Options

Family Guy - Coming Soon to ITV 2

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
Forum Member
✭✭
Yes, that's right, Family Guy is now going to be on ITV 2 after the BBC let go of the rights as part of their cost saving exercise. ITV have already started promoting it internally (see here) and expect an announcement to be made very soon.

Good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Surprised Comedy Central didn't pick it up, it would have been a better fit given the large number of episodes which they could have had on repeat throughout the night.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Good that we can carry on watching, Bad that unless you have Sky or Virgin you'll no longer be able to watch in HD.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My money's on 2 sets of adverts in 22min episode. F**king ITV. I hate them. (will never forgive them for their coverage of the 1999 Champions League final - Man Utd have won the Champions League, here's 30 seconds of footage then we're cutting to Coronation Street >:(>:(>:(>:(>:( Would've been the same for any British team. Sorry for the football rant)

Only marginally better than if it went to C5.
    Where the hell is all your money C4?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will American Dad follow?

Will they be uncut on ITV2?

C4 bought the abysmal Cleveland Show but not Family Guy? Clueless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate that ITV have bought it, rather it went to C4 or even on another channel on Sky than them...bloody ad breaks!
  • Options
    albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have bought it a bit late since it is now well past its prime.

I still have eight episodes on my sky box from the last BBC3 series unwatched which I will probably watch at some point but I don't think I will follow the series onto ITV2.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Yes, that's right, Family Guy is now going to be on ITV 2 after the BBC let go of the rights as part of their cost saving exercise.

The BBC really do puzzle me sometimes... I understand the need for cost cutting sometimes, and I understand the need to sometimes have a limit on the amount of ‘foreign’ content – but to drop arguably the most successful programme on the channel – madness! And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t even like Family Guy!
    Straker wrote: »
    C4 bought the abysmal Cleveland Show but not Family Guy? Clueless.

But that’s because the rights to Family Guy weren’t available to them – I believe BBC and FOX had all the UK rights at the time. Channel 4 wanted it (presumably) so had to settle for its spin off. A decision that was made before it was known whether it would be a success (or any good). In hindsight maybe it wasn’t the best decision as the programme failed to replicate Family Guy’s success (both here and in the US).

Obviously I guess they could have gone for the rights to Family Guy now, but for whatever reason decided not to.
  • Options
    roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC trashing BBC 3:(
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BBC 3 closes they wont have anywhere to show FG
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »

But that’s because the rights to Family Guy weren’t available to them – I believe BBC and FOX had all the UK rights at the time. Channel 4 wanted it (presumably) so had to settle for its spin off. A decision that was made before it was known whether it would be a success (or any good). In hindsight maybe it wasn’t the best decision as the programme failed to replicate Family Guy’s success (both here and in the US).

Obviously I guess they could have gone for the rights to Family Guy now, but for whatever reason decided not to.

Wasn't talking about "then", just using the inferior quality of TCS as a comparitor. Clearly they could've gone after FG now but seemingly chose not to.
  • Options
    Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Fox wouldn't let them have it on BBC Online/iPlayer so they've let the rights lapse. It was never going to fit on One or Two.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Yes, that's right, Family Guy is now going to be on ITV 2 after the BBC let go of the rights as part of their cost saving exercise. ITV have already started promoting it internally (see here) and expect an announcement to be made very soon.

Good or bad?

Given that all the information we have is that lift picture, I'm not sure we can assume that yet. ITV could have bid more for the rights, rather than BBC simply giving them up, and BBC can't really afford to get into a bidding war, especially not over Family Guy of all things. It's not a big loss imo.
  • Options
    roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    If BBC 3 closes they wont have anywhere to show FG

They said programmes not online would have been on late night BBC1/2. If they didn't bid seriously another fabrication by the BBC - no wonder they've not convinced people with their BBC3 online plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that all the information we have is that lift picture, I'm not sure we can assume that yet. ITV could have bid more for the rights, rather than BBC simply giving them up, and BBC can't really afford to get into a bidding war, especially not over Family Guy of all things. It's not a big loss imo.
    Well, the BBC have never mentioned what they will do with FG and AD if/when BBC 3 closes and moves online only. We do know that they will never be allowed to have them on iPlayer because FOX doesn't like the software the BBC use for iPlayer so if the BBC held on to the rights, they would have essentially nowhere to show them except for late night ONE or TWO, places they don't really fit. ITV may have paid more than the BBC did last time the rights came up, but it's safe to say the BBC were going to be letting the rights go anyway, why would they pay to have the rights to something that they couldn't show?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't work with ad breaks.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

When Family Guy first aired in the UK, I swear that it was on Channel 4 with ad breaks. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct, it was. Shown at 6pm (and Sunday 1pm repeats) and edited badly for content.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way is Family Guy a 'UK TV Show'?
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People saying the ads will ruin the show, err hello... The Simpsons on C4? Still rating really well despite ads in the middle? Why would it be any different with Family guy?

And Danger Close, why would they insert two sets of ads? They don't do that with any other 22 minute show. They will have one set of ads in the middle, and ads before and after it, just like with any other show.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If US audiences can watch it every week with adverts then I'm sure we can!
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Also- don't the new episodes go to Fox UK first? Fox also screen repeats each night - with ads - and they get watched. So get over it already and quit moaning about a 4 minute internal break.

On the rights being snatched up, it's allegedly NOT a done deal yet as talks are ongoing - hence no press release as yet - but ITV must be certain it will be soon.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Will work better without having to listen to those condescending f***wits who do the continuity on BBC Three.

Give me adverts over that any day of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I highly doubt ITV would have spent the money doing that to the lift if they weren't absolutely certain they had the rights secured. How stupid would it look now that the image of the lift door is in the public domain if it turned out they didn't get the rights?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pros of being on ITV 2 over BBC 3 -

No ugly big pink BBC THREE graphic
    No annoying female continuity announcer

Cons of being on ITV 2 over BBC 3 -

No free HD showing of the episodes
    Ad breaks
    Possible extra on screen clutter/ads
  • Options
    Steady40Steady40 Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt ITV would have spent the money doing that to the lift if they weren't absolutely certain they had the rights secured. How stupid would it look now that the image of the lift door is in the public domain if it turned out they didn't get the rights?

Well ITV haven't been the smartest bunch lately, if you look at their recent output, so it wouldn't surprise me