BBC Breakfast - Revolving Door Sunday

Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We are approaching the second anniversary of BBC Breakfast's move to Salford. As a result of this move, this created three presentation teams; Monday-Wednesday presented by Bill Turnbull and the now-departed Susanna Reid; Thursday-Saturday presented by Charlie Stayt and Louise Minchin and Sunday, which is just about anyone, which is why I've titled this thread (I have seen Sunday referred to as "Pick 'n Mix Sunday" on another forum) and because of the randomness of who is presenting on this day, this deserves its own thread. Over the past 2 years, the following have hosted Breakfast on Sunday:-

Jon Kay, Roger Johnson, Nicholas Owen, Tim Muffett, Adam Parsons, Simon McCoy, John Maguire

Naga Munchetty, Sally Nugent, Steph McGovern, Jenny Hill, Deborah McKenzie, Sian Lloyd, Katherine Downes

(Apologies if I've forgotten anyone)

The pairing for Sunday 16th March will be Jon Kay and Naga Munchetty.

It's a similar situation with the presenter of the sports news within the programme. Sally Nugent presents Monday-Thursday and Mike Bushell does Friday-Saturday and as for Sunday, it appears any random person at the BBC Sports Centre slots in.

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would make more sense to have one pair of presenters do Monday-Thursday (as Sky do) and the others Friday-Sunday. I appreciate the hours are anti-social but they are well paid. It's always a bit unpredictable about Sunday presenters. Personally I like the dry comments of Nicholas Owen and Simon McCoy. I don't really think Susanna is going to be greatly missed but ITV never learn do they, even after the Chiles/Bleakley fiasco. All the evidence is viewers don't follow the presenters and often actually resent them changing channels.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    We are approaching the second anniversary of BBC Breakfast's move to Salford. As a result of this move, this created three presentation teams; Monday-Wednesday presented by Bill Turnbull and the now-departed Susanna Reid; Thursday-Saturday presented by Charlie Stayt and Louise Minchin and Sunday, which is just about anyone, which is why I've titled this thread (I have seen Sunday referred to as "Pick 'n Mix Sunday" on another forum) and because of the randomness of who is presenting on this day, this deserves its own thread. Over the past 2 years, the following have hosted Breakfast on Sunday:-

Jon Kay, Roger Johnson, Nicholas Owen, Tim Muffett, Adam Parsons, Simon McCoy, John Maguire

Naga Munchetty, Sally Nugent, Steph McGovern, Jenny Hill, Deborah McKenzie, Sian Lloyd, Katherine Downes

It's a similar situation with the presenter of the sports news within the programme. Sally Nugent presents Monday-Thursday and Mike Bushell does Friday-Saturday and as for Sunday, it appears any random person at the BBC Sports Centre slots in.

Sounds like a good idea to me - less viewers on a Sunday so less pressure, so they can try out newer talent.

OR - they could just go and poach Lorraine Kelly to do one show a week for a million pounds a year !!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And does it really matter, as long as the job gets done, and done professionally?

And if the current setup also suits the existing arrangements elsewhere (be it im the Sports dept, BBC News channel duties, regional duties etc), why worry about changing it and thereby making it more inflexible?
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would make more sense to have the Sunday Breakfast from London.

With Match of the day starting around 7.30 half of Breakfast is only on the News Channel.

They could save money sending London people like Nicholas Owen up to Salford.

Would anyone notice the lack of a sofa?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you go into Tesco or Asda and question that they have different staff on a Sunday?

Does it really matter if they have different presenters every Sunday they are there to read an autocue for a few hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a rather curious editorial decision on Breakfast this morning not to carry the Malaysian PM's press conference on the missing aircraft but to show the film review and then Click instead. When you consider there are very few live events Breakfast can carry at 6.15 in the morning (and this was their main story in any case) it would seem pretty obvious that you should show it instead of having to wait 45 minutes to find out what had happened.The film review and Click are shown several times during the day in any case. Sky did have the sense to carry it.Not often Breakfast is caught napping editorially but it certainly was this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a thread in the DS TV forum that was asking why this morning BBC Breakfast seemed to be shown on BBC one, and News channel output on the News channel. It looks like they might have split the two channels in order for the News channel to carry full coverage of the Malaysian news conference.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1948624

Watching at around 6:30 on BBC one, I did notice that Louise gave an update from the news conference and said that they would keep viewers updated.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC News Channel missing the UN Security Council Vote the BBC decided to go with Eton comments by Gove.
  • Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The breakfast show should be reformed to be presented by respectable older people who know what their on about on politics and current affairs etc rather than the grating pairs of revolving flunkies they currently use. They need some people with gravitas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    BBC News Channel missing the UN Security Council Vote the BBC decided to go with Eton comments by Gove.
    Well, that vote was always going to be a foregone conclusion, Russia was always going to veto it.

Not the best editorial decision however
  • tricky22tricky22 Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naga Munchetty - This woman is such a camera hogger...wont shut up!
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or, they could just "axe" Breakfast on Sundays and replace it BBC News? Normally Breakfast is only 6:00-7;30 on Sundays, so it wouldn't make a difference.

Give the gig to Nicholas Owen and/or Naga Munchetty or any other News Channel presenter who is perfectly capable.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV are starting a weekend show with Aled Jones the BBC will not axe the Sunday breakfast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    There's a thread in the DS TV forum that was asking why this morning BBC Breakfast seemed to be shown on BBC one, and News channel output on the News channel. It looks like they might have split the two channels in order for the News channel to carry full coverage of the Malaysian news conference.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1948624

Watching at around 6:30 on BBC one, I did notice that Louise gave an update from the news conference and said that they would keep viewers updated.

I was watching on BBC1 and they certainly didn't show the press conference at which significant new information emerged. It has been the BBC's lead story all day so clearly an error of judgement which will no doubt be shrugged off in next week's Newswatch. Breakfast rarely (if ever) has a live event at that time in the morning but the editor clearly deemed it more important to show a couple of lightweight pre-recorded programmes which are shown many times during the day.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, let's not try out new people...then when someone else does a 'Susanah' they'll be toiling to find a replacement!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    The irony is, the Sunday edition still gets about 1m viewers which is still well above what Daybreak gets on a regular day. I think the remaining presenters now all live in the North West so with Susanna gone, they're probably in a better position to negotiate Monday-Thursday and Friday-Sunday presenters. Sundays are always an after thought to keep the rest happy throughout the week, but not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naga Munchetty seems out of place on the Breakfast TV sofa. She's more of an economics/business correspondent than a breakfast news host.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I was watching on BBC1 and they certainly didn't show the press conference at which significant new information emerged.
    They said that they would keep us updated with any developments, which does not automatically mean that they would be carrying any of the news briefing, just that they would relay any new items.
    It has been the BBC's lead story all day so clearly an error of judgement which will no doubt be shrugged off in next week's Newswatch. Breakfast rarely (if ever) has a live event at that time in the morning but the editor clearly deemed it more important to show a couple of lightweight pre-recorded programmes which are shown many times during the day.
    I posted a similar reply in the TV forum thread - if you accept that BBC Breakfast is more of a news magazine programme, and the News channel is the place for hard news and news developments, then this split showed exactly why BBC one and the News Channel simulcast BBC Breakfast.

The BBC then have the ability to follow a live news briefing or conference (which is normally of indeterminate length and content) without being compromised by either the format of Breakfast or the BBC one schedule itself.

Would those who watch BBC one Breakfast have been enthralled by what could have been a long and rambling news conference? Or would they have preferred the normal Saturday schedule, knowing that any important updates from said conference would be relayed by the presenters if necessary? And knowing that the NC was carrying full coverage?

There are often remarks from posters here, including your good self, regarding why one programme or another is carried simultaneously on the News channel and BBC one (or BBC Two), but when BBC one splits and chooses not to carry NC output, that is deemed to be wrong too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gavin Esler film review shown at 6.20 am yesterday was repeated at 6.20 am today. Would it not be more logical to repeat it at a different time to catch a different group of viewers ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The Gavin Esler film review shown at 6.20 am yesterday was repeated at 6.20 am today. Would it not be more logical to repeat it at a different time to catch a different group of viewers ?
    Maybe.

But do the same group of people watch on a Sunday morning (when it is customary to have a lie-in) as opposed to a Saturday?

I don't know the answer, just thinking out loud.

Anyway, Film 24 has only recently been shown at those times (it used to be the slot for Reporters on a Saturday), and it is also repeated at other times, with the first showing at 17:45 on a Friday, repeated 21:45. Oddly, iPlayer does not list the weekend early-morning broadcasts at all

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rk5j5/broadcasts/upcoming
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it rather perverse that a strength is being spun as a weakness?

So the BBC has a great highly talented pool to use to present shows and can use many to support the most popular Breakfast show, so what's wrong with that?

I think the motto to ITV is if it ant broke don't change it.

The spectacular failures of ITV and TV AM shows, shows they have got it wrong again and again.

ITV has focused often on one or two personalities thrown millions at them, and it doesn't work.

People tune in for content not personalities, it's not the cover of a book you buy it's what's inside.

ITV fail as it's just the one or two, and no back up team, Regionally, or in the newsroom.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Askam presented the sports news this morning.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do the BBC need two people anyway?

All they do most of the time is take it in turns to read a sentence each. Surely just one person could do this?

Sky have two people, but they seem to use them a lot more intelligently than simply taking turns to read an autocue.

About a year ago, they dropped the Breakfast format for a couple of days, and had just one person who read the headlines. This was exactly what I needed in the morning - the news, no waffle and no dumbing down.

Sadly this crap that they try to pass off as news ends up on the News 24 channel as well, which is supposed to be a serious news channel?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    chaff wrote: »
    Naga Munchetty seems out of place on the Breakfast TV sofa. She's more of an economics/business correspondent than a breakfast news host.
    It's been mentioned before about male and female attire on news programmes. Did you see what she was wearing today? Look like she was dressed up for a swanky night out.

I don't rate Jon Kay either. Especially after the clip of him eyeing up Susanna :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naga was presentable today and John is warm and did a great job.