Unusual surnames

Comments

• HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    My Mother has problems.

Our surname isn't that unusual but the spelling isn't what people expect.

Her christian name is a Welsh one that most English people don't seem to have come across.

Thankfully, in social circles, she's known by her middle name which is fairly plain and ordinary.

One place she worked she had a supervisor/manager by the name of O'nion!!
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    The school i went to had the biggest collection of odd names I have ever encountered. When i tell people they often dont believe me. We had two biology teachers one was Mr allcock and other Mr Xmas.
    Currently working with a Mr Alcock too.
    benjamini wrote: »
    Friend called Woodcock. He was alway known as timberdick.

I love McSporran .
    One of my primary called teachers had the same surname, but because of our ages at the time, I don't think anyone cotton on as to how 'jokey' it could be!
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    My surname is Biggs (Fathers side) and I've never met anyone with the same surname. The surname on my mothers side is Coward so both surnames are quite odd.

Ronnie and Noel of those two ilks made names for themselves in rather different ways.
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two surnames which I thought were made up but are apparently real -
    Isbister (as in Mr. Isbister)
    Alucard (in the film 'Dracula AD 1972' Prof Van Helsing helpfully spells it out backwards for any slow viewers).
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a friend who was a Pratt.

The amount of sniggers she got if she had to say it when we were out.

She was a very pretty girl though which more than made up for it.
  • fanstar77fanstar77 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I had a client whose surname was Funnel and her first name was Tammy. Every time I saw her I had a certain image in my head. Lovely girl. She owned a laundrette.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up with 3 brothers who had the surname Badcock. I knew them from a very young age so it was a long time before I found it snigger-worthy :D
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Christmas" is a rare one. Derives from a single village somewhere or other.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    When I worked in a building society many years ago, I had to phone up a Mr Uren.

There used to be family on my village called the Smellies, but they changed it for the sake of their children.

The TV presenter Carole Smillie's name is apparently derived from Smellie. Could be an urban myth though.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    fanstar77 wrote: »
    I had a client whose surname was Funnel and her first name was Tammy. Every time I saw her I had a certain image in my head. Lovely girl. She owned a laundrette.
    The horse rider Pippa Funnel.

Apparently a few giggles when she has to go for a drugs test under her given name.

Phillipa Funnel
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to school with someone whose surname was Crapper. That's not a "kids at school taking the piss" surname, that's an "everyone taking the piss for your whole life" surname.

There was an ice hockey player/referee with the same name. He changed it to Crapier.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I had a college lecturer by the name of Mr. Silley!!
  • demon freakdemon freak Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    One of the teachers at my old high school was called Mr. Lennie and another was Dr. Hollywood - both real I can assure you. I have never came across anyone else with those surnames.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I work with a colleague whose surname is "Arndt" not sure where the origins of that come from.

German surname. Anything with a d and t together typically will be German in origin.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Used to be a haberdashers in my home town called 'J. D. Drinkwater & Sons'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I had a dentist called Dr De'Ath.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once spoke to a Mr N Zealander on the phone at work.

This reminds me of an old joke that I read in an American magazine.
    A man was trying to trace a person named Sexauer.
    He rang an office in New York, where he'd been told that the person may work.
    When the phone was answered, he said, "Do you have a Sexauer there?"
    The reply came, "Are you kidding?"
    "We're lucky if we get a coffee break!"
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I used to work with 2 surgeons called Mr Bellringer and Mr Christmas.
    At work I have come across the names Mycock and W ank {she pronounced it 'wonk')
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I know a guy who's surname is "Daft".

I can't remember the origin except that it is apparently a Nottinghamshire / East Midlands name.

Yes , it is fairly common around the Nottingham area.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister in America had a doctor called Frankenstein.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    The TV presenter Carole Smillie's name is apparently derived from Smellie. Could be an urban myth though.

I'm sure it's true.

It's always sounded very contrived to me, the way they emphasised it as "Smiley Smiley Carole Smillie"' . Surely 'Smillie' should rhyme with 'Millie', not 'Miley'.

On another note, there's an estate agent in Reading called Vanderpump & Wellbelove.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it's true.

It's always sounded very contrived to me, the way they emphasised it as "Smiley Smiley Carole Smillie"' . Surely 'Smillie' should rhyme with 'Millie', not 'Miley'.

That's assuming that English spelling is an infallible guide to pronunciation. Which it ain't!
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    That's assuming that English spelling is an infallible guide to pronunciation. Which it ain't!

Yes, but people with comical surnames often bend them out of shape. The Hyacinth Bucket syndrome.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a friend who was a Pratt.

The amount of sniggers she got if she had to say it when we were out.

She was a very pretty girl though which more than made up for it.

My cousin's ex wife's surname was Pratt - she told him after they split up that she married him for his surname as she didn't want to be a Pratt anymore (to be fair, she turned out to be a massive pratt in general).
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once worked in a hospital where a consultant was called Cock Diong. I also had a lot of issues other the summer in my job with a Mr Hoare.

I have a friend with the surname Vint which is a name I hadn't come across before I met him.