The Walking Dead S3 FXUK

Comments

• kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The walking dead 1989 shows how zombies are made :p look it up if u want too.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    The walking dead 1989 shows how zombies are made :p look it up if u want too.

I'm not all that bothered how they were made, but maybe some speculation on the characters parts might be natural and provide some interesting dialogue. The fact that dead people are now walking around trying to eat the living just seemed to be accepted very quickly! I would also like to have seen some more flashbacks to when the outbreak first started, we have only really seen the ZA through coma boys eyes and a few very meagre flashbacks. I don't think that we will get more now - I expected we might get some of Michonne, or the Guv but alas no,

Also, how come they call them walkers, biters, etc...but not zombies :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »

It may be that the characters see zombies as fictional creatures like vampires and werewolves and so they have decided to name these people that have come back to life as something else
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how come they call them walkers, biters, etc...but not zombies :D

TWD creator talked about that on "The Talking Dead" chat show which airs immediately after every new episode. Here's a link to what he said: LINK

By the way does "The Talking Dead" air in the UK? Anyway, here's a brief summary of what was said on the show:

In the world of "The Walking Dead," he said, the concept of zombies doesn't exist.

"One of the things about this world is that people don't know how to shoot people in the head at first, and they're not familiar with zombies, per se," Kirkman said on "Talking Dead." "This isn't a world the (George) Romero movies exist, for instance … because we don't want to portray it that way, we felt like having them be saying 'zombie' all the time would harken back to all of the zombie films which we, in the real world, know about.

"So by calling them something different, we're kind of giving a nod to … these people don't understand the situation. They've never seen this in pop culture, this is a completely new thing for them."
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It may be that the characters see zombies as fictional creatures like vampires and werewolves and so they have decided to name these people that have come back to life as something else

I think it's plain and simple, they didn't want to use the name "zombie" so they came up with "walkers", I like tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    TWD creator talked about that on "The Talking Dead" chat show which airs immediately after every new episode. Here's a link to what he said: LINK

By the way does "The Talking Dead" air in the UK? Anyway, here's a brief summary of what was said on the show:

In the world of "The Walking Dead," he said, the concept of zombies doesn't exist.

"One of the things about this world is that people don't know how to shoot people in the head at first, and they're not familiar with zombies, per se," Kirkman said on "Talking Dead." "This isn't a world the (George) Romero movies exist, for instance … because we don't want to portray it that way, we felt like having them be saying 'zombie' all the time would harken back to all of the zombie films which we, in the real world, know about.

"So by calling them something different, we're kind of giving a nod to … these people don't understand the situation. They've never seen this in pop culture, this is a completely new thing for them."

TTD doesn't air over here but I have watched a couple of editions on Youtube
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Copyright.

Apple, Inc'll sue the pants off of anyone caught using the term "zombie" in any official commercial capacity. They reserve that use of the term for interoffice memos when referring to their customerbase.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    I, for one, really appreciate your permission.

I, for another one (still being me, the one, but yet another one in the instance sense), find it utterly refreshing to be granted permission to do as I wish and not some "patronising and pointless" sort of hypocrisy.

I, for a third, yet still somehow one, thank you.

But I would like to clarify and/or extend what you will permit.

Would it be okay with you if I stopped watching BUT ALSO continued to bitch?

Did you not hear the whoosh as my point flew right over your head?
    My post was not aimed at you but one argumentative individual who turned this thread into a patronising rant at another poster who disagreed with them because they apparently were right.

I was simply saying (but obviously not clear enough) that posters may disagree but no one poster is right or wrong, it's just their opinion

blitzben85 wrote: »
    I too love the show but can see where it's going wrong and how poor writing is killing it. It's not patronising and pointless, it's healthy debate. How boring must it be if we all said we loved it and the show had no issues. imo Frank Darabont would give this show a much needed kick up the arse, S1 was great and it's a shame he left.

See my response above
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh... Susana...

Just having a little fun. ;)

How was I to know you weren't speaking to me (I am a troll and a very condescending one at that so many so say)?

And anyway, while often some of the things I say is just my opinion, most of the things I say are dead certain right on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's plain and simple, they didn't want to use the name "zombie" so they came up with "walkers", I like tbh.

That may be the reason the makers of the show have but I was thinking about the reasons within the world of the show.

In Shaun of the Dead Shaun didn't like it when his friend Ed used the z word

Ed: Any zombies out there?

Shaun: Don't say that!

Ed: What?

Shaun: That!

Ed: What?

Shaun: That!! The "z" word. Don't say it!

Ed: Why not?

Shaun: Because it's ridiculous!

Ed: Alright... are there any, though?

Shaun: [looking out the door mail slot, sees an empty street] I don't see any. Maybe it's not as bad as all that. [turns his head, sees a pack of zombies] Oh, no, wait, there they are.
  • AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    He sent someone beforehand to place the gun under the table ?

The governor arrived early to the meeting. My point was how did he get there (after all he left w/ his group so his car would be have to picked up later on) and what happened to his gun. OK, they're minor details I should probably not be all that concerned about.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although such creatures have been apart of folklore for centures, the term zombie (to describe this type of undead monster) is very recent. Even the first true zombie movies by Ramero didn't call them zombies until later on.
    Undead creatures who roamed around seeking human flesh were called many things, Ghouls, Wraiths, Wights, Vampires etc.
    I think this series (and the comics) is in a world where Ramero didn't make his movies so they aren't using the term Zombie and don't have all the pop culture Shaun of the Dead style knowledge in our zeit gheist.
    Not sure why they're not called Ghouls or Wraiths though instead of Walkers. The term seems so meh.
  • johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    Although such creatures have been apart of folklore for centures, the term zombie (to describe this type of undead monster) is very recent. Even the first true zombie movies by Ramero didn't call them zombies until later on.
    Undead creatures who roamed around seeking human flesh were called many things, Ghouls, Wraiths, Wights, Vampires etc.
    I think this series (and the comics) is in a world where Ramero didn't make his movies so they aren't using the term Zombie and don't have all the pop culture Shaun of the Dead style knowledge in our zeit gheist.
    Not sure why they're not called Ghouls or Wraiths though instead of Walkers. The term seems so meh.

Slightly off-topic, but in the new BBC3 series 'In the Flesh' the governement have called them sufferers of 'Partially Deceased Syndrome'.

Prior to that when the 'rising' began, they referred to them as 'Rotters'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    A very British response to a zombie apocalypse in my opinion.

There's a thread here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64907453
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Zombie movies never call zombies zombies.

There's a reference to the fact in Shaun of the Dead, here.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zombie fiction seems to follow one of two scenarios - 1) They don't recognise zombies and the genre does not exist or 2) They call them zombies and make reference to Romero.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, but in the new BBC3 series 'In the Flesh' the governement have called them sufferers of 'Partially Deceased Syndrome'.

Prior to that when the 'rising' began, they referred to them as 'Rotters'.

Zombie was used once by the lead character though.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    What I want to know is stuff like, do the zombies continue to rot or does the virus prevent that. Do they need to eat or will they eventually rot away? where do they get their energy from? Stick ten zombies on a tread mill they could power a small town, do they need to feed to do this?
    Does the virus survive in heat? if they go out into the desert and it's over 100F will the zombies keep going? would that cause them to rot?
    can they swim? can the virus survive under water for a long time?
    Me too. And it annoys me when the characters don't seem curious about these matters.

For example, I tend to think zombies work like cold-blooded animals, like crocodiles. A crocodile can bank its fires low and then survive for a year without food, making it an excellent ambush-predator. That fits with how zombies behave; they are dormant until someone makes a noise and arouses them. If this is correct, then it suggests zombies will be increasingly sluggish in colder weather, and are likely to freeze solid when the temperature drops below zero. It follows that Rick should aim to travel north. No active zombies in a Canadian winter.

So there are practical consequences to these questions.
    The creator does not want to tell the story of the origin of the virus ! Why ? That's a big question everyone wants to know, or does he not have a decent imagination to create such a story ?
    Well, there's a theory that zombies represent unreasoning. It is one of the ways they differ from other undead, such as vampires, or other monsters, such as werewolves, or other natural disasters, such as tsunamis. Explaining them would diminish this aspect of them. A video posted to this Kinja blog explains at slightly greater length.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arguably Romero didn't call them zombies because they aren't. There hasn't been a major film about true zombies since The Serpent and the Rainbow 25 years ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True zombies :D
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was he whistling a tune from a zelda game?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, having a change of heart about Milton, he's a bit of a sweetie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Over here we call guys like Milton "pussies".

Candy... Sweeties... Pussies... Kittens... Boots... Trunks... Elephants...

:D

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    Over here we call guys like Milton "pussies".

Candy... Sweeties... Pussies... Kittens... Boots... Trunks... Elephants...

:D

;)

Where are you OpEd?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Chances are he's toast now though

BTW was it just me or was there a trailer for a repeat showing of Dark Skies during one of the ad breaks??