Options

Oscar Predictions

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After seeing Jessica Chastain in the film, i really do not see her winning and find her performance actually one of the weakest ones she has done. She isn't awful, she plays her part well but i wouldn't give her any awards for it. She doesn't make the character her own or giving her any identity, especially if you look at her amazing performances in Help, Shelter, Tree of life etc.

I have also seen Helen Mirren in Hitchcock and I thought it was one of her weakest career performances.

I just now need to see the performances from Rachel Weiz, Naomi Watts, Marion Cotillad and Jennifer Lawrence. They are also the other oscar contenders.

Also, Nicole Kidman is beyond amazing in The Paperboy. I would give her the oscar in a heartbeat personally. It's a very different role for her compared to previous roles. I just hope the oscars recognize her because it's my fav performance from an actress i have seen in a little while, especially for a supporting role.
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Lolno. Day-Lewis is a lock and Bradley will be lucky to get a nomination. I think he absolutely deserves a nomination, but if he does get in he's not going to be competitive.
    I'd rather she lose this year and go on to win for playing Diana next year. Diana would be a MUCH better film for her to win on. I think Best Actress is the acting category with the most uncertainty. Atm it's looking like either Jen or Jessica (my vote would go to Jen personally), but Naomi is actually pretty close to becoming a real contender.

He'll get one :)

Why do you think this?:)
    Blah123 wrote: »
    Naomi was awesome in The Impossible. I would like to see the wee lad Lucas from the filmed nommed for Best Supporting Actor.

Isn't he too young for that award?:confused:
    Jennifer Lawrence & Day Lewis are a shoe-in for best actress and actor.

Best film is a head to head between Lincoln & Les Mis, the former looks a cert but it may be closer than that.

Might be some value in Affleck or Bigelow in the Director, haven't seen either of them though.

I've only ever seen Lawrence in The Hunger Games and she was great in that.
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Naomi *could* be a contender, but I don't think she'll win. IMO it'd be better for her to lose anyway because then she'd be more "due" to win next year for Diana which would be much more deserving.

How can you say this when you haven't seen Diana? what's the film about?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would he be too young? There isn't an age limit?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    naomi watts may not have it easy for the oscar next year for diana, nicole kidman may fight her for it for playing princess grace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I've been very happy to hear that Rachel Weisz is being rumoured for a nomination for Best Actress for her role in The Deep Blue Sea, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Golden Globes next week.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Taz93 wrote: »
    Why do you think this?:)

How can you say this when you haven't seen Diana? what's the film about?

Because she was pretty one-note in The Impossible and borderline supporting. She was good, but she didn't do much beyond screaming. Whereas Diana is bound to be much meatier and tricky to do because she'll be portraying a real person who EVERYONE knows. (Princess Diana, in case it wasn't clear)

I'm not saying she WILL win, I just think at the moment it's pretty likely :p Look at Meryl last year with Tatcher lol.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »
    Isn't he too young for that award?:confused:

He's 16, Anna Paquin won best supporting actress aged 11 in 1994, there is no age limit. He won't get nominated though.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of kids have been nominated for oscars. Tatum O'N'eal won one in the 70's at the same of 11. The little boy from Sixth sense even got a nomination as well.

I think Naomi is likely a shoe in for an oscar next year for Diana, so you guys are likely right. The oscars love it when a real person is portrayed, especially as someone as beloved as Diana
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Loads of youngsters have been nominated. The youngest was Justin Henry for Kramer VS Kramer aged 8. Tatum O Neal remains the youngest winner. Even Jodie Foster was nominated as a child for Taxi Driver.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Django seems to be generating a lot of buzz right now and has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes as it stands. Could do well for Tarantino.

I have my fingers crossed for Samuel L. Jackson.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    I have my fingers crossed for Samuel L. Jackson.

Too controversial a performance I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have my fingers crossed that Bradley Cooper will get the last nomination in the Best Actor category.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing Jessica Chastain in the film, i really do not see her winning and find her performance actually one of the weakest ones she has done. She isn't awful, she plays her part well but i wouldn't give her any awards for it. She doesn't make the character her own or giving her any identity, especially if you look at her amazing performances in Help, Shelter, Tree of life etc.

I have also seen Helen Mirren in Hitchcock and I thought it was one of her weakest career performances.

I just now need to see the performances from Rachel Weiz, Naomi Watts, Marion Cotillad and Jennifer Lawrence. They are also the other oscar contenders.

[B]Also, Nicole Kidman is beyond amazing in The Paperboy. I would give her the oscar in a heartbeat personally. It's a very different role for her compared to previous roles. I just hope the oscars recognize her because it's my fav performance from an actress i have seen in a little while, especially for a supporting role[/B].

I couldn't agree more with you. Nicole is amazing. I'm really routing for her. :)
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Naomi Watts has to win Best Actress? Saw The Impossible yesterday and she was amazing.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, Nicole Kidman is beyond amazing in The Paperboy. I would give her the oscar in a heartbeat personally. It's a very different role for her compared to previous roles. I just hope the oscars recognize her because it's my fav performance from an actress i have seen in a little while, especially for a supporting role.

She hasn't got a hope of Supporting Actress, not when Anne Hathaway has given the performance of her career and Sally Field's put in another contender. A nomination is the best she can hope for, and at least she's got one at the Golden Globes and the SAG Awards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She hasn't got a hope of Supporting Actress, not when Anne Hathaway has given the performance of her career and Sally Field's put in another contender. A nomination is the best she can hope for, and at least she's got one at the Golden Globes and the SAG Awards.

I personally rate Nicole much higher than Anne Hathaway. Nicole has won her Oscar for The Hours 10 years ago. She also received 2 more nominations. Now with The Paperboy i think she absolutely deserves a nomination. One of her finest performances. I'm not saying she should win no but deserves a nomination. If she does get nominated and wins ill be over the moon but I'm happy with a nomination for her hard work and memorizing performance. Yes Sally Field deserves a nomination and I'm sure Helen Hunt and Amy Adams will be nominated. I think Nicole has a good chance with her Golden Globe and SAG nominations already as well as critic's praise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would Bradley not get the last oscar nomination as he's won loads of the awards already? Surely it's an indicator of how the awards are being thought out? Surely he'll get the last nomination slot? Or do all the awards up to the GG and the Oscars not really matter?

:)
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    The BAFTA nominations are out on Wednesday so that could give probably the best indication of what the Academy will nominate the next day since so many members of the British Academy are also members of AMPAS.

Politics may scupper the chances of a couple of the big contenders. After the recent shootings and Tarantino's ill advised comments (he had a point but it was the wrong time to make it) I suspect Django isn't going to make much headway. Zero Dark 30 is also surrounded by controversy at the moment.

Also those saying that Day-Lewis has it in the bag remember he's had front runner status before and lost out. 2002 Adrian Brody sneaked what everyone thought was his Oscar right out from under Day-Lewis's nose. Now I'm not saying that will happen again just that it could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    The BAFTA nominations are out on Wednesday so that could give probably the best indication of what the Academy will nominate the next day since so many members of the British Academy are also members of AMPAS.

Politics may scupper the chances of a couple of the big contenders. After the recent shootings and Tarantino's ill advised comments (he had a point but it was the wrong time to make it) I suspect Django isn't going to make much headway. Zero Dark 30 is also surrounded by controversy at the moment.

Also those saying that Day-Lewis has it in the bag remember he's had front runner status before and lost out. 2002 Adrian Brody sneaked what everyone thought was his Oscar right out from under Day-Lewis's nose. Now I'm not saying that will happen again just that it could.

Thanks for that, very interesting :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I reckon Paranorman will win for Best Animation, would like to see The Pirates! In an Adventure With Scientists bag a nomination too.

My best bet for Supporting Actor is Alan Arkin. Javier Bardem might also get nominated for Skyfall but I don't think he'll win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any surprises in the Bafta noms?

Are the Bafta noms usually a good indicator for the Oscars?
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Any surprises in the Bafta noms?

Are the Bafta noms usually a good indicator for the Oscars?

I'd say the inclusion of Ben Affleck in Leading Actor and the lack of nomination for either John Hawkes or Denzel Washington in that category, and the fact that there's no space for Naomi Watts in Lead Actress or Nicole Kidman in Supporting Actress are probably the biggest surprises.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Surely the Hobbit has to win something...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the inclusion of Ben Affleck in Leading Actor and the lack of nomination for either John Hawkes or Denzel Washington in that category, and the fact that there's no space for Naomi Watts in Lead Actress or Nicole Kidman in Supporting Actress are probably the biggest surprises.

I Agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever been nominated for a Golden Globe and a Bafta but NOT an Oscar?