The Great European Disaster Movie

Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There was a very interesting programme on BBC 4 last night entitled " The Great European Disaster Movie". It was a fictional dramatisation, based on the way the EU is heading and, unlike the recent Channel 4 offering about a UKIP government, gives a frightening view of what could happen, should the EU collapse. It`s a cautionary tale and well worth watching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b054v0v2/storyville-20142015-17-the-great-european-disaster-movie

Comments

• warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chronic BBC bias on show yet again.
    "In this 90-minute authored documentary, a fanatically Europhile former editor of the Ecommunist, Bill Emmott, was given space to fantasise about the horrors which would ensue were the glorious and bounteous European Union ever to collapse.

Among the EU’s magnificent achievements cited in the programme were the moment when a bearded man wearing a dress – Conchita Wurst – won the Eurovision Song Contest...."

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/03/02/bbc-bias-is-beyond-a-joke-and-unfortunately-its-here-to-stay/
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Hannan has enjoyed ripping it apart on Twitter today.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    "In this 90-minute authored documentary, a fanatically Europhile former editor of the Ecommunist, Bill Emmott, was given space to fantasise about the horrors which would ensue were the glorious and bounteous European Union ever to collapse.

Among the EU’s magnificent achievements cited in the programme were the moment when a bearded man wearing a dress – Conchita Wurst – won the Eurovision Song Contest...."

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/03/02/bbc-bias-is-beyond-a-joke-and-unfortunately-its-here-to-stay/

well at least the comments underneath were entertaining: what a collection of fruit loops.
  • Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think that it was incredibly biased in favour of the EU and typical BBC. At least it shows that even a hardened Europhile acknowledges the fact that the EU cannot continue as it is today.
  • butchcasidybutchcasidy Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did think that it was incredibly biased in favour of the EU and typical BBC. At least it shows that even a hardened Europhile acknowledges the fact that the EU cannot continue as it is today.

This whole rotten Empire will collapse under its own weight of central dictatorship. Much like the previous three in Europe.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC is funded by the EU.

Propaganda, that's all it is.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »

I thought it was funded by the licence fee :confused:
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More correctly , the EU steals money from the British Taxpayer, part of which is used to fund pro EU propaganda telling everyone the EU is great
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    I thought it was funded by the licence fee :confused:

The BBC has been given, on estimate, £22 million by the EU over the past few years.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Obviously the EU is not the main source of funding for the BBC, but they have received EU funds: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culturehousedaily/2014/02/the-millions-in-eu-funding-the-bbc-tried-to-hide/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    Obviously the EU is not the main source of funding for the BBC, but they have received EU funds: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culturehousedaily/2014/02/the-millions-in-eu-funding-the-bbc-tried-to-hide/

I didn't say it was the main source of funding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a conflict of interest scandal that had it not involved the BBC or the EU would have a Panorama episode devoted to it.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say it was the main source of funding.

I know, it was just a pre-emptive mention in case anyone tried to dismiss your point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    I know, it was just a pre-emptive mention in case anyone tried to dismiss your point.

Oh right. Thanks. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " BBC Denies Ukip Claim EU Money Was Used To Make 'The Great European Disaster Movie' Mockumentary "

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/02/bbc-denies-ukip-eu-money_n_6782366.html

" Eurosceptics implied the corporation used the money to make The Great European Disaster Movie, which aired on BBC 4 on Sunday night. It showed Prime Minister Nigel Farage deporting recent immigrants from "Greater England" as Spain isolates itself and Islamic State (IS) marches on Vienna after the collapse of the EU."

"No EU money was used in the making of the programme being aired on the BBC."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    " BBC Denies Ukip Claim EU Money Was Used To Make 'The Great European Disaster Movie' Mockumentary "

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/02/bbc-denies-ukip-eu-money_n_6782366.html

" Eurosceptics implied the corporation used the money to make The Great European Disaster Movie, which aired on BBC 4 on Sunday night. It showed Prime Minister Nigel Farage deporting recent immigrants from "Greater England" as Spain isolates itself and Islamic State (IS) marches on Vienna after the collapse of the EU."

"No EU money was used in the making of the programme being aired on the BBC."

Perhaps the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation wants to go on record and state exactly "what" it spends the EU bungs on ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    Perhaps the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation wants to go on record and state exactly "what" it spends the EU bungs on ?

Good one :D

Fair point though they have only said what it wasn't used for not what it was used for, someone needs to ask them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, what exactly has the BBC spent its £22m on, given to it by the EU since 2007?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are receiving money from a foreign power then it should be in the accounts, probably under something vague like translation costs, research, and integration
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    warlord wrote: »

Did the EU give us Eurovision as well - how come half the participants aren't even EU members?:D

Perhaps the EU want to take over Australia now too as they are in this years contest.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Another wonderfully unbiased program from the bbc. Nigel Farage deporting children, economies collapsing. All in the first ten minutes.
    I'm surprised they didn't have farage driving around in a beetle giving Nazi salutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Another wonderfully unbiased program from the bbc. Nigel Farage deporting children, economies collapsing. All in the first ten minutes.
    I'm surprised they didn't have farage driving around in a beetle giving Nazi salutes.

Seems to be a lot of anti Farage spoofs going on at the moment. I think the establishment are worried
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of anti Farage spoofs going on at the moment. I think the establishment are worried

I think the EU people are worried too. ;)

Anyway. The Telegraph gives this 1 star and calls it 'patronising':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11444406/The-Great-European-Disaster-Movie-BBC-Four-review.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Did the EU give us Eurovision as well - how come half the participants aren't even EU members?:D

Perhaps the EU want to take over Australia now too as they are in this years contest.

It would make sense for the EU, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand to link up have a treaty and form one common market.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a very interesting programme on BBC 4 last night entitled " The Great European Disaster Movie". It was a fictional dramatisation, based on the way the EU is heading and, unlike the recent Channel 4 offering about a UKIP government, gives a frightening view of what could happen, should the EU collapse. It`s a cautionary tale and well worth watching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b054v0v2/storyville-20142015-17-the-great-european-disaster-movie

I thought it was an excellent documentary, bar the fictional airplane sh*te and the last 5-10 minutes which became a party political broadcast for the EU. Other than that it came some negative EU views, many unbiased historic and current points that cant be argued (e.g. the rise of the Far Left in Spain and the anti-EU now coming from many countries. But yes it was mainly pro-EU but often presented as opinions that you could argue against immediately. Unfortunately as i recorded it cut off before the debate immediately after in which Reckless was one of the 3 guests.

Storyville is generally bought in documentaries, although this programme BBC was one of four Exec Producers so they definitely partly funded it. But from what i can tell it the BBC didnt make it and its the journalist and previous editor of The Economist Bill Emmot's personal project and viewpoint, made by his Springshot Productions company:
    http://springshotproductions.com/

I don't have an issue with BBC4 showing this, i'm more enlightened and slightly more anti-EU than before i watched it, yet with a bit more knowledge of the subject