New Series: Arthur & George ITV 9pm

H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New 3-part series based on the life and crime solving of the real Arthur Conon Doyle. If it does well, it could be given a further series.

Comments

• nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it a go.

I'm not too fussed on Martin Clunes though.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruelty to animals? :(

Can't watch it after all.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    1903 and he wasn't hung or sectioned after killing animals and threatening kids?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    His Scottish accent isn't very good.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am quite liking Clunes' performance in this. I've never seen an ep of Doc Martin so perhaps his chops as a straighter actor are old news to everyone else.

Bit of oddness - Charles Edwards who plays Woodie in this played Conan Doyle in Murder Rooms!!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3802370560/tt0308611?ref_=tt_ov_i#
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was very good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am finding this unintentionally funny.
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New 3-part series based on the life and crime solving of the real Arthur Conon Doyle. If it does well, it could be given a further series.

Its just based on the one book by Julian Barnes called Arthur and George. A brilliant book, unfortunately no sequel so no further series though
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Its just based on the one book by Julian Barnes called Arthur and George. A brilliant book, unfortunately no sequel so no further series though

That hasn't stopped ITV before, they got more Mr Whicher despite there only being one book, and they've stretched out another two series from Broadchurch (which wasn't a book, but very obviously a limited series.)
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A further story would cover the real life events where A Conan Doyle was drawn into the disappearance of Agatha Christie.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am finding this really boring..... Didn't really like Clunes before and this hasn't endeared me to him and his Edinburgh accent is meh
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously aimed at ITV Studios USA where the Yanks will love this
  • Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That hasn't stopped ITV before, they got more Mr Whicher despite there only being one book, and they've stretched out another two series from Broadchurch (which wasn't a book, but very obviously a limited series.)

Fair enough... This is the first ITV drama I think i've ever watched!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's so hammy.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Fair enough... This is the first ITV drama I think i've ever watched!

Heh. They're not all like this, they do have the occasional good one. :D

I really wanted to like it but it just didn't really go anywhere, or make use of its decent cast. It got slightly more interesting in the last five minutes and I did rather like the scene around the table, but whether that's enough to make me come back will depend on my mood next week.
  • J-ZeeJ-Zee Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His accent keeps disappearing
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Any new series needs time to introduce characters before picking up pace. I thought Clunes accent wasn't too bad. I've seen film of ACD talking and this isn't far off his voice.
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never disliked anything with Martin Clunes in. He's a very versatile actor. This seems quite good so far, but I wish they would not overdo the background music. It drowns the dialogue - I had to switch on the subtitles!
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Cruelty to animals? :(

Can't watch it after all.

For about 10secs. It's an important part of the plot. Not worth missing the entire series over.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was good, not fantastic, but a good enough drama to watch the further two episodes.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The background music was awful and overpowering and added nothing to the drama, other than making me lose the will to live.

We both thought that the sound quality was poor making the dialogue, regardless of the variable accent, almost muffled at times.

Can't blame tha actor, Clunes is usually a very clear speaker.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they always make the indoor scenes so dark? It's the same in Downton Abbey. I can hardly see a thing. It didn't really grab me but I'll give it another go next week.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do they always make the indoor scenes so dark? It's the same in Downton Abbey. I can hardly see a thing. It didn't really grab me but I'll give it another go next week.

I suggest you check your contrast settings - Downton Abbey is perfectly lit and in HD looks incredible, even the windowless kitchen is well lighted.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm Scottish and thought it was fine.

Show was OK. Will be watching next week. I find it difficult to feel much sympathy for George at the moment (probably because he played an absolute rotter in The Missing!)
  • user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I thought it was pretty good but wish Martin had worked better on his Scottish accent: by the end of part one, it disappeared entirely. Other than that, it's worth watching.