Options

Armed Ministry of Defence Police go on patrol at GCHQ in Cheltenham

artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
Forum Member
✭✭
Armed Ministry of Defence Police are being deployed at GCHQ on a full-time basis as the listening post responds to the UK’s increased terrorism threat level. The UK threat level from international terrorism was raised from ‘substantial’ to ‘severe’ last year.
GCHQ has stressed the decision to bring in an armed presence provided by Ministry of Defence Police is not in response to any specific threat.
The armed officers will be guarding the entrances to GCHQ and making occasional sorties to the perimeter.
Just about 1000ft from my front door. :o #OMGWereAllGoingToDie

Read more: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Exclusive-Armed-Ministry-Defence-Police-patrol/story-26029138-detail/story.html

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,560
    Forum Member
    The only surprise there is that they didn't always have them, not necessarily at the gate but nearby on site.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armed MoDplod routinely patrol all sensitive military and governmental sites. I fail to see a problem, well except for their gimped MP7s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    More paranoid scaremongering by the politicians in an excuse to turn us all into mindless, unquestioning conformists and frightened sheeple. so they can bring in new laws under catch all phrase of 'prevention of terrorism'.
    Just because some Islamic neighbour's kid's good with chemistry and hates Cameron it doesn't make them a terrorist (but according to the sheeple and mindless conformist it does).
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The armed officers will be guarding the entrances to GCHQ and making occasional sorties to the perimeter.

Chippy van???
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    More paranoid scaremongering by the politicians in an excuse to turn us all into mindless, unquestioning conformists and frightened sheeple. so they can bring in new laws under catch all phrase of 'prevention of terrorism'.
    Just because some Islamic neighbour's kid's good with chemistry and hates Cameron it doesn't make them a terrorist (but according to the sheeple and mindless conformist it does).

The only sheeple are the ones who regurgitate this sound byte at every opportunity whether it's relevant or not.

You can copy and paste this post to any thread where the government or the police are mentioned.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Armed MoDplod routinely patrol all sensitive military and governmental sites. I fail to see a problem, well except for their gimped MP7s.

Yeah I'm surprised that they weren't already situated there. I know that quite a few sensitive sites moved to using private security in order to save money back in the 90's (and later), but wouldn't have expected that to be true of an obvious target like GCHQ.
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Chippy van???

or 99's.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chippy van???
    Bungitin wrote: »
    or 99's.

Or pizza....but probably best not to go there.:D
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the way that even some on here despise government interception of their personal communication I doubt that all threats come from foreign terrorists alone.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Or pizza....but probably best not to go there.:D

They using that dodgy cured turkey instead of ham???
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

Funny thing there...

A guy I know works at GCHQ (an IT drone) and he was making a big fuss about the fact that the modplod had MP7s, back when they were new and spangly, years ago.

Geez, though, it's the 21st century.
    I think it's time to get rid of those Comp M3s and replace them with T1s.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »

Maybe you didn't read what was said in the link

“Our enhanced security arrangements are not in response to any specific threat but related to the raising of the UK threat level from international terrorism from substantial to severe last year."

i know you like computer games motsy but what's happening at the moment isn't one of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Maybe you didn't read what was said in the link

“Our enhanced security arrangements are not in response to any specific threat but related to the raising of the UK threat level from international terrorism from substantial to severe last year."

i know you like computer games motsy but what's happening at the moment isn't one of them.

I've only just gone back into PC gaming.
    But the current PC gaming scene's a load of total Molochs which is one of the main reasons I've been downloading, Sega Genesis, SNES and '80s computer emulators and Dosbox.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MOD Police has always guarded such locations - and going back 20 years when I was a copper, always had a high percentage of armed officers permanently on duty.

It's a non-story in the truest sense. The media could have reported this/similar a week ago..a month, year, decade and far further back.

The media hears of a shifting in the allocation of personnel..and as ever "WOAH..!!!! ALERT...ALERT.."

Still..it gets them a news story, and a journalist or two is happy come pay day. Typical media seeking to 'shock' us with non-stories.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what's a shadier operation - Islamic extremism or GCHQ. The latter seem to regard 1984 as a blueprint rather than a warning.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why this is a story. MOD Police have always been armed, and are posted at many such establishments.