Options

Buffet King Newcastle and Hygiene Standards

TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After complaints and warnings from health inspector for over a year, was it forced to close and in only 8 days later, does it reopen again.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/owner-laus-buffet-king-newcastle-9776216

I do wonder if these inspectors are doing their jobs, as even before the infestation, the place was not clean and even the judge says so.

Does the sum of a few thousand pounds fine, really affect a millionaire?

I do wonder if this actually affects their business at all, as the place seems just as busy as before.

Comments

• Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey! I used to go there a lot when it first opened but haven't been for years now and I'm glad! Wouldn't get me going to any of their places now after that.

The fine wasn't nearly enough IMO.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it on good authority that one musn't get too worried about insects on food :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that one mustn't get too worried about insects on food :blush:

Not if they are cockroaches-
    As cockroaches feed on human faeces as well as human food they can spread germs that cause disease including salmonella food poisoning and the bacteria Staphlococcus which can cause impetigo.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that one musn't get too worried about insects on food :blush:

A lone fly landing on some food for a few seconds is not going to cause you much harm, the level of insect activity in the establishment mentioned is a different kettle of fish and would pose a risk to peoples health but especially the very young , the elderly and those with a weakened immune system
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It is really funny that people so not seem to look into the place they are eating at . This Indian near me has a really good reputation and quite a few friends have recommended it to me . I decided to check its hygiene rating before I went and it had a 1 out of 5 so that ruled me out .
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was he allowed to remain open for over a year despite the investigation and the continued complaints?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    It is really funny that people so not seem to look into the place they are eating at . This Indian near me has a really good reputation and quite a few friends have recommended it to me . I decided to check its hygiene rating before I went and it had a 1 out of 5 so that ruled me out .

A lot of the score can be in keeping a metric crap ton of paperwork and proof you've done something like inspected the toilets every 15 minutes with a log to prove it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Why was he allowed to remain open for over a year despite the investigation and the continued complaints?

Probably because of the vast amounts of money they were drawing in, and the councils were probably getting quite a healthy return in taxes. The buffet was also a big draw on tourists too, and it being very popular in town.

There was also the lack of inspections, if you look at the timeline, they were at least 6 months apart and it was only due to a member of the public reporting it, did the inspectors go in. Even now, when you check the date of their last inspection, it was back when the restaurant was closed, on 20 January 2015. It's alarming that they haven't been inspected since and they still have a 1 rating (0 rating being the lowest).

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/236229/Lau's-Buffet-King-Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Don't worry, as a couple doors down, the Mandrin/ Little Asia has a zero rating, and I assume it's still open for business, as the last inspection for them was 23 June 2015.

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en-GB/236037/Mandarin/Little-Asia-Newcastle-upon-Tyne

I guess all these people care about is money, regardless what happens in their restaurants, and with fines like these, it hardly affects this millionaire. With so much money, they can quite easily hire cleaning services but don't do so. When they do, it's only to reopen the business and serve people like usual.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »

I agree. I always check somewhere new, and keep an eye on other places too on the Scores On The Doors website

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I always check somewhere new, and keep an eye on other places too on the Scores On The Doors website

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/

However, in the case of Buffet King, they had a 4 rating before being downgraded. You don't know how long it's been unhygienic prior to that. The same can be said with the other ratings, when inspections are over 6 months apart, and it's arguable how thorough they are. Just be mindful of that ratings are set in absolute ;-) . Maybe a better system needs to be thought of.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    However, in the case of Buffet King, they had a 4 rating before being downgraded. You don't know how long it's been unhygienic prior to that. The same can be said with the other ratings, when inspections are over 6 months apart, and it's arguable how thorough they are. Just be mindful of that ratings are set in absolute ;-) . Maybe a better system needs to be thought of.

I do agree with that and I do also look at when a place was last checked, and sometimes it can be two or more years ago and a lot can happen in that time,but I'd never go to a place with fewer than three stars.

I also look at the premises from the outside, are the widows clean, is the paintwork up to scratch, etc, if they don't look after the outside, what are the kitchens like. Of course, all of this can paint an inaccurate picture, but if we looked at every single thing and didn't believe anything we read we'd never eat out
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    A lot of the score can be in keeping a metric crap ton of paperwork and proof you've done something like inspected the toilets every 15 minutes with a log to prove it.

Your right a lot of the rating is down to paperwork...it also doesn't help with inspectors who have different opinions, one will say one thing and a different one will say something else.