Options

Wentworth (remake of Prisoner: Cell Block H) on Channel 5 (Spoilers in tags)

Comments

• Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to watching the whole of episode 1 (I know, I'm really slow) and I was gripped - especially by that plot twist/development right at the end.

Jacs has to be the standout character (although isn't she just the original Bea?) But all the leads are great, especially Frankie and Bea. I particularly like the way they are revealing to us much more of Bea's back-story than we ever got in the original.
    And I loved the way they brought in the old theme tune as well.

Hopefully I'll get round to watching all 10 episodes before they start showing next year's episodes.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Mr Fletcher genuinely interested or is he only after her because she is the only virgin with a 100 miles of Wentworth and he wants the complete the challenge of being Vera's first?
  • Options
    foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Is Mr Fletcher genuinely interested or is he only after her because she is the only virgin with a 100 miles of Wentworth and he wants the complete the challenge of being Vera's first?

That's what I am finding interesting. In the original Vera and Fletcher went out for a couple of drinks, but nothing really came of it - Vera was too tame for Fletcher. I wonder how close the characters are running to the originals?

In the original PCBH Vera's mother died, but by the looks of last night's episode - it looks like Vera may actually end up killing her mum...

I am loving the series so far - it just adds to the legend of Prisoner Cell Block H. I was fearful it would diminish its legacy :)
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For All you fans...

Yes Channel 5 has secured season 2

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/10/channel-5-picks-uk-rights-wentworth-season-2/

(Sorry if this has been reported.)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    For All you fans...

Hooray! Excellent news. This is fast becoming one of my favourite shows on tv, (and I never saw any of PCBH, so it's all delightfully new to me). :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    For All you fans...

And, what's more:
    They've cast the actress to play Joan Fergusson for season 2
    I can't wait for that!
  • Options
    MontyDMontyD Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked last nights episode, good to know more about Vera. I never watched Cell Block H but didn't the inmates use to call her vinegar tits and not be all that respectful towards her?

Here she is quite liked among the inmates.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MontyD wrote: »
    I liked last nights episode, good to know more about Vera. I never watched Cell Block H but didn't the inmates use to call her vinegar tits and not be all that respectful towards her?

bib: Yes:D

The original Vera was never respectful towards the prisoners, who she regularly described as "animals" who deserved to be treated like dirt..
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The original Vera was never respectful towards the prisoners, who she regularly described as "animals" who deserved to be treated like dirt..

I loved when Vera left in the original series. Mouse got her a pet rock (which she immediately flung away) and Lizzie gave her a little farewell speech about how, despite everything, she wasn't glad to see her go - because it's better the Devil you know!
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MontyD wrote: »

That's true but what seems to be happening with this series is that the characters appear to be gradually growing into characters more like the ones we remember from the original series. It's not like they're already the fully formed complete package, but more like we're seeing some character development first. A bit like a prequel of sorts.

However it doesn't mean that they will turn out to be exactly 100% like the ones in the original, it's just that it appears that they will become more and more familiar as the series goes on.

I think that this is something which I like about this series. I think it's a good idea rather than going for a straight remake and carbon copy of what went before.
    I reckon that once these characters are fully formed and they've covered many familiar aspects from the original series, then in the future the series will go its own way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but I think we've seen enough of Vera's backstory so far to see how she could just break and 'turn'.
    All it would take is something which will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Now in the last episode she has been exposed as being vulnerable it's easy to see how circumstances could change if any prisoners tried to take advantage of that.

Whether that will happen with this reimagining of the series I have no idea though.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but I think we've seen enough of Vera's backstory so far to see how she could just break and 'turn'.
    All it would take is something which will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Now in the last episode she has been exposed as being vulnerable it's easy to see how circumstances could change if any prisoners tried to take advantage of that.

Whether that will happen with this reimagining of the series I have no idea though.

I suppose if they turn the new Vera 'nasty', they'll bring in Ferguson as an even nastier screw. In the original show, Ferguson was supposed to be the officer who went from nice to nasty (although we only heard about her previously nice side, which was her backstory). The 'Wentworth' producers seem to have given this arc to Vera (unless Vera stays nice, like Meg in the original, and the Freak is the ultimate villain)...
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overnight rating 818,000 up from 789,000 last week and 844,000 previous week so maybe it has now found it's audience and it looks like last week didn't put anyone else off which is good.
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overnight rating 818,000 up from 789,000 last week and 844,000 previous week so maybe it has now found it's audience and it looks like last week didn't put anyone else off which is good.

That's great news. From that I think it's more likely to go up than down for the remaining episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I suppose if they turn the new Vera 'nasty', they'll bring in Ferguson as an even nastier screw. In the original show, Ferguson was supposed to be the officer who went from nice to nasty (although we only heard about her previously nice side, which was her backstory). The 'Wentworth' producers seem to have given this arc to Vera (unless Vera stays nice, like Meg in the original, and the Freak is the ultimate villain)...

It's tricky because this series is different. In the original series it was a few series before The Freak was introduced, and up until that point Vera acted as the warder to hate.
    She could be unpleasant, but she wasn't as evil as The Freak, just mean and bitter, authoritarian, and doing things by the book maybe? She probably seemed worse than she was at the time because she was a contrast to Meg who was overly nice.

As The Freak is going to be introduced in series 2 it might be overkill to have two warders being villains. If they want The Freak to have more impact, perhaps making Vera a villain too would dilute the impact of The Freak?
    So perhaps with this reimagined series they've only taken aspects of the original Vera?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm pleased with that. I think this series deserves its ratings to do well.
  • Options
    ZaichikZaichik Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Really loved this week's episode - the best yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's tricky because this series is different. In the original series it was a few series before The Freak was introduced, and up until that point Vera acted as the warder to hate.
    She could be unpleasant, but she wasn't as evil as The Freak, just mean and bitter, authoritarian, and doing things by the book maybe? She probably seemed worse than she was at the time because she was a contrast to Meg who was overly nice.

As The Freak is going to be introduced in series 2 it might be overkill to have two warders being villains. If they want The Freak to have more impact, perhaps making Vera a villain too would dilute the impact of The Freak?
    So perhaps with this reimagined series they've only taken aspects of the original Vera?

Are we going to see something we never got to see in the original series - The Freak and Vinegar Tits in the show at the same time?!

I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with The Freak. Will they tease us with those famous black gloves, and then make her completely different from Maggie Kirkpatrick's version? Or is The Freak such an iconic character in Aussie tv that they daren't fix something that isn't broken?
    ...or maybe an enigmatic combination of the two?
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    Are we going to see something we never got to see in the original series - The Freak and Vinegar Tits in the show at the same time?!

I am really looking forward to seeing what they do with The Freak. Will they tease us with those famous black gloves, and then make her completely different from Maggie Kirkpatrick's version? Or is The Freak such an iconic character in Aussie tv that they daren't fix something that isn't broken?
    ...or maybe an enigmatic combination of the two?

I have seen a teaser trailer for series 2, which shows a close up of someone putting on a pair of black leather gloves - but it's too tightly shot to say who it is! I don't think they had cast The (new) Freak by that stage, which may explain the close-up; or they may decide to play with things a bit and let a different character don the gloves first!

(Thinking about it, Vera's always the one doing the strip searches. I know she and Erica are the most prominent female authority figures so it would have to be one of them and so naturally in storytelling terms it's Vera, but maybe they've been secretly seeding Vera becoming the modern day 'Freak' all along...........)
  • Options
    Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I loved when Vera left in the original series. Mouse got her a pet rock (which she immediately flung away) and Lizzie gave her a little farewell speech about how, despite everything, she wasn't glad to see her go - because it's better the Devil you know!

I remember that particular scene. Quite funny! I think Vera flung the said rock after Lizzie spoke her parting shot to her.

Watching Wentworth Prison yesterday. The relationship between Vera and her Mother. Very much like Di Barker and her Mother from Bad Girls.

As much as I enjoy Wentworth Prison. I have along with many others noticed the similar storylines and characters from Prisoner Cell Block H and Bad Girls being reworked into Wentworth.

It must be a challenge to find original storylines etc. Though on the other hand. Wentworth is very now. It is fresh.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show - this week's episode has been my favourite so far. The stories are all developing quite nicely. I love the tension and chemistry between Erica and Franky!

Also, I found Vera's story more interesting compared to some of the other back stories we've seen in past episodes. This one really intrigued me and reminded me of the relationship of Di and her mother from Bad Girls too. Could Vera end up killing her mother?!

I like the growing relationship between Bea and the dead governor's husband - it's very sweet :)
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vera's relationship with her mother is parallel to the original Prisoner series but her mother died early on in that so they never got to fully explore it.

Next weeks episode is really not to be missed. It starts getting really interesting in time for the seasons end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vera's relationship with her mother is parallel to the original Prisoner series but her mother died early on in that so they never got to fully explore it.

Next weeks episode is really not to be missed. It starts getting really interesting in time for the seasons end.

Awesome! I can't wait! :) Do you think Vera's mum will stay alive for longer then, so we get to see more of her relationship with Vera? I've never watched Prisoner (only seen Bad Girls and have all of them on DVD).

I'm so pleased that Series 2 is happening! And 12 episodes too! Yay :D I've just started following Danielle Cormack on Twitter too.

I have a massive massive crush on Erica Davidson! :o
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Vera, but at least she now has some attention from what's his name that she likes, even though she'd prob never wanted him to every find out she lied (even if out of desperation). Did Bea's daughter look different, the hair maybe. I suppose to show that it has been a long period since her last visit or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    Poor Vera, but at least she now has some attention from what's his name that she likes, even though she'd prob never wanted him to every find out she lied (even if out of desperation). Did Bea's daughter look different, the hair maybe. I suppose to show that it has been a long period since her last visit or something.

I get the feeling that Fletcher isn't as nice as he makes out and Vera's heart is going to get broken... just a feeling.

Yeah, Bea's daughter did look different but I agree, I think it was to show how long it had been since she last visited. Could her daughter end up in prison like her mum? she seems to be going off the rails.