancers need to be told if the audience is on their feet. We can all see it and we all know that it is almost always an orchestrated event.

She is not qualified nor is it proper for her to comment on the dances - that is the Judges job; but at least she lets them make their comments without the inane and puerile interventions of the old ffool.

Stick to presenting, avoid making statements of the obvious and let the Judges do their job. As another poster commented, if you don't know she's there then she is doing a great job - that is how presenters should behave. We had years of an inflated ego trying to run the show and generally Tess has been a welcome breath of fresh air - just so long as she stops trying to emulate the idiocy of nth old ffool.

One very positive point though. She brings the show in on time, every time! No wasted nonsense such as the old ffool was so fond of making.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    ...Surely you wouldn't want to go back to having the ego that was the previous presenter with his sexist groping of Tess at the start, his shuffle that he thought was dancing, his pronouncements contradicting those who were employed to judge as he thought, as a tap dancer, he was better qualified than them to judge ballroom and Latin, his temper when things didn't go as he thought they should? Or perhaps you do.

Thank you for what must be the definitive statement regarding the antics and performances of the old ffool.

Those who wish for the 'old days' should copy your comments and post them in a prominent place.

Tess does a much better presenting job that the old ffool ever did; just as long as she avoids trying to emulate his stupid interventions and comments she will be the one that holds the show together.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One very positive point though. She brings the show in on time, every time! No wasted nonsense such as the old ffool was so fond of making.
    Yeah, she makes the producer's life easier. Obviously the producer cannot tell the difference between lame CBeebies humour and real wit, and it's not the fault of Tess that she makes her read that stuff out loud.
    And don't doubt for a moment it isn't the producer that insists on floor managers commanding standing ovations and Tess commenting on standing ovations. It's another lame psychological trick of hyperbole attempted on the audience worthy of a Mao Tse Tung / Stalin regime.