BT shows novices how to copy DVDs

mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Useful info for novices from BT and I'm pleased to see the warning to always use 'Custom Installation'
http://home.bt.com/techgadgets/computing/the-free-way-to-copy-dvds-to-your-pc-11363932048159

Comments

• Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are DVDs no longer copy protected ?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Useful info for novices from BT and I'm pleased to see the warning to always use 'Custom Installation'
    http://home.bt.com/techgadgets/computing/the-free-way-to-copy-dvds-to-your-pc-11363932048159
    Shame that the law to make copying DVDs for personal use didn't come into force in June as they say. However it should be legal from October.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-copyright-law
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

The first poster in the comments section mustn't realise that playing a film from the DVD drive takes longer than playing a file on the HDD/SSD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    are DVDs no longer copy protected ?

I'm wondering whether this ruling is just in place in the UK or a few other countries as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The first poster in the comments section mustn't realise that playing a film from the DVD drive takes longer than playing a file on the HDD/SSD.

Just to say that files on a flash drive are quicker to play as well.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Is nobody going to mention that the DVD-R in the photo is in the drive upside down and already been burned? Complete failure before we have even reached step 1 :p;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Is nobody going to mention that the DVD-R in the photo is in the drive upside down and already been burned? Complete failure before we have even reached step 1 :p;-)

Yes, I did notice that. It was very strange having an image that shows an upside down DVD-R in a laptop optical drive tray.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still going to be a grey area.

IF the DVD you buy has CSS and UV then you should use the UV copy of the film, breaking the CSS will still be illegal.

IF the DVD does not have CSS, then even if it does have a UV copy you can still make a copy for digital use.

IF the DVD is resold without the UV, you can break the CSS for a digital copy.

If the DVD is from another territory you have always been able to circumvent the Region Protection and the same rules still apply.

You are not allowed to sell the UV copy without the disc it came with and you should delete the UV or any digital copies if you resell the original physical copy.

All this still doesn't really tackle piracy, protect the copyright holder or help the end user too much, but there're less processes that are now technically illegal.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    If the drive has Lightscribe then an image can be burned onto the top surface of the disc instead of labeling the disc with a CD pen or adhesive paper circle.
    This is done after the data burn, and by inserting the disc inverted into the drive.
    Presumably as observed in the photo...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    If the drive has Lightscribe then an image can be burned onto the top surface of the disc instead of labeling the disc with a CD pen or adhesive paper circle.
    This is done after the data burn, and by inserting the disc inverted into the drive.
    Presumably as observed in the photo...

Yeah, I've had Lightscribe in the past. It's amazing to see the end result.