Replacing my TV and buying a 3DTV advice please

Hi

My 42" is over three years old and it is starting to act strange. the picture is starting to have a blue haze on the picture and white sparkles in each corner. so its time to buy a new one an use this TV in the spare room.

I am interested in buying a 3DTV and because I only have a limited amount of cash I am thinking of buying the following TV

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-5088.aspx

Just two questions

1 The TV is only HD ready does will this difference when viewing 3D?

2 Has anyone else got one?

Thank in advance

Anth

Comments

• AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Hi

My 42" is over three years old and it is starting to act strange. the picture is starting to have a blue haze on the picture and white sparkles in each corner. so its time to buy a new one an use this TV in the spare room.

I am interested in buying a 3DTV and because I only have a limited amount of cash I am thinking of buying the following TV

Just two questions

Thank in advance

Anth

Test yourself out with one first. They cause headaches for about 30% of people.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have thought HD ready was suitable for 3D?
    I thought it had to be Full HD?

That TV has a 1280 x 720 resolution.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Well 3d has nothing to do with the resolution, they could make a 3d sd tv if they wished, the only real bit that matters is that it can handle the frame rate, the pixels have to work much faster to actually show two separate images im time for the glass shutter to open and close,w hereas with normal tv they can get away with smearing one image into another without one noticing much. Most 3dtv are 1080p, because there wasn't much point in putting a high end feature into a low end set.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guessing you will be watching none 3D 99.99% of the time in which case the cash I thought rest of the features where so and so. As somebodt else mentioned the resolution is not 1080 so depending on how close you sit to the set it might be a bit grainy, especially for a 50" screen,
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Just two questions

Thank in advance

Anth

I know you said you were limited in what you can spend, but for an extra £100 you could have the 1080p version - the PS50C680. I got mine online from Pixmania. £799 with a £12 discount code = £787 including free delivery.
  • anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you said you were limited in what you can spend, but for an extra £100 you could have the 1080p version - the PS50C680. I got mine online from Pixmania. £799 with a £12 discount code = £787 including free delivery.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into buying that TV. I did not like the idea of a HD ready TV

Thanks for the advice:)
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    The one you originally looked at is cheaper here. But be careful as it looks like most of them do not include the 3D glasses in the package.
    You will then also need something like SkyHD or 3D compatible blu-ray to make it work.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/3d-tv/samsung/ps50c490/sams-ps50c490
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much did your present set cost?

It's ONLY 3 years old, and it's faulty. Are you happy with that? I wouldn't be.

If I were to ever spend that amount of money on a tv (unlikely) I would expect it to give a lot more service for the money.

Your "solution" to getting poor value for money from your last purchase is put blind faith in a new technology with unproven reliability and hope it's better than the last gamble you took.

I would either get your old set repaired, or replace it with a cheap LCD of similar size.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Just two questions

Thank in advance

Anth

Make & model of this demic set please.When you say over three years old, could it be 5/6/ years old?

JO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    Make & model of this demic set please.When you say over three years old, could it be 5/6/ years old?

JO

Its an LG 42PT85 the specs can be seen here

http://hdtvorg.co.uk/news/articles/2008012402.htm

when I found my receipt for this TV It is three years old in april,it cost me £749. I know it is only (nearly) three years old, it is on for nearly 15 hours a day :eek:.
    I have a grown up family who work shifts go to collage ect, so there is always someone will have the TV on!

However The wife agrees that we need a new TV;), but my son thinks I should spend the money on a good full HDTV and forget about 3D at the moment
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    next time buy from John Leiws and get a 5 year warranty ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    buy a Panny G 20 series

and forget about 3d just now

get Freeview HD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its an LG 42PT85 the specs can be seen here

http://hdtvorg.co.uk/news/articles/2008012402.htm

when I found my receipt for this TV It is three years old in april,it cost me £749. I know it is only (nearly) three years old, it is on for nearly 15 hours a day :eek:.
    I have a grown up family who work shifts go to collage ect, so there is always someone will have the TV on!

However The wife agrees that we need a new TV;), but my son thinks I should spend the money on a good full HDTV and forget about 3D at the moment

Thanks,as its a Lucky Gold I am not surprised, I would not touch them, Integrated PVRs means more can go wrong.
    In my opinion, Go Sony or Panasonic, I went Panasonic due to its multi HD tuners (D28series) from JL
    and yes get a five year warranty, this is excellent advice.
    15 hours a day at say 200 watts:eek:,at least you dont need a room heater

JO
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks,as its a Lucky Gold I am not surprised, I would not touch them, Integrated PVRs means more can go wrong.
    In my opinion, Go Sony or Panasonic, I went Panasonic due to its multi HD tuners (D28series) from JL
    and yes get a five year warranty, this is excellent advice.
    15 hours a day at say 200 watts:eek:,at least you dont need a room heater

JO

Not for the first time..... it's not 'Lucky Gold' it's Lucky Goldstar, previously just Goldstar.

As an aside, the OPs description of the fault is somewhat vague - it's equally possible that it's a poor signal source causing this kind of issue - without an engineer's visit, it is impossible to tell, so jumping to conclusions that the set is automatically faulty is unhelpful.

Buying a Sony or Panasonic doesn't guarantee you a trouble free set, it merely reduces the likelihood of problems.

The OP should probably get the set looked at first, either way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    Not for the first time..... it's not 'Lucky Gold' it's Lucky Goldstar, previously just Goldstar.

As an aside, the OPs description of the fault is somewhat vague - it's equally possible that it's a poor signal source causing this kind of issue - without an engineer's visit, it is impossible to tell, so jumping to conclusions that the set is automatically faulty is unhelpful.

Buying a Sony or Panasonic doesn't guarantee you a trouble free set, it merely reduces the likelihood of problems.

The OP should probably get the set looked at first, either way.

The blue haze appears whichever imput source I use. I have tried different HDML leads with both the PS3 and the Sky HD STB I also have the blue haze which covers two thirds of the screen when watching DTV. One thing I did not mention is the screen goes back to normal after about 10 mins but then I have white sparkles in both corners at the top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blue haze appears whichever imput source I use. I have tried different HDML leads with both the PS3 and the Sky HD STB I also have the blue haze which covers two thirds of the screen when watching DTV. One thing I did not mention is the screen goes back to normal after about 10 mins but then I have white sparkles in both corners at the top.

Well it sounds faulty - but I'm not an engineer.

Others (e.g John Currie, Nigel Goodwin) may be able to offer more insight on what is the problem here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alan you know why I call it Lucky Gold, to others Lucky Gold was one of the names put forward to the Welsh Development agency for funding. The name Lucky Goldstar was considered not in keeping for funding,so they tried Lucky Gold,even worse but took advice and got the £millions with LG.

Bob
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,452
    Forum Member
    Well it sounds faulty - but I'm not an engineer.

Others (e.g John Currie, Nigel Goodwin) may be able to offer more insight on what is the problem here.

Impossible to say without seeing it, but the most likely cause would be the screen itself (most LCD/Plasma problems are).

As it's an LG Plasma, they are well known for having aging problems with the PDP - which causes this kind of fault. Last I heard they were fitting updated PCB's in the sets to correct the problem.

It would probably be worth contacting LG, as it's obviously a known manufacturing defect they have had to correct.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impossible to say without seeing it, but the most likely cause would be the screen itself (most LCD/Plasma problems are).

As it's an LG Plasma, they are well known for having aging problems with the PDP - which causes this kind of fault. Last I heard they were fitting updated PCB's in the sets to correct the problem.

It would probably be worth contacting LG, as it's obviously a known manufacturing defect they have had to correct.

If you are talking about the sparklies problem, first change the carp capacitors on the Ysus board, and if that doesn't fix it, trimming the Va and Vb on the Ysus can cure it, by matching the voltages to the ageing panel. A bit trial and error usually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alan you know why I call it Lucky Gold, to others Lucky Gold was one of the names put forward to the Welsh Development agency for funding. The name Lucky Goldstar was considered not in keeping for funding,so they tried Lucky Gold,even worse but took advice and got the £millions with LG.

Bob

I'm highly sceptical that the name change was driven by the WDA. A more plausible explanation is found on Wikipedia:

Company history

The company was originally established in 1958 as GoldStar, producing radios, TVs, refrigerators, washing machines, and air conditioners.[6] The LG Group was a merger of two Korean companies, Lucky and GoldStar, from which the abbreviation of LG was derived. The current "Life's Good" slogan is a backronym. Before the corporate name change to LG, household products were sold under the brand name of Lucky, while electronic products were sold under the brand name of GoldStar (Hangul:금성). In January 2009 LG was able to buy the domain name, LG.com, placing it among the companies who own their two letter brand's domain name.[7]

And LG weren't the only electronics company who were attracted to the UK and have subsequently moved away (usually when CRT production ended) owing to the relatively high cost of manufacturing. Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sanyo, Tatung have all done exactly the same.