Options

Boris Johnson and his anti-Irish comment

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like he posts on here moaning about liberals and lefties!
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like he posts on here moaning about liberals and lefties!

Its a global left wing conspiracy to bring down Boris Johnson completely ignoring that he is bonkers and has one of his campaign team posting on here to flame anyone who criticises a member of the Conservative party.
  • Options
    makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRM wrote: »

This couldn't have come at a better time what with Red Ken getting into hot water over his 'riddled' comments! Now let's see all of Ken's excuse-makers on here be consistent for once and be equally as forgiving to Bojo!

After all, Ken's supporters claimed that his own ill chosen comments were completely reasonable and that their opinions of them were entirely genuine and had absolutely nothing to do with petty political tribalism or bias whatsoever.

Definitely not.

As for the comments themselves.... well Bojo's clearly got it wrong, hasn't he? St Paddy's day is just an excuse for a p*ss up, nothing more. Hardly "lefty Sinn Fein crap" in all honesty!

On a more serious note, I'm genuinely surprised that likes of The Guardian/Observer hasn't reported it because they love this sort of thing....

Oh, and apparently the "Irish community" (tm) are outraged over his comments.... what, all of them? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    More faux outrage about something we already know - Boris is indiscreet and says outrageous things. Come to think of it so does Ken.

These are the two leading candidates we have for London Mayor - and they both like to shock. So lets drop the faux outrage when both do what they do best.

PS The Irish hardly celebrated St Patricks day themselves until a few years ago - it was very much an expats thing in New York/London. I always assumed it was one big effective marketing campaign for Guiness - as it seems to be entirely about drinking yourself into a stupor and nothing to do with St Patrick at all!:D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    makara80 wrote: »
    Oh, and apparently the "Irish community" (tm) are outraged over his comments.... what, all of them? :rolleyes:

I could be argued to be part of the 'Irish community' - and frankly I couldn't give a toss about the St Patricks day event in Trafalgar Square or Boris's comments about it.

"An open letter criticising Mr Johnson's comments was sent to the ‘Guardian’ newspaper ":D Really - fake outrage in the Guardian. Wow! Put it in the Irish Post surely - not the Guardian

And I am sure that's the view of most Irish people (first or second generation. This is just an excuse for a few lefties to throw their arms up in horror - just like the righties do too when Ken talks about gay people getting their willies cut off in Dubai.

Can we not discuss London's problems - gangs, housing, transport, crime - the real things that the Mayoral campaign should be about. Not all this garbage!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, basically he's saying one particular St Patrick's Day event is "crap". It's not a criticism of the Irish People, just an observation on one local celebration.

I'm a great fan of many thinks Irish but, to be frank, a lot of things associated with St Patrick's Day, are "crap", especially in those countless fake "Oirish" bars which are run by Polish and Romanian staff. The day itself it little more than an advertising promotion by Guinness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    So, basically he's saying one particular St Patrick's Day event is "crap". It's not a criticism of the Irish People, just an observation on one local celebration.

I'm a great fan of many thinks Irish but, to be frank, a lot of things associated with St Patrick's Day, are "crap", especially in those countless fake "Oirish" bars which are run by Polish and Romanian staff. The day itself it little more than an advertising promotion by Guinness.

I don't think that's what the 'outrage' is about, it's more to do with his association of something (anything?) Irish with 'lefty Sinn Fein crap', when it had nothing to do with them.

Also the event in question was a self-financing dinner attended by diplomats and other semi-important people, so I'm not entirely sure what he gained by cancelling it.

He's a walking joke though, so I can't say I'm particularly bothered by anything he says. I doubt there are many people, Irish or otherwise, who take him seriously.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm appalled by him being harboured by the UK press/media. The Evening Standard featured the majority of this interview but omitted the comments I highlighted. The fact that London's free evening paper is nothing more than Tory propaganda is dreadful. There is no balance these days.

And he shows his true typical Tory colours by equating Sinn Fein with being Irish. ****..
  • Options
    makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm appalled by him being harboured by the UK press/media. The Evening Standard featured the majority of this interview but omitted the comments I highlighted. The fact that London's free evening paper is nothing more than Tory propaganda is dreadful. There is no balance these days.

And he shows his true typical Tory colours by equating Sinn Fein with being Irish. ****..

You're not really though are you.

You're quite right to bump your own thread though as it clearly wasn't getting the attention that you hoped it would! ;) Don't worry, there's still time for it to all kick off!
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe because it's a non-story...:yawn:
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makara80 wrote: »
    You're not really though are you.

You're quite right to bump your own thread though as it clearly wasn't getting the attention that you hoped it would! ;) Don't worry, there's still time for it to all kick off!
    Grow up; there is no need for your immature response. I'm not some insecure keyboard warrior mentally jerking off to the visions of my thread getting loads of replies. I am making a point which has not been reported in a GB newspaper. I can't recall a time when the media wasn't so pro-Tory. The Evening Standard is getting worse day by day with its blatant political indoctrination.

And what Boris said IS disgusting. There was nothing wrong with Ken's comments. As with Gordon Brown's "bigot" comment, it's biased media organisations trying to make something out of nothing.