Job interview but they won't pay travel expenses

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
Hi,

I have a job interview lined up, but it is a few miles away; I asked if they would pay my travel expenses. They said it is not their policy to pay intervew expenses.

Is there any law I can use to make them pay for these? It's only a few pounds but it's the principle :confused:

Comments

• AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable, just f**king unbelievable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIG AGGIE wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a job interview lined up, but it is a few miles away; I asked if they would pay my travel expenses. They said it is not their policy to pay intervew expenses.

Is there any law I can use to make them pay for these? It's only a few pounds but it's the principle :confused:

I don't believe there is. You don't have to go to the interview if it's that inconvenient.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

What principle??

It's an employer's market out there at the mo. Competition for every job is fierce. If you get hung up on this "principle" all you're doing is making their job easier for them by ruling yourself out of their shortlist.

Why should employers pay travel expenses for everyone they interview? If you want to work, find the money to get there! I know there are ways people on benefits can claim interview expenses in certain circumstances, but it's paid for by the Govt not the employer.

If getting to the interview is too costly, how would you manage getting there (if you got the job) before your first paypacket turned up??

As has been said already, unbelievable!!
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never known anyone expect expenses for an interview!

Wow.

If you pursue it you can kiss goodbye to the job.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shizuku wrote: »
    I have never known anyone expect expenses for an interview!

Wow.

If you pursue it you can kiss goodbye to the job.

If they haven't already kissed goodbye to it from just asking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give the gal a break perhaps she means from the job centre not the employer.

Do you mean from the job centre?

Because it is highly unlikely nor expected of potential employers to pay for travel expenses especially for just a few miles.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    why would you expect travel expenses unless the company offered them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Unbelievable, just f**king unbelievable.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would have said somebody is making cack like that up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    man i hope they meant the JS and not the company. the JS will if its far enough, a few miles aint that far.
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP..what is the principle you refer to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Yes there is, I advise you to visit your nearest police station tomorrow.

Its also stated in the bible.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume you mean claiming the expenses from the jobcentre if you are unemployed?

If so than perhaps there is a chance, but certain rules apply.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the OP is still online but has decided not to respond to any of the questions, so we will probably never know what they meant!
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aww, just shows how much the last administration instilled human rights, Health and safety rights and jobs as a poor alternative to dole - to this generation.

It reads like they asked the employer who said it's not their policy :eek: what a silly policy to have :D there must be a law somewhere surely.;)
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can remember, companies only offer travel expenses for interviews if you are coming from a long way away - and even then its often a good will gesture and not always the done thing.

How far are we talking here OP?
    Forum Member
    Well, the OP is still online but has decided not to respond to any of the questions, so we will probably never know what they meant!

im guessing they feel foolish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Bless - don't be mean, she was only asking. Some companies do and she may have had it before and presumed it was normal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    No I mean from the company not the JobCentre.

The reason I ask is just that I heard that you can't give a bad reference, you can't discriminate, you're not allowed to sack people etc, so I just wondered if there was a law about this as well.

I just think if they want to give me a job they should be prepared to put their hand in their pocket.
    Forum Member

The reason I ask is just that I heard that you can't give a bad reference, you can't discriminate, you're not allowed to sack people etc, so I just wondered if there was a law about this as well.

I just think if they want to give me a job they should be prepared to put their hand in their pocket.

they are its called a wage and one you have not earn yet and its just a interview, they interview dozens if not 100s for that position, you cant really be serious so aye.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Companies can give a bad reference, as long as it's true, but many people choose to be safe. Companies can sack people too.

It seems you think you are doing them a favour by going for this interview? I would suggest this job is not quite right for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh. My. God. Seriously???????????!!!

Do you not know how hard it is to get a job right now? Do you not realise people are being made redundant every bloody day?

OP, your attitude sucks, and I'd be prepared to have a very long wait for a job unless you start living in the real world!!

:mad::mad::mad:
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member

Erm, nah - not in these times where some people are actually desperate for jobs - It's hardly slim pickings for any employer looking for staff these days - why on earth would they pay your travel expenses when there's plenty of others out there who would be thrilled at just the prospect of an interview, and wouldn't dream of asking for travel expenses...Think about what you're saying...

I doubt you'll get the job now anyways, as your requested probably will have been noted...
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there is any law as such, but I don't think anyone should think they can't go to an interview, because of the expenses of getting there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    OK I was just asking LOL.

I just thought there might be some rules about it LOL.