Inspector Montalbano BBC4 Saturday 9PM

Comments

• PerarduamollyPerarduamolly Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    How come Francois is suddenly 20? Just how long has Montalbano been engaged to Livia? It has to be more than 15 years since they found Francois when he was just 5.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come Francois is suddenly 20? Just how long has Montalbano been engaged to Livia? It has to be more than 15 years since they found Francois when he was just 5.

I believe the episode when we first saw Francois was made in 1999 - and is one of the novels written in the mid-nineties - or around that time which is about the requisite fifteen years.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Satursday's episode I was reminded of the 'saying': Italian ladies are the most beautiful in the world and the Dutch ones the........." God, an end endless supply for the good Inspector. The new Livia is something else too.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Satursday's episode I was reminded of the 'saying': Italian ladies are the most beautiful in the world and the Dutch ones the........." God, an end endless supply for the good Inspector. The new Livia is something else too.

Well us ladies think Italian men are pretty hot; I like their stylish suits too.

It did make me laugh though when Salvo and Fazio went to see that gossipy woman who seemed to be a chain smoker (bit part character). She was dressed to the nines just walking around her house - she had an evening dress on, 3 inch heels and her hair swept up! I wonder if the houses in Sicily really have all that ornate, very dated looking furniture and decor. Her house was gross; it had burgundy/gold regal-looking chaise longues and far too much detail on the 70s style wallpaper. Most of them seem to be like that in the show. :confused: Salvo's beach house is nice though.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    For me the least enjoyable episode yet broadcast in the UK. The plotline was stretched too thin and far too much time spent on the bunny boiler attempting to seduce Monty.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy tonight's as much as YM last week: back to screechy opening music and wobbly-helicopter shots at the start and it seemed a little too long.

Still rather better than a lot of the stuff we get though.

I absolutely love the helicopter shots and the music. The music cheers me up every time I hear it.
    I don't like this new Livia (another dubbed one!) and it doesn't help that I find Livia an unappealing character anyway! But yes as I say above, it's a shame this series kicked off with a laboured ep as it may have discouraged some fans of the young series. It's normally much better than this; it needed another plot to complement the main one which was quite dull.

I loved this episode. :confused: but it looks like I'm in the minority. There's loads of things that drag you right back in to IM. His over-expressiveness,his disdain for authority, his relationship with everyone else in the station, the fact that an old, bald, fat, bandy man can be utterly, utterly gorgeous and I would take IM every single time over Young Montalbano, I couldn't tell you why, he's just so much sexier than YM even though YM is conventionally pretty. Wouldn't kick either of them out of bed though. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I too loved it - nice humour with the Carlo scenario also The Inspector breached protocol on how many occasions. That's what women do to you.........
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just came from work trip abroad when i missed the last episode of the young montalbano. Hadnt recorded as i knew it was on iplayer.....so disappointed now as it has gone...any idea where i could watch it...:(
  • Sparrow59Sparrow59 Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Just came from work trip abroad when i missed the last episode of the young montalbano. Hadnt recorded as i knew it was on iplayer.....so disappointed now as it has gone...any idea where i could watch it...:(
    Check again - the episodes are available for a week, disappear and then are available again. I can't remember the time frame, but you should be able to download it. It was a cracking episode :)

Yes, the new Livia is annoying, and far too much like Ingrid. I personally liked the episode. I do find that both Monty and Fazio have aged and look far more world weary (especially Fazio) than the previous series - or perhaps the young Monty was just so fresh faced that it was a bit of a shock to see the old cast again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »

I loved this episode. :confused: but it looks like I'm in the minority. There's loads of things that drag you right back in to IM. His over-expressiveness,his disdain for authority, his relationship with everyone else in the station, the fact that an old, bald, fat, bandy man can be utterly, utterly gorgeous and I would take IM every single time over Young Montalbano, I couldn't tell you why, he's just so much sexier than YM even though YM is conventionally pretty. Wouldn't kick either of them out of bed though. ;)

I should say that I liked some aspects of the episode - the usual comic banter and of course it was nice to see Luca in the role again. I just didn't think the Angelica plot was all that riveting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, but she was!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have sent you a PM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, but she was!

If you're a bloke maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...........and I can confirm I am!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I figured.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...er, that aside (!) I did enjoy the episode. I am not sure the 'joke' with the door and the simpleton sidekick still works, but a small price to pay when watching this.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...er, that aside (!) I did enjoy the episode. I am not sure the 'joke' with the door and the simpleton sidekick still works, but a small price to pay when watching this.

I love Catarella and the door, I know it's coming and i still laugh like a drain. :o:D Love the name mangling too. I know one was rude this week, but I often wonder if they're ruder than we realise. :D

Could have done without the laboured video game playing to get to the simple point of they're in it together though. If he wasn't so blinded by her extremely obvious nipples, he'd have worked out she was in on it earlier, I did.

Impressed with the number of extras in this week's episode too - full terrace in the restaurant, all the swinger couples, the bank employees and people actually walking about. Have they got an increased budget? :confused::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...er, that aside (!)

Why the 'er' and the '(!)'? The reason I bothered to follow up with 'I figured' is 'cause I didn't see the need for you to confirm you were a bloke as it's blatantly obvious from your name - unless the name signifies a woman with a particular fascination with sideburns of course! :p
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like Ingrid changed her name and became Livia, and the old ugly Livia disappeared.
    And the nipples in this episode! The nipples!

Enjoyed it actually, but until it started we were wondering how come Montalbano and Yng.Montalbano can be on at the same time? I this a repeat? Have we seen this one yet?

Clearer now but the TV Guide (EPG) on the telly is so rubbish with no real info.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the 'er' and the '(!)'? The reason I bothered to follow up with 'I figured' is 'cause I didn't see the need for you to confirm you were a bloke as it's blatantly obvious from your name - unless the name signifies a woman with a particular fascination with sideburns of course! :p

Tranquilo. Has someone stolen your prophet.......?!
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed it actually, but until it started we were wondering how come Montalbano and Yng.Montalbano can be on at the same time? I this a repeat? Have we seen this one yet?

Clearer now but the TV Guide (EPG) on the telly is so rubbish with no real info.

But they're not on at the same time. The YM series finished and a new series of the original Montalbano started the following week.

An EPG is useless apart from setting up recordings. Treat yourself to a proper listings magazine, like Radio Times! :)
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [bump]
    Second story in 30 minutes.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Bugger new series of 'proper' Montalbano, just copped on tonight, thought it was still Young Montalbano which didn't work for me.
    Not sure why I watch this program with all it's loose ends you need to fill in for yourself, set in a some sort of ghost town.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another woman playing hard to get with our Salvo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bugger new series of 'proper' Montalbano, just copped on tonight, thought it was still Young Montalbano which didn't work for me.
    Not sure why I watch this program with all it's loose ends you need to fill in for yourself, set in a some sort of ghost town.

Life is a series of loose ends played out in a ghost town.