Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    He's a very good player, but is he, was he? Ever at the Scholes level? I perhaps expected to much from him, but since that first final he's never been a player who for me anyway, one of the first names on the team sheet. He'll do a good job for us, as he's recently done, but he's not ever going to be the star of the show.

Since that final he's never been a player that was one of the first names on the team sheet? Strange considering since that final Carrick carried our entire midfield for large periods. Actually excited to have him back now that we've brought in the likes of Herrera and Blind. It'll lighten his work load a hell of a lot and hopefully have him performing at his best again after a rough season under Moyes and his recent injury. Looked brilliant since his return.

Still seems crazy that this guy didn't become a regular for England when we were crying out for a guy like him in the side.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Since that final he's never been a player that was one of the first names on the team sheet? Strange considering since that final Carrick carried our entire midfield for large periods. Actually excited to have him back now that we've brought in the likes of Herrera and Blind. It'll lighten his work load a hell of a lot and hopefully have him performing at his best again after a rough season under Moyes and his recent injury. Looked brilliant since his return.

Completely agree.
    JMTD wrote: »
    Still seems crazy that this guy didn't become a regular for England when we were crying out for a guy like him in the side.

If England couldn't utilise a genius like Scholes, what chance did Carrick have?
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrick would never have been accepted as an England regular because he doesn't charge round like a madman flying into tackles or unleashing shots from 30 yards out, regardless of whether said shots actually get anywhere near the target.

Oh well, their loss was our gain, as with Scholes.
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Wesley Sneijder is supposedly going to City for £9m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jones:

"I started the pre-season and played every single game and every single training session.

"I'd never had a muscle injury in my life and then on international duty, I pulled my hamstring so that was disappointing. And when I was coming back I then had shin splints.

"I didn't go into training and say I wanted to get injured that morning, it is just the way it has been. It has been unfortunate.

"I could stand here and list 10 players who are always out injured."

"I have been doing a lot of work in the gym, strength work on the reformer, yoga and pilates and loads of stuff.

"Hopefully that will stand me in good stead for the rest of the season. Hopefully I can stay fit, and look after myself in games.

"I will do anything I can to improve myself. My aim right now is to stay fit and stay focused, and get a run of games under my belt.”

Good luck to the lad. He's clearly been unlucky, and fair play to him for trying to find solutions. He's obviously desperately frustrated.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, hope the injuries come to an end for him soon, he has been so unlucky with injuries.

Lets keep our fingers crosses that after this, he is back for a long time to come.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Jones:

"I started the pre-season and played every single game and every single training session.

"I'd never had a muscle injury in my life and then on international duty, I pulled my hamstring so that was disappointing. And when I was coming back I then had shin splints.

"I didn't go into training and say I wanted to get injured that morning, it is just the way it has been. It has been unfortunate.

"I could stand here and list 10 players who are always out injured."

"I have been doing a lot of work in the gym, strength work on the reformer, yoga and pilates and loads of stuff.

"Hopefully that will stand me in good stead for the rest of the season. Hopefully I can stay fit, and look after myself in games.

"I will do anything I can to improve myself. My aim right now is to stay fit and stay focused, and get a run of games under my belt.”

Good luck to the lad. He's clearly been unlucky, and fair play to him for trying to find solutions. He's obviously desperately frustrated.

Excuses excuses - sicknote ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Excuses excuses - sicknote ;-)

Meanie :p
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do think that Jones can do really well for us if he can stay fit, at least he is trying different things to find a solution.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Meanie :p

Only kiddin'. I'm not that blinkered or predictable!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories from the papers

The Sun

David De Gea has told team-mates he is staying at Manchester United.

Real Madrid are desperate to take the keeper back to his home city. But De Gea has indicated to United pals he is happy to sign a new deal at Old Trafford.

SunSport revealed last Friday that the club want to make the Spaniard the highest-paid goalkeeper in history with a £36.4 million five-year contract.

De Gea, 24, has just 18 months left on his current deal and the rumours about a potential move to Real refuse to go away.

That is why he has let captain Wayne Rooney and the rest of his team-mates know what he wants to do.

De Gea produced a stunning display to help the Red Devils to a 3-0 win over Liverpool on Sunday.

United legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as the best goalkeeping performance he had seen at Old Trafford.

He will make his 150th United appearance at Villa Park on Saturday and is on course to be regarded alongside Alex Stepney and Peter Schmeichel.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We just need one of them to stay fit for an extended period, a one in three chance should normally be considered decent but knowing these guys they'll all be back in the clinic in a week.

P.S. Apologies for the negativity, good luck to the lad and all that :D
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the collapse of the Rouble we should really be targeting Garay, we may even get him cheaper than what Zenit paid for him.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the collapse of the Rouble we should really be targeting Garay, we may even get him cheaper than what Zenit paid for him.

United don't do cut price deals.

We insist on getting ripped off! ;-)
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    See the scousers are creaming themselves over beating Bournemouth! How times have changed :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    See the scousers are creaming themselves over beating Bournemouth! How times have changed :)

Bournemouth have got bigger fish to fry - unlike Pool they're in with a decent shot of winning their league:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got to the semis of this competition last year. Under Moyes.

Their season, this year, is mirroring ours, last year, brilliantly.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't enjoy wollowing in the poor fortune of other teams.

But I make an exception for the Scousers. :D
  • Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got to the semis of this competition last year. Under Moyes.

Their season, this year, is mirroring ours, last year, brilliantly.

That'll be half a season but you were still in the CL by Xmas last year.

I do feel your current run may have papered over a few cracks.If you're going to compare us to last year then you should really be looking at a 2nd place finish whilst being in with a chance of the title on the last day in May.

You have a few tricky fixtures over Xmas including a few away where your form has hardly been top class.History dictates that whilst Van Gaal teams usually hit good form a few months after he takes over, then his ego eventually clashes with players in the longer future.

We were also top before Xmas last year with no euro football and going out of the league cup in the early rounds.I think you will finish above LFC in the PL table this season but if that's the case then I hope it's you 3rd and us 4th.A long way to go yet though and my club need to get into gear starting at home to Arsenal on Sunday.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    then his ego eventually clashes with players in the longer future.

History dictates that this isn't a problem for our club.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    History dictates that this isn't a problem for our club.

Under one manager who transcended the old era of football to the modern social media climate surrounding the game.If remains to be seen whether Van Gaal and others can control this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll be half a season but you were still in the CL by Xmas last year.

I do feel your current run may have papered over a few cracks.If you're going to compare us to last year then you should really be looking at a 2nd place finish whilst being in with a chance of the title on the last day in May.

You have a few tricky fixtures over Xmas including a few away where your form has hardly been top class.History dictates that whilst Van Gaal teams usually hit good form a few months after he takes over, then his ego eventually clashes with players in the longer future.

We were also top before Xmas last year with no euro football and going out of the league cup in the early rounds.I think you will finish above LFC in the PL table this season but if that's the case then I hope it's you 3rd and us 4th.A long way to go yet though and my club need to get into gear starting at home to Arsenal on Sunday.

I've seen a lot of this sort of thing, of late.

No United fan is taking anything for granted. We've achieved nothing, yet.

That said, we've played relatively poorly, with a makeshift defence in nearly every game, and we're third. Falcao has hardly had a kick, Di Maria has spent time out, we're relying heavily on Fellaini, and we're third.

We keep getting told that we're going to be 'found out', that our 'luck' is going to run out. Several people told us to wait until we'd played 'the big boys'. Well, we have. And we're third. 10 points clear of Liverpool who, so we keep being told, 'nearly won the league', last year.

We had to suck up an awful lot of grief, last year. The majority of which came from Liverpool fans. Take a bit of your own medicine.

The players clearly believe in Van Gaal, and they're fighting for the results.

I don't see too much of that over your way, at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History dictates that whilst Van Gaal teams usually hit good form a few months after he takes over, then his ego eventually clashes with players in the longer future.

Not sure anyone has him down as being a long term manager. He seems to have stuck around for an average of 3 or 4 years in his previous roles, and I'd imagine that's what he'll be aiming for at OT. He'll be 66 at the end of his contract, after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen a lot of this sort of thing, of late.

No United fan is taking anything for granted. We've achieved nothing, yet.

That said, we've played relatively poorly, with a makeshift defence in nearly every game, and we're third. Falcao has hardly had a kick, Di Maria has spent time out, we're relying heavily on Fellaini, and we're third.

We keep getting told that we're going to be 'found out', that our 'luck' is going to run out. Several people told us to wait until we'd played 'the big boys'. Well, we have. And we're third. 10 points clear of Liverpool who, so we keep being told, 'nearly won the league', last year.

We had to suck up an awful lot of grief, last year. The majority of which came from Liverpool fans. Take a bit of your own medicine.

The players clearly believe in Van Gaal, and they're fighting for the results.

I don't see too much of that over your way, at the moment.

Just as we had to take 20+ years of grief off Utd 'comedians'

One year of the opposite and you start to whine..That's the sense of entitlement often levelled at LFc fans kicking in with a few MUFC supporters.

As far as I can see, you've hardly played many teams in form in the current winning run.Arsenal away maybe but they were in the middle of their CL group.Plus we are hardly anything to boast about beating at the moment.Palace looked more convincing winners when we lost away their than Utd taking their chances last weekend.

I can see me coming into the thread has upset you immediately. it was in light hearted response to an inaccurate opinion being posted about how our supporters reacted to our win tonight.

I can only apologise for us beating Bournemouth and you not having a Utd game to watch this evening.

Farewell and enjoy the rest of the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as we had to take 20+ years of grief off Utd 'comedians'

One year of the opposite and you start to whine..That's the sense of entitlement often levelled at LFc fans kicking in with a few MUFC supporters.

As far as I can see, you've hardly played many teams in form in the current winning run.Arsenal away maybe but they were in the middle of their CL group.Plus we are hardly anything to boast about beating at the moment.Palace looked more convincing winners when we lost away their than Utd taking their chances last weekend.

I can see me coming into the thread has upset you immediately. it was in light hearted response to an inaccurate opinion being posted about how our supporters reacted to our win tonight.

I can only apologise for us beating Bournemouth and you not having a Utd game to watch this evening.

Farewell and enjoy the rest of the season.

Typical overreaction.

No-one's 'upset'.

Enjoy your thrilling win over Bournemouth, whilst we enjoy our season.

Touchy lot, aren't you?
This discussion has been closed.