Options

Goodnight Sweetheart - Actresses

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never seen the final series before, so was very interested to see how it all ended, and I thought it was done quite well.

I watched the first part of the first ever GS yesterday, but had to go out. Gary had just walked into the Royal Oak and thought he was in a theme pub, and Phoebe had just gone to ask her dad directions to Hugh Gaitskill (sp?) house ...... did Gary come up with his MI5 cover in the first episode, or is that yet to come?
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see a "one off" special of this now.

The scene could start where Gary is an old man, and he gets on a bus, and Ron is on there. He stands up and gives the old man his seat, (reference to an old episode where Gary is going to live in the 40's and he tells Ron "if you see an old man on a bus give him your seat, it could be me.")

Then they could start to recognise each other and start talking etc.

This could be about a month after the portal locked in Rons time, but obviously 40 odd years for Gary.

Ron could eventually get Gary to meet up with Yvonne etc.

{edit: oops, holy thread ressurection Batman...seems like I bumped a very old thread. lol Silly me. Well it was a good programme}
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    I would love to see a "one off" special of this now.

The scene could start where Gary is an old man, and he gets on a bus, and Ron is on there. He stands up and gives the old man his seat, (reference to an old episode where Gary is going to live in the 40's and he tells Ron "if you see an old man on a bus give him your seat, it could be me.")

Then they could start to recognise each other and start talking etc.

This could be about a month after the portal locked in Rons time, but obviously 40 odd years for Gary.

Ron could eventually get Gary to meet up with Yvonne etc.

{edit: oops, holy thread ressurection Batman...seems like I bumped a very old thread. lol Silly me. Well it was a good programme}

I'd love to have this come back.

Maybe Yvonne's been in prison for killing Gary as no one knew where he was?

(Reply coming in 13 months?...)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this series and didn't realise there was so much I've missed. I've never even got as far as Gary and Phoebe's baby being born, although I did once see an episode when Gary had "moved" permanently to the 40s, but I thought that was deliberate.

I'll have to look out for the DVDs of the entire series.

(Sorry my reply is 13 months too early, Apprentice 2SA!)
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birdie65 wrote: »
    although I did once see an episode when Gary had "moved" permanently to the 40s, but I thought that was deliberate.

There was an episode early on where Gary decided he had to pick one of the women, chose Phoebe and went back to live in the forties permanently. However, knowing that there was a way back, and faced with the grimness of wartime life, his resolve failed him and he returned to travelling back and forth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am sorry to suddenly send this after so long, just wanted to say how much I loved this programme and still do. Recently bought the dvd of all the series (2nd hand via a dvd shop), I have to agree with all the posts about the downfall of the series towards the end.

The 2nd Pheobe wasn't as good as the first, felt we was finally getting some character building with her.

I would love a bring back, a one-off feature length special - Garry finding a new time portal - coming back to the present and it would be nice to see what he makes of the technically advance since he got locked in as it were...
  • Options
    walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too would love to see an update, maybe bring back Dervla to play Phoebe!

They've brought back Open All Hours and Birds of a Feather, so why not Goodnight Sweetheart?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    benson_79 wrote: »
    It's amazing how popular some things can be. This was a sitcom about a bloke who went back in time to cheat on his missus, and he was the likeable hero of the piece! If you took away the time travel element there'd have been so many complaints.

Or am i getting my wires crossed and was he just trying to help the Dervla Kirwan character and not having it away with her?

Absolutely bang on! It was a comedy about adultery!
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Gary was never made out to be anything other than bad though, So why people suddenly react like this is a shock surprises me

He lies, Cheats, Uses and endangers others all the way through, It is a comedy about a guy who isn't all that likeable. A lot of people only seem to realise this afterwards, Which in a way is testament to how good Nicholas Lyndhurst played Gary and how well he was writted
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    walaboobah wrote: »
    I too would love to see an update, maybe bring back Dervla to play Phoebe!

They've brought back Open All Hours and Birds of a Feather, so why not Goodnight Sweetheart?
    There are probably loads of TV shows that could come back if the writing and acting were up to scratch, but look at birds of a feather a lot of the episodes have been dire.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Gary was never made out to be anything other than bad though, So why people suddenly react like this is a shock surprises me

He lies, Cheats, Uses and endangers others all the way through, It is a comedy about a guy who isn't all that likeable. A lot of people only seem to realise this afterwards, Which in a way is testament to how good Nicholas Lyndhurst played Gary and how well he was writted

Very true. Entire premise of the show is built on deception! I used to wonder how he we really have got on staying in the older period, having grown up in and become accustomed to the developments of the modern era. And how he`d fare once his supply of white fivers printed by Ron dried up. I think I`d have stayed in the modern era not least because the second Yvonne looked like she`d be much more fun in bed...more than a hint of the dom about her..
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once Phoebe and Yvonne were both recast, this show went downhill for me. It never felt the same again, although I did tune in for it's final episode.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    CherylFan wrote: »
    Very true. Entire premise of the show is built on deception! I used to wonder how he we really have got on staying in the older period, having grown up in and become accustomed to the developments of the modern era. And how he`d fare once his supply of white fivers printed by Ron dried up. I think I`d have stayed in the modern era not least because the second Yvonne looked like she`d be much more fun in bed...more than a hint of the dom about her..

I think he did fine in the past, He knew what to invest in, Who to bet on etc. Even though he said he couldn't do those things he would have to once he was stuck there
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The very existence of mobile phones would now make it much harder for the show to work in terms of Gary being able to explain his regular inability to be contacted.
  • Options
    RIPYorkshireTVRIPYorkshireTV Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    There's an argument for a Christmas special which is almost Goodnight Sweetheart in reverse. i.e. Gary walks through a time portal to 2015 and the humour is in all the things that have changed since 1999.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    CherylFan wrote: »

IIRC there was an interview/article by Marks & Gran at the time, that said they wanted to write a piece about a cheating husband who totally gets away with it, and the wives can never find out.
    Once you take away the jeopardy of being found out (which only appeared in a couple of later episodes when Yvonne's friend got Ron to blab, and then when Phoebe came through the time portal into the shop) - then you have a very interesting piece to write, where the audience fully accepts Gary's infidelity, and you are actually on the side of the adulterer.