So even more rubbish could happen.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Good call

Even more so if he wins US, which I think he will

I assume he'll be there this year? I mean the night will pretty much be about him

EDIT- Andy that is!

On the night, it might be a big clue whos gonna win it if Andy is actually there, cause if hes 2nd or 3rd, i imagine he will be in Miami as normal, doing his warm weather training
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    On the night, it might be a big clue whos gonna win it if Andy is actually there, cause if hes 2nd or 3rd, i imagine he will be in Miami as normal, doing his warm weather training

Eh the votings done on the night and there is absolutely zero chance he's not winning this
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    Is there a very outside shot of Gareth Bale getting nominated seeing as he's a bit of a media darling these days?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yaaawwwnnn...
  • Options
    Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Good call

Even more so if he wins US, which I think he will

I assume he'll be there this year? I mean the night will pretty much be about him

EDIT- Andy that is!

$imon fuller will drag him there if he won't;)
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a very outside shot of Gareth Bale getting nominated seeing as he's a bit of a media darling these days?

Doubt it, if he'd helped Spurs win a trophy then he may have had a chance but as merely the best player in a team that had, on the whole, an average season there isn't much reason to include him (unless he goes absolutely mental at the start of this season).

If a footballer's going to be nominated it'll be Lampard based on him breaking the Chelsea goalscoring record and his overall contribution to English football, but even that's not a given by any means.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Oliviera for Overseas Personality. New 200 m and 100 m World Records set in July 2013, the latter in the Anniversary Games
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Murray is currently 40/1 odds on favourite to win SPOTY 2013.

Not even Justin Rose doubling up to win Golf's PGA Championship; or Lewis Hamilton completing a highly unlikely F1 Championship win in a Mercedes car written off before the start of the season will stop that.
  • Options
    Paul_MearsPaul_Mears Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    At the moment I still think its Murray.Second I think it will be Froome so really its a matter of whether more Tennis or cycling fans watch on the night.I am positive that the World Athletics Championships and the Ashes will provide some competition including Anderson,Root,Swann,or Farah.I hope Laura Trott gets young personality.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a Manchester United player gets nominated, then the chances are their sheep-like supporters will vote for him in their droves, a bit what like happened with Giggs a few years back.

However, now the BBC have Gerrymandered the selection process to ensure it ticks all the boxes of their PC requirements, the chances of this happening will be remote.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    If a Manchester United player gets nominated, then the chances are their sheep-like supporters will vote for him in their droves, a bit what like happened with Giggs a few years back.

However, now the BBC have Gerrymandered the selection process to ensure it ticks all the boxes of their PC requirements, the chances of this happening will be remote.

I think the first is very unlikely now - The only award Man U might get is their ex manager getting a life time award.

As for the 2nd comment - I doubt anyone would have too many issues with Murray winning the main award.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB's swimmers can definitely be ruled out of the team award.

Murray will probably win the main award.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray is a strong contender. Strong enough I'm considering making a small bet on him.
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Murray is a strong contender. Strong enough I'm considering making a small bet on him.

Unless your 'small bet' is thousands then I really wouldn't bother.

Best price is 1/33 I think.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would make that small, large. Or the return wont be worth it
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd vote Mo, assuming he does the double again in the World Champs - I'm not sure people really understand how extraordinary he is. But Andy already beat him last year without the magic of Wimbledon, so it's nailed on for the Scotsman. And I'm fine with that.

In fact, I'm just delighted that we've got such amazong contenders!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul_Mears wrote: »
    At the moment I still think its Murray.Second I think it will be Froome so really its a matter of whether more Tennis or cycling fans watch on the night.I am positive that the World Athletics Championships and the Ashes will provide some competition including Anderson,Root,Swann,or Farah.I hope Laura Trott gets young personality.

Haha what?

It won't even be close between them. It won't be only tennis fans voting for Murray either, basically all the public appreciate the magnitude of winning a Wimbledon title.

Chris Froome will only come close if he discovers a cure for malaria :p

To say it'll be a landslide is putting it mildly, you'll get Murray at 1/50 in a few bookies
  • Options
    Forum Member

Put 33 on him and you can buy yourself a mars bar with your winnings!
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    are we to take this question seriously?

they may as well give the award to Andy now

Yes, you say that but the nutty feminists haven't got to work yet. Think of all those successful female sports women this year.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Christine Ohuruogu is a cert for the top 10 after that incredible race, I wonder if she can crack the top 3? She hasn't got enough credit for a great career and this might just be the one that changes all that.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christine will definitely be in the top 10 now. What a run!!!
  • Options
    benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go with Murray - Farah - Froome at the moment.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    I think Christine Ohuruogu is a cert for the top 10 after that incredible race, I wonder if she can crack the top 3? She hasn't got enough credit for a great career and this might just be the one that changes all that.

Yep. Vastly under rated in this country. 2 world golds, Olympic gold and silver and just doing one event too
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you say that but the nutty feminists haven't got to work yet. Think of all those successful female sports women this year.

Isn't that a little paranoid? You make it sound as if the "nutty feminists" have a track record of campaigning for an undeserving female winner to win, which has actually resulted in an unfair win. When has that happened in the past?

I think the recent winners have all been deserving, but if there is a trend that suggests campaigning, you need to look towards the cyclists.

Women's sport is under-represented in the UK media, so I think it's right that noises are made to address that balance, but I don't think it's in anyone's interests to lobby for a winner that doesn't deserve it. Ironically, someone I thought should have been on last year's list, and who I think would have ranked high, was Laura Trott. :D

Christine is a good shout for someone who definitely deserves a nomination. Unfortunately, we have so few high profile women in sport compared with men that it can feel a bit political to those who don't follow those sports. She's fairly well known, so hopefully she'd get a reasonable ranking if she does get a nomination.