Going to Alton Towers without the Smiler?

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
Forum Member
✭✭
Ive been keeping an eye on the ride times website at Alton Towers, and it seems very quiet the thrill rides with either no, or next to no ques.

For context I went last year and enjoyed myself, rode all the big rides many times, the Smiler 4 times.

I am loving the idea of Alton Towers being quiet, and I could be tempted to go again this year, the problem with The Smiler down, and having done everything else last year, im not sure there is any point.

Anyone else think similar? I wonder how many people are not going, not because of the crash, but because the Smiler is shut.

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Ive been keeping an eye on the ride times website at Alton Towers, and it seems very quiet the thrill rides with either no, or next to no ques.

For context I went last year and enjoyed myself, rode all the big rides many times, the Smiler 4 times.

I am loving the idea of Alton Towers being quiet, and I could be tempted to go again this year, the problem with The Smiler down, and having done everything else last year, im not sure there is any point.

Anyone else think similar? I wonder how many people are not going, not because of the crash, but because the Smiler is shut.

I'm going in Friday, everything else is open..

I have Kellogg's tickets for four of us but do what in going to do, chance your luck on the gate..

Rumours of free tickets
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have Kellogg's tickets for four of us but do what in going to do, chance your luck on the gate..

Rumours of free tickets
    gdjman68wasdigi I think me and you have discussed this on another thread.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went last month and it was still worth it. You've got nemesis, air, Rita, oblivion, thirteen and some of the smaller rides are still fun like sonic spinball, river rapids, runaway train, log flune and duel. The grounds are lovely too which make it a very nice day out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gdjman68wasdigi I think me and you have discussed this on another thread.

Sorry, was trying to save you the cost of it was possible...

Sorry for repeating myself
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's still lots of rides to go on. Most we queued for two weeks ago was for Air (the first time we went on it) and that was only a 20 minute queue and that was only because the ride broke down for 10 mins. The queue for Rita was probably about the same, too.

It was a very good day out, and it was good to not be queuing for an hour per ride!

Rumours of free tickets

I was there 2 weeks ago, no free tickets were given away.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    We went there at the weekend it wasn't as busy as the last time we went but it was no way the ghost town that the daily mail was making out either.
    Those ride times aren't 100 percent accurate either. We waited nearly 40 minutes for rita even though it only said 15 mins , although there were some technical difficulties.
    The water park was absolutely heaving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the water park is something I didnt do last year, if I was a to book two days again, maybe do that this year
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    The papers are sensationalising it as usual. It wouldn't be a great story if the headline was 'Alton Towers bit quieter than last year'
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,266
    Forum Member
    I went a couple of weeks ago. It's the height of the school holidays and yet we were walking straight onto all the big rides, even Rita which is virtually unheard of! Oblivion which is in that X-Sector area that the Smiler is in has become almost a ghost ride now, the staff weren't even fussed about packing in the carriages, ours was sent away half empty. The longest queue was 10mins for Nemesis and Ripsaw. Oh and a bit of an extended wait when the log flume broke down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The papers are sensationalising it as usual. It wouldn't be a great story if the headline was 'Alton Towers bit quieter than last year'

The tabloids are just rags

If I buy one its the "I"
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I think the crappy weather has put a lot of people off going.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think the weather played a part as well. It chucked it down Saturday afternoon. Still it was nice to get on the big rides without queuing for an hour and a half.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    I went a couple of weeks ago. It's the height of the school holidays and yet we were walking straight onto all the big rides, even Rita which is virtually unheard of! Oblivion which is in that X-Sector area that the Smiler is in has become almost a ghost ride now, the staff weren't even fussed about packing in the carriages, ours was sent away half empty. The longest queue was 10mins for Nemesis and Ripsaw. Oh and a bit of an extended wait when the log flume broke down.
    to be fair I can see why X-Sector is quiet, The Smilier is shut, and whilst that is the case it can only serves as a reminder, Enterprise is not even close to being a draw, and Oblivion whilst a fine coaster is 17 years old, and is maybe a one trick pony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I went last year it rained all day. Fun though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a brilliant day today, not chocca block but still busy...

They seem to have introduced some new rules regarding some rides, one adults one child .. That sort of thing...

Took some pictures of the Smiler, am assuming it will be coming down
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason why its quiet is cos nobody wants to lose a part of their body like that poor girl did. That Smiler ride has damaged Alton Towers reputation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason why its quiet is cos nobody wants to lose a part of their body like that poor girl did. That Smiler ride has damaged Alton Towers reputation

Oh god no...

It's been a great day .. Don't ruin it... Please
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be full next year when people have forgotten about what happened. The park will just have to hang in there until then and thank their lucky stars they're still open.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Had a brilliant day today, not chocca block but still busy...

They seem to have introduced some new rules regarding some rides, one adults one child .. That sort of thing...

Took some pictures of the Smiler, am assuming it will be coming down

I was pondering a day trip next week, we normally go in the autumn or spring to avoid the peak. Are they still closing at normal summer times?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    I was pondering a day trip next week, we normally go in the autumn or spring to avoid the peak. Are they still closing at normal summer times?

5pm

But we walked onto everything...

That roar Nemesis makes... Best coaster in the country
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    5pm

But we walked onto everything...

That roar Nemesis makes... Best coaster in the country

I love Nemisis! I could just go round and round on that all day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    I love Nemisis! I could just go round and round on that all day!

Well worth going, Nemesis Sub Terra was closed thougH

Buy Kellogg's Cereal , vouchers on the box
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    The Smiler will be going, believe me!

The damage to Alton Towers reputation has already been done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    The Smiler will be going, believe me!

The damage to Alton Towers reputation has already been done.
    no question The Smiler is not open till next year now, however I would hate to never ride it again, and on money terms the cost of the bad PR and bad year, will be nothing compared to having to scrap the Smiler.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no question The Smiler is not open till next year now, however I would hate to never ride it again, and on money terms the cost of the bad PR and bad year, will be nothing compared to having to scrap the Smiler.

Why can't they just call it something else