Options

Ashes 2013-2014 terrestrial TV highlights

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    A few thousand? Not even worth making a lower offer if it's only going to be by a few thousand. Very poor from Sky. The 10pm rule is stupid enough as it is.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Sky still demanding a stunningly high price. It did drop but only by a few thousand.
    I think they want exclusivity, which IMO is just moronic.
    And a huge shame on CA for selling the FTA rights bundled into the Sky deal. Utterly appalling

Why do you think it's moronic from Sky's part? I appreciate that there are a large number of people who are frustrated that they won't be able to watch highlights but from Sky's point of view I can see the benefits in maintaining exclusivity. It will send a clear message to a lot of cricket fans that if they want to watch England's big games from now on they will have to get Sky Sports.

Unless the government steps in, I think the days of high profile sport on FTA are numbered.
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt Sky want to bring cricket to more people (campaign over the summer)?

If so, sell the highlights or put them on Pick TV!!!!!
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    I really hope they can pull the iron out of the fire at the last moment and sort something out here.

I have great memories of that highlights show on ITV4 3 years ago....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I guess BT Sport is out of the running then? With the number of live streaming sites (all unofficial of course) Sky will be daft not to get some money for FTA highlights. You are not going to suddenly subscribe to Sky for highlights are you?!
    Actually showing on PICK (TV) wouldn't be a bad thing as they can plug LIVE ACTION on SKY SPORTS every 5 minutes!! Snooker on ITV4 is only on for about a week, so a quick time rejiggle for Cricket highlights isn't the end of the world. Lets face it ITV is getting quite barren with sports, oops I meant will be getting quite barren with sports, so doing a Murdoch "buddy deal" for highlights of sports wouldn't be a bad thing. Live on Sky & highlights on ITV4 for cricket, then maybe football.....
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Why do you think it's moronic from Sky's part? I appreciate that there are a large number of people who are frustrated that they won't be able to watch highlights but from Sky's point of view I can see the benefits in maintaining exclusivity. It will send a clear message to a lot of cricket fans that if they want to watch England's big games from now on they will have to get Sky Sports.

Unless the government steps in, I think the days of high profile sport on FTA are numbered.

Because claiming exclusivity won't bring them a stream of new subscribers, but a more sizeable pack of hatred because have a rights pack they will not be using yet refusing to sell at what could be called a reasonable price.

This is the one thing i detest about Sky and rights it buys but will not sell on or use. Its wrong, plain and simple!
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stej86 wrote: »
    Sky Sports 2 and Sky Sports 2 HD will also show 1 hour highlight programs of the previous days play at 10am,12pm,2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm and 9pm.

9pm is The Verdict, not actual highlights.

Glad to see the 10am, midday, 2pm, 4pm and 6pm showings as well though. I genuinely wondered if they would try and "save up" anticipation for the highlights by leaving them until prime-time at 8pm only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Ashes highlights will be on Pick at 10PM each night, a few hours before play begins
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    The Ashes highlights will be on Pick at 10PM each night, a few hours before play begins

A few hours? More like maybe 60-90mins before it begins. SSN highlights for me just so I can watch sooner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    A few hours? More like maybe 60-90mins before it begins. SSN highlights for me just so I can watch sooner.

Well, a few hours depending on which test :D
    But atleast there will be FTA highlights, and everyone rubbished Pick.. Where's Dansky+HD when you need him :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but given the time, plus it not exactly being on a remotely major channel means I expect the figures to be pitiful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Yeah but given the time, plus it not exactly being on a remotely major channel means I expect the figures to be pitiful.

I don't know about pitiful, they usually get good numbers when they have free weekends and im sure they'll promote Ashes highlights on Pick.
    It has a good EPG listing on DTT which will help and its on Freesat too, so id be surprised if it tanked
  • Options
    rubricrubric Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Following this with interest, as I have Virgin Media but don't currently subscribe to Sky Sports and even day-old highlights would be sufficient tv coverage for me. Good news about Pick if this is true. Should say I've done a quick search of the TV Guide and Radio Times sites and there's no mention - yet anyway. Is Popeye able to say where he got hold of this late breaking news?! Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rubric wrote: »
    Following this with interest, as I have Virgin Media but don't currently subscribe to Sky Sports and even day-old highlights would be sufficient tv coverage for me. Good news about Pick if this is true. Should say I've done a quick search of the TV Guide and Radio Times sites and there's no mention - yet anyway. Is Popeye able to say where he got hold of this late breaking news?! Thanks.

I am indeed :)
    The Sky EPG followed by a quick email with a buddy at Sky.
  • Options
    JamSirJamSir Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have now confirmed on the @Pick_TV Twitter feed that they will be showing Ashes highlights on Pick starting on Thursday at 10 pm.
  • Options
    rubricrubric Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Great news:) As someone on Pick's Twitter says, spread the word!
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamSir wrote: »
    Sky have now confirmed on the @Pick_TV Twitter feed that they will be showing Ashes highlights on Pick starting on Thursday at 10 pm.

What number is that channel?
  • Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Freeview 11
  • Options
    dzfootballdzfootball Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Freeview 11
    Sky Channel 152
    Channel 153 (+1)
    Freesat Channel 144

Virgin Media Channel 180
    Smallworld Cable Channel 151
    Channel 163 (+1)
    UPC Ireland Channel 133
    WightFibre Channel 11
    Channel 21 (+1)
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    Awesome news. Ashes here we come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are you now Pick TV doubters? ;)
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Where are you now Pick TV doubters? ;)

Come back to us when they show premium live sport content on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha ha - fair enough.

Now if I was Sky I would put on the biggest c*ck tease of a highlights package possible. It would be 90% adverts for Sky Sports and 10% highlights. People are going to watch it regardless so why not just frustrate them into actually taking out Sky Sports . . . . .
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And in High Definition!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha ha - fair enough.

Now if I was Sky I would put on the biggest c*ck tease of a highlights package possible. It would be 90% adverts for Sky Sports and 10% highlights. People are going to watch it regardless so why not just frustrate them into actually taking out Sky Sports . . . . .

Because that would look good for Sky wouldn't it... :cool:
    They pull a stunt like that, its likely to piss people off into NOT wanting to subscribe.